• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX program questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio64thffemt

Hello,
So if you have the Motorola Program software and cable for say an APX 1000,4000, or 6,000 what else do you need for the following?

Everything is already set up and the Zones and talkgroups are already programmed. I am simply wanting to customize some of the buttons ect. Do I need a code plug or anything else to just change what some of the different buttons on the radio do?

For instance I have a APX 6000 that has the scan list option in it. The turn scan on was not placed on it. Can I go in and do this myself? It is a pain to take it in and get it programmed again and it would be nice to see what all the features are available.

Thank you in advance for your help

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
So if you have the Motorola Program software and cable for say an APX 1000,4000, or 6,000 what else do you need for the following?

Everything is already set up and the Zones and talkgroups are already programmed. I am simply wanting to customize some of the buttons ect. Do I need a code plug or anything else to just change what some of the different buttons on the radio do?

For instance I have a APX 6000 that has the scan list option in it. The turn scan on was not placed on it. Can I go in and do this myself? It is a pain to take it in and get it programmed again and it would be nice to see what all the features are available.

Thank you in advance for your help

I dont see why not. Just set up buttons in the control head you use. If have CPS, just read radio, and adjust. Should be under Menu Options. I dealing with an 8500 now, and if best recall, is just a menu option. Adjusting any trunk features, cannot go there i dont think in this forum due to need to be system op and deals with Keys for system(s)

ohio64thffemt

I didn't know if I needed a codeplug or anything else to do this. I I have a APX6000 that has 5 buttons not programmed. Like i mentioned I can also make a scan list but they never set the option to turn scan on and off. I also have an APX 4000. I just would like to see what different button program options they are capable of doing. I don't want to mess with anything else but it would be nice to customize some of the buttons. I just want to make sure if I purchase the CPS software and correct cables if that is all I will have to do.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If it's part of a trunking system you may need an ASK or at least a system key.

ohio64thffemt

It is part of a trunking system. Do I ask the programmer for the key or Ohio Marc's for the system key? I am in charge of the Public Safety Dept that operates the radio's for this particular agency.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Idk what to say. My best guess is the system op has someone to do those. Yet I am sure you have the letterhead to request. I guess ask them. If personal radio, they prolly not going to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Forgot to say. If you have the cps and cBle to read the radio, you will have the codeplug to do what you want and send back to radio. In trunking, that where the system key comes into play. You cannot set talkgroups in scan list in trunking personality without key or edit field for that matter. May be able to create scan list and point to the zone and add the zone channels in the list I think may work and not need key.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Forgot to say. If you have the cps and cBle to read the radio, you will have the codeplug to do what you want and send back to radio. In trunking, that where the system key comes into play. You cannot set talkgroups in scan list in trunking personality without key or edit field for that matter. May be able to create scan list and point to the zone and add the zone channels in the list I think may work and not need key.

Mispoke. If you want the trunking system assigned a scanlist, then yes, need key to edit the trunking personality. If the scanlist is ALRESDY created, then open CPS, read radio, go to radio ergonomics, and on your control head type, add scan as menu item under trunking.

au1344

Premium Subscriber
If you are authorized to program radios on MARCS, you will get your system key from Administrative services, you cannot program a radio on MARCS without this. If you are trying to program a radio on your own for personal use then you will need authorization from the person in charge of radios for your department or DAS and you may also have to pay the subscriber fees. If the person in charge of radios says no to programming a personal radio then you don't program it.

ohio64thffemt

Not a personal Radio. I am aware of the State Radio Marc's ID and User Fees that is already done and being paid. I don't need to ask the person in Charge I am the person in Charge.
The way programming goes is almost a monopoly. Motorola has it set that in certain areas only certain companies can program. I already have them all programmed and we are using them. The issue is this. They are actively being used. It is a logistical nightmare to program them all in one day. It also cost a lot to get it done. Example we had a company spend 8 hours doing programming today. Tonight I found several issues on the radios. This usually happens three or four times every time we program or get something new. I am sick of doing this over and over. I was wondering if I got the program and the cable if I could just do this on my own.

I don't mean set up the entire radio and put the talkgroups in. I just am talking about the features and options programming. DO I need a system key to fix these issues is my question? I am operating multiple locations with almost 70 employees over a large area. It is a 24/7 Operation for a Public safety agency. It is a mess trying to fix all the bugs trying to coordinate with a third party program company. I want to know if simple stuff we can just do ourself.

Is there anything I can do without the systems key?

For example they programmed one radio to do everything including I can set the scan list. However none of the buttons were set to turn the scan list on. So now I have to spend a large amount of time trying to fix that. I am hoping to just be able to fix and change things myself when needed dept wide. I am just simply wanting the capability to program buttons or functions. Does all this make sense now?

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
To be completely honest... it sounds like you've been appointed to take care of the radios because someone isn't happy with how the company hired to do so is handling it. If you don't know if you need a system key or not to edit a codeplug then you probably have no business editing a codeplug. If these are being used for public safety then someone who has been trained to use the software should be doing the programming. It's not just a simple "I want to edit scan lists". If you're on a stateswide system you really need to learn how to work the cps first. There's too much of a chance that you can misprogram a radio without proper training. That's why these big statewide systems are so tight with system keys.

ohio64thffemt

I am not trying to edit a scan list we are trying to be able to turn on the scan list. The people who are supposedly trained to use the software are causing thousands of dollars in down time, logistical nightmare rotating radios around and doing this three of four times every time. This is the supposed Experts doing this. To be honest it can't be much worse. I am trying to learn how to operate the CPS that is why I am on here asking the questions I am. I realize it isn't just as simple. My question is can you do ANYTHING without the code plug? I will ask the state to give us the code plug. I was just asking before hand if I even needed it to do some of the SIMPLE fixes we needed. The Experts are the ones screwing this all up.

ohio64thffemt

When you ask anyone questions about doing this you get the standard. This is for experts only. You will blow up all of North America if you don't know what you are doing. You need to know how to do it. You need to know the secret handshake. I can't get any direct answers or direction on learning to do it.

mancow

Database Admin
You can do quite a bit without a system key. You can assigned a scan list in a trunking personality without one, reorder zones, reorder channels within zones, change button and menu assignments etc...

Just read the radio. Save the original codeplug somewhere for a backup then edit and write back.

ohio64thffemt

WIZARD
I meant to type I would ask for the System Key not Code plug. I was trying to see what could be done with out the SYSTEM KEY

zz0468

QRT
Banned
WIZARD
I meant to type I would ask for the System Key not Code plug. I was trying to see what could be done with out the SYSTEM KEY

Without the system key, you should be able to modify things like button and switch functions. You can add conventional channels. I think you might even be able to add or remove existing TGs to scan lists.

What you can't do is add, remove, or modify trunked systems and TGs.

ohio64thffemt

zz0468
Great thank you so much that is what I was looking for. I was asking exactly that. I appreciate the help. So if I wanted to for example make a side button do something or something different I can simply do that with the program and cable? That is all that I was wanting to do. Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.