First time scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref5035

Hello ,

First of all let me start off by admitting I am probably one of the least most to keep people around,
I’m planning a couple of cross country train trip so I bought a scanner so I can listen in.

I got a Bc125at After opening the instruction book I got a headache after page3 so totally surprised that the complication I’m trying to get this thing started

There has to be some type of an easier way or some help on this that I could get from somebody ...

Appreciate any help thank you

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 125AT is the wrong tool for the job. It's analog only, and cannot receive any of the digital trunked systems used by most public safety agencies. And its memory is too limited to program everything you'd need on a cross-country trip.

What you really need is a scanner with a nationwide database like the BCD436HP or SDS100, preferably with internal GPS installed, so that the scanner can use GPS location info to automatically scan nearby systems and channels as you're traveling.

The scanner you have will let you hear the train crew and other analog stuff (aircraft FRS, GMRS, etc), but that's about it.

Ref5035

Thanks ,,
But I have no idea what any of that talking about what do you mean about search one more time I am completely new I’ve never had a scanner in my life

Ref5035

Reminder. The unit is a complete new device... nothing makes sense for someone first time in the
Scan world ...
What is serv search ?
What is a bank ?

Try to imagine you’re an un experienced pilot and someone puts you on the seat of a 747 and tried to explain to you how to fly

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Reading your original post it appeared to me that you wanted to listen to the trains/railroad. Try giving a little more detail and being more specific exactly what it is you're wanting to accomplish. Then we can give you a more detailed answer.

Nasby

If you are taking a cross country train trip and only want to hear trains, the scanner you have is a great choice.

It comes with easy to follow programming instructions. It also has software that makes programming easier.

You may want to watch some Youtube videos on programming. They are very helpful as well.

Ref5035

Sorry. There’s no way you can say The programming directions are easy....l
Because you deal with this all the time but if you look at my previous comment this is brutal for first timers

Add to make my point I’ve read on here numerous amount of people writing in here for help Thats not understanding

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You tube videos are 4 years old....

The programming process for the 125 hasn't changed in over 4 years, so a 4-year-old video is still just as current as when it was posted.

What does one do when you have an iPad not a desktop ?

Get a cheap Windows netbook. There is no programming software for any brand of radio or scanner that will run on an iPad.

Nasby

Another option (which I would only suggest as a last resort) is paying to have it programmed.

There are places that will program the scanner for a fee.

But you will get years of enjoyment by learing to do it yourself.

As mentioned, the Youtube videos still apply.

You are correct that its easy for us because we have been programming scanners for awhile.

But we were all had to start somewhere (just like you). Stay with it and take your time. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.