SDS100 Analog Conventional Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan007s

Ok, So I finally broke down and got the SDS 100. The digital seems to be working pretty good, but some analog conventional frequencies are choppy and staticky. I put the SDS and a BC355N side by side tuned to the same analog conv frequency, indoors, and the BC355N blew the SDS out of the water. Has anyone else had this problem? It has the latest firmware update. Please let me know. Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you connecting both to the same antenna or separate antennas? If not connecting to the same antenna you're testing antenna performance and location as much as the radios.

ryan007s

Yeah it was 2 separate antennas. I also tuned to the same frequency on my wouxon kgvu3d and it did better than the sds. Is there a better portable antenna for both digital and analog for the scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Antennas don't care about digital or analog, they only care about frequency. What frequencies are you listening to?

ryan007s

I'm not there anymore but I was in Stone Harbor, NJ listening to Wildwood NJ police and fire. 154.9650, 154.1300 the 2 towns are pretty close.

Radiogreg

Same issue

I've had my unit for about a week. The receiver sensitivity is poor. Using as benchmarks NOAA WX broadcasts, neighboring county UHF broadcasts as well as amateur repeaters on both the 2m and 70m band I've concluded that my unit must be defective. My local Phase I trunked system (3 sites, 11 transmit locations) tracks just fine. But then again the rf levels are very strong.

I estimated the receive sensitivity is 3 microvolts for 12 db quieting. 20db quieting is almost 5mv. Not really useable in the real world.

I triple checked to be certain that there was no channel or global attenuation activated.

My comparison radios: GRE 800, RS Pro 96, Unication G-5 and Yeasu VX 6.

ryan007s

Do you have the attenuator turned on? I had that on by mistake and I received terrible analog signal, because it reduces the strength of the signal received.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
The attenuator is turned off. A side-by-side with my 436 with the same antenna reveal that the sds100 has severely degregated performance on analog VHF UHF and 800 . However the p25 performance is great on 700 and 800. And as I mentioned before the audio is extremely tinny way too much trouble on analog making it impossible to listen to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KA9QJG1

I really like My SDS-100 it is the most expensive radio I have ever bought in over 50 yrs in Communications. Us Navy, Law Enforcement, Ham and CB .. The only reason I did was because no other scanners would pick up my local PD/FD On our New E-911 Motorola phase 2 system. because of the simulcasting problems.. I did have a Motorola APX 1000 A friends let me use receive only. Please do not ask or talk about affiliation No it did not transmit.. It was the only radio at the time I could use that worked. But I would rather have a scanner more to listen to than PD/FD, We are all scanner hobbyist.. In Indiana we have the anti-scanner law unless we are exempt it is enforced and I did not want to explain how or why I had the same radio they have even if it did Not transmit. 80 or more percent of PD/FD Have no idea how their radios work..
This Scanner works great overcoming the simulcasting problem and being a big like anything Motorola person I will admit it works as well as the expensive Motorola Apx did. But after reading all the ones on here also having problems with VHF/UHF sensitivity and selectivity I realized it was not just My SDS-100 I have a Motorola Service Monitor to work on My repeaters and other equipment . Myself and a couple of friends who actually work at a Motorola shop took My SDS-100 and theirs Checked all bands and was surprised that they were in specs . It does take a strong sig for close call to work..
But what none of us can figure out is why they do not receive good on different ants on VHF/UHF But work so great on 700/800/900 Mhz.. Now I read here on the group that Uniden is aware of the problem it is a hardware fix and will be done on the New radios being sold . Wow really what about the ones we have now. I know five people in my area that bought them and are saying They do not want to send in their SD-100 And take a chance of it getting scratched up or damaged and be without it for a while . Or at the mercy of some tech talking it apart and working in it. .They will Demand a New One,
So I guess all of us will have to wait and see how this all works out I really like this scanner a lot for being able to pick up our locale Mot Phase 2 System.. But I would still like it to work good on VHF/UHF Close call and others $800.00 Dollars is a lot of money for me Let’s hope Uniden gets the bugs out and makes this Scanner Great Again
Happy Scanning Don KA9QJG

CQ

Change Your Antenna?

I think some of those issues are related to people pushing 700/800Mhz specific antennas and when boredom hits, looking for something else...static on the lower bands.

Glancing through logs and freqs. I've picked up since getting my SDS100 in early June. It's a combination of conventional and digital. I'm sure there's more since I don't run it 24/7 (not even weekly at times) nor do I always log with it. I've even heard some CB traffic on it.

118-140 (typically turn off except when I'm in the mood for some specific MIL)
145-173
223-224
343-351
380-381
385-389
406-419
442-449
451-454
460-464
467-469
494-496

Status