Ham Radio Antenna Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newuser12345

Hi, hoping someone can help me with a ham radio antenna question. I’m moving into a house that has a large ham radio antenna with a tower that is bolted on to the side of the house. As I’m not a ham radio person, I’m trying to find someone that can remove it safely for me. Any ideas what type of contractor or company might be able to do this in the Massachusetts area? Are these antennas expensive, should I be trying to sell it? Thanks for the help!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
While as a ham myself, free towers are always a plus, you need to be concerned with liability too. What if someone shows up to take it down who is totally unqualified to do so and hurts themself or damages your new house?

K7MFC

WRAA720
While as a ham myself, free towers are always a plus, you need to be concerned with liability too. What if someone shows up to take it down who is totally unqualified to do so and hurts themself or damages your new house?

If I was in this particular situation needing a large antenna tower removed from my property, I would perhaps state in the ad that the antenna tower is free for anyone who hires a proper crew to safely disassemble and haul it away. Any profit earned from selling it would be eaten up by hiring a crew to remove it anyway.

Newuser12345

Exactly, that is my concern, but struggling to find a company online in the Boston suburbs that seem to remove large antennas. If anyone knows the name of someone qualified to remove these please let me know

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hi, hoping someone can help me with a ham radio antenna question. I’m moving into a house that has a large ham radio antenna with a tower that is bolted on to the side of the house. As I’m not a ham radio person, I’m trying to find someone that can remove it safely for me. Any ideas what type of contractor or company might be able to do this in the Massachusetts area? Are these antennas expensive, should I be trying to sell it? Thanks for the help!

Wish I could get lucky and buy a house like that!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Exactly, that is my concern, but struggling to find a company online in the Boston suburbs that seem to remove large antennas. If anyone knows the name of someone qualified to remove these please let me know

Don't screw around with amateurs if you are concerned about liability, something getting damaged, someone getting hurt, etc.

The correct way to do this would be to talk to one of the companies listed on this page:
https://natehome.com/locate_members/results.php?ID=21

The National Association of Tower Erectors is an industry group for tower companies. The companies on that list (all in Massachusetts) will have the proper certifications and insurance to do this type or work.

It'll cost more, but you'll get professionals that know what they are doing.
Amateur radio operators might be able to do it for free, but it's rare that any of them have any formal training, and more unlikely that they are certified climbers. I won't even touch on the insurance side of things. Getting a hobbyist to do it for free might get you some guy that's just eager to get some free stuff and might cut corners or put others at risk.

mm

I see that nobody takes the time to read the various post following the original beginning post anymore,

CITYWIDE173 said that he is In MASS and that he is CERTIFIED to work on towers.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I see that nobody takes the time to read the various post following the original beginning post anymore,

CITYWIDE173 said that he is In MASS and that he is CERTIFIED to work on towers.
Just because someone posts an offer to help, it doesn't close the thread. I always prefer more than one option in everything I do.

pb_lonny

What outcome do you want?
- Aerial gone, don't care where. No cost to you?
- Aerial gone, want to sell and make money?
- Aerial gone, happy to pay for it to be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.