Making a new hobby, Tips for growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsCreat0r

Hello everyone, its a pleasure to be here, My name is Thomas and i am new to radios.
Ive been always fascinated by electronics and the intricacies of how they work.
I am a truck driver and a drone pilot and have some experience with how radios work but am not anywhere near where i would like to be,especially when reading what others have to say about the subject.
I just ordered my first scanner a uniden sds100 and bought a rh77ca & remtronix 800mhz antennas.
I am creating this thread to say hello and give a short introduction and to ask for some help.
What i would like is some reference material to get started.
One member wrote ""jonwienke-Set up the SDS-100 to show RSSI values (not bar graph) and you can see the difference between antennas in dBm. With the scanner in a fixed location holding on a site, note the dBm values when each antenna is connected, and compare the difference.""
This sounds like a fun thing to do and is one of the reasons i bought two different antennas.
What are some other cool things i can do to play around and get a hands on learning experience with my new radio? If you have any links for beginners to articles or something noob friendly, or just some quick suggestions on what i can play around with. This would be very exciting and appreciated.

pb_lonny

That is a very expensive and complex radio for somebody new to the hobby to start out with, good luck with it.

KC5AKB

Welcome to the fun .

Lots of stuff still to listen to .
Lots more stuff if you want to talk www.w5yi.org Home also look up the local ham club repeaters
Or just use the info to see what's out there to listen to.
You can even find apps to look up ham repeaters on your phone
You can drop me a email if you like .
Kc5akb@arrl.net
Later,
Ric

K4EET

Chaplain
GodsCreat0r,

Welcome to Radio Reference (RR)! I think you will find RR to be a great website with lots of information and helpful folks.

The SDS-100 is a great top-end scanner!

A website you should visit is Mark's Scanners:

Mark's Scanners

There are a "gazillion" websites out there with good information. As time goes on, you'll have bookmarked a lot of them.

Again welcome and enjoy RR!

Cheers, Dave K4EET

GodsCreat0r

That is a very expensive and complex radio for somebody new to the hobby to start out with, good luck with it.

Thanks, its my first scanner and i just got home today and there she was along with the 2 antennas i ordered.
I like to buy the better equipment that i can afford and this happened to be the radio.

Welcome to the fun .

Lots of stuff still to listen to .
Lots more stuff if you want to talk www.w5yi.org Home also look up the local ham club repeaters
Or just use the info to see what's out there to listen to.
You can even find apps to look up ham repeaters on your phone
You can drop me a email if you like .
Kc5akb@arrl.net
Later,
Ric

Thanks, allways a pleasure to acquaint with others with a similar interest.
Thanks for the link.

GodsCreat0r,

Welcome to Radio Reference (RR)! I think you will find RR to be a great website with lots of information and helpful folks.

The SDS-100 is a great top-end scanner!

A website you should visit is Mark's Scanners:

Mark's Scanners

There are a "gazillion" websites out there with good information. As time goes on, you'll have bookmarked a lot of them.

Again welcome and enjoy RR!

Cheers, Dave K4EET

Welcome to the hobby and good luck.....

Thank You for the link and the message.

GodsCreat0r

I went to the top of a mountain today right between PA and NY right by NJ. called high point at port jervis.
I tried uploading a picture of the peak i was having trouble uploading it. I will keep trying it is really awesome, you can see in all directions as far as the eye can see. I took the radio with me and did some scanning and had some new signals i picked up.
Im still having some trouble understanding all the functions of the radio and will post once my restrictions are lifted and i am granted more privileges.

K4EET

Chaplain
GodsCreat0r, do a "Save image as..." and re-upload to your photo hosting site. I need to delete this picture since it is not mine to host. Here it is in the correct orientation:

mountain.jpg

Cheers! Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.