Question About Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YU

I'm currently researching which scanner to purchase as my 1st scanner. My question is how do I recognize a system as simulcast by looking at an entry in the RR database? Is P25 P2 simulcast?
Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quite often simulcast systems are noted in the RR database page. For example, see: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4303

The Jefferson County site is a simulcast system and includes "Simulcast" in the name. The Oldham, Bullitt and Shelby sites are single transmitters.

The purpose of simulcast systems is to ensure signal penetration in buildings without having to resort to high power transmitters on very tall towers. High power gives better penetration but also has a bigger footprint. Thus frequencies cannot be re-used as much and the spectrum is hurting for frequencies.

So with that in mind, simulcast systems are usually associated with metropolitan areas with their large concrete buildings.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any radio system can be simulcast, not just P25 P2.

Simulcast systems are more expensive, but they use fewer frequencies, the signal footprint can be better controlled to match the intended coverage area, and they work better in urban areas with lots of buildings. So they are fairly common in urban areas, but less so in rural areas.

If you travel a lot with the scanner, I would recommend the SDS100 because it has a database that covers all of North America, can use GPS to automatically select systems and channels from the database to scan, and it is currently the only scanner available that is specifically designed to receive simulcast systems properly. The more you travel, the more likely you are to encounter simulcast systems.

KF5YU

Thx, Good Info

We are full time RV and travel extensively but try to avoid large metro areas. Will probably go with the SDS100 just to cover all the bases. Really like the software defined radios such as the IC-7300 which I own.
Thanks for the info, 73
Roy kf5yu

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'll also want to get a GPS for it, so it knows where it is and what to scan.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
We are full time RV and travel extensively but try to avoid large metro areas. Will probably go with the SDS100 just to cover all the bases. Really like the software defined radios such as the IC-7300 which I own.
Thanks for the info, 73
Roy kf5yu

We are RVers, too, and I recently acquired the SDS100 as it is so versatile and reliable (for me so far) - all upgrades and a gps unit and you have it all . Fantastic scanner! Taking it out in our Winnebago Via here pretty soon on a trip down to Gatlinburg. I will give a mobility review here. We are planning an extensive trip to Alaska next year, and I will definitely be outfitting my SDS100 with one of jonwienke's external gps units. Maybe by then Uniden will surprise us with a base/mobile version that I can hardwire into my console. That would be cool.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.