Decent antenna for a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhernan488

I bought a telescoping antenna, are they pretty decent for scanners? I mainly listen to police, but like to scan random frequencies. And when I scan for police in 800mhz, should I have the antenna as short as it can go? This is what I have; Anteenna TW-999BNC BNC Male Handheld Antenna Scanner Antenna (20-1300MHz) With BNC Male connector for Scanner Radio and Frequency Counters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QCJM6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7LBpBbJE4J59D

slicerwizard

You just have to experiment. A short antenna is more resonant at 800 MHz, but a 4 foot antenna can see more due to its height. So outdoors, where signals are largely unobstructed, short is likely to be better, but indoors, where signals may be coming in windows that are at least four feet off the floor, a longer antenna may do a better job at 800. For VHF, you definitely want a longer antenna. These days, scanners typically have a signal strength display, so use it.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I bought a telescoping antenna, are they pretty decent for scanners? I mainly listen to police, but like to scan random frequencies. And when I scan for police in 800mhz, should I have the antenna as short as it can go? This is what I have; Anteenna TW-999BNC BNC Male Handheld Antenna Scanner Antenna (20-1300MHz) With BNC Male connector for Scanner Radio and Frequency Counters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QCJM6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7LBpBbJE4J59D
Is this for a handheld, mobile, or desktop scanner?

Sent using Tapatalk

Jhernan488

You just have to experiment. A short antenna is more resonant at 800 MHz, but a 4 foot antenna can see more due to its height. So outdoors, where signals are largely unobstructed, short is likely to be better, but indoors, where signals may be coming in windows that are at least four feet off the floor, a longer antenna may do a better job at 800. For VHF, you definitely want a longer antenna. These days, scanners typically have a signal strength display, so use it.

Okay thanks for the info! I will definitely use the singnal meter to help me out.

mauiblue

What's wrong with the antenna that came with the scanner? I just got my 436HP and I pick all the freqs I programmed with the OEM antenna.

wbswetnam

What's wrong with the antenna that came with the scanner? I just got my 436HP and I pick all the freqs I programmed with the OEM antenna.

Generally a higher quality antenna will allow you to hear more. I also have a 436HP, but for the antenna I use a Diamond SRH789 telescoping antenna. Fully extended I can hear fringe stations a lot better than with the stock antenna.

Peerlessk

Rant ... for what these company’s charge for the unit/ radio . You would think aftermarket parts would only be needed as replacements for broken pieces/parts . The fact that stock antennas don’t perform as well as aftermarket antennas most of the time is ridicules. An example ? The bcd436 and sds100 both benefit from a better antenna . Both my handhelds perform better away from the windows with aftermarket antennas . Stock ? Not so much they are just MEH ....

mule1075

Feed Provider
Rant ... for what these company’s charge for the unit/ radio . You would think aftermarket parts would only be needed as replacements for broken pieces/parts . The fact that stock antennas don’t perform as well as aftermarket antennas most of the time is ridicules. An example ? The bcd436 and sds100 both benefit from a better antenna . Both my handhelds perform better away from the windows with aftermarket antennas . Stock ? Not so much they are just MEH ....
Nothing new here at all. The stock antennas have been junk for years the only one I thought was any good was the antenna on the x00xlt series in the late 80's.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The problem with stock antennas is that they are tuned for the wide frequency range of the scanner, namely 25-1300 MHz. This is not ideal for specific frequencies, especially 800 MHz. This is why a band specific antenna will always work better.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The antenna normally supplied with a scanner are really not good at any frequency in my experience. There's not a good 'one does all' choice from any manufacture.

With the majority of scanner users today monitoring the 700-800MHz band I would think the factory supplied antenna would be something like the Remtronics 800 (aka Radio Shack RS800). It's optimized for that frequency range and performs decently on the 450MHz band.

Those who monitor aircraft the 150 & 450 bands might be better served by the Diamond RH77CA/SRH77CA antenna.

mauiblue

Generally a higher quality antenna will allow you to hear more. I also have a 436HP, but for the antenna I use a Diamond SRH789 telescoping antenna. Fully extended I can hear fringe stations a lot better than with the stock antenna.

Well thanks a lot. Now I just spent $30 for that antenna you mentioned. Ha!

mauiblue

Well I'm a believer now. I just got the Diamond SRH789 in and it really pulls in some signals I didn't hear before. Thanks.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Well I'm a believer now. I just got the Diamond SRH789 in and it really pulls in some signals I didn't hear before. Thanks.

Just be very careful not to put too much stress on the antenna connector on the scanner. That antenna creates a lot of leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.