Re; a new ProScan server

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

There a program called ProScan that can be downloaded at https://www.proscan.org . I have been using it to tune into Benton County dispach which also covers the city of Kennewick for a long time because I don't have a scanner that can decode Proj 25 digital service. There was a large wild fire south of town (Kennewick) that burned down 5 houses on the edge of Kennewick. I think one of those burned down houses housed the Benton county server for ProScan. I was tuned in on PronScan on the day of the fire and listening the fire activity. Then server went offline and hasn't been on since. I am thinking of setting up a new server. I am diving into a totally new area of the internet for me. I have an AA degree in electronics and I used to repair 2 way radios, tv's and vcr's. I have been retired for a long time. I still dabble in fixing Windows OS laptops and towers but I am only good down to board level repairs. My electronics is not up to speed to go bellow board level repairs. I could use some help please. I sent the following email bellow to ProScan support.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi Bob. I would like to know how to setup this kind of link and what kind
of digital scanner and other equipment that I need. Benton/Franklin county
fire dep's plus both sheriff's dep's. And the cities of Richland,
Kennewick, Pasco, West Richland are all on the same project 25 digital
system. Is is my understanding that this a 2 freq setup for each channel
in the radio is used. 1 freq carrys channel codes and the freq carrys the
digital voice.
I have a RTL dongle (RTL2832U) It goes from about 24mhz to about 1.5ghz I
thing. It works fine except I for can't get it to decode Benton County
dispatch. I need a better scanner but I don't know which one to buy. My
best guess is that server for Benton County was in one of those houses that
got burned to the ground by the Bolds grass fire. My gold is to get a new
server at my place going. I have my ISP via spectrum cable tv and I the
fastest bandwith and speed they have. I could use your help please.
------------This is the reply------------
ProScan works with the scanners supported on the proscan.org web page.

On a specific scanner type to use, I would check with the guru's on
RadioReference.
------------------------------------------------
There is 2 lists of digital scanners on there web page. I don't know what scanner to get and I live on SSDI disability. I need a scanner that won't break the bank. Any is there any other equipment and software that I need? I would like this setup to run on it's own without been connected 24/7 to my laptop and my laptop on 24/7. I have spectrum cable tv with there fastest internet connection available. 73's

Steve KC7BYP

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
According to the Radio Reference database for WA state, it appears that you would need a scanner that can monitor 800 MHz Project 25 (phase 1) system for Benton County, and mostly conventional VHF/UHF frequencies for Franklin County. To confirm that this is what you really need, however, I would suggest that you post on the WA state forum (under the Regional Radio section) on this site. The folks there would likely be able to give you the best suggestions for your area.

One other thought... If you are not familiar with programming P25 trunked radio systems into a scanner, you might want to consider one of the models that are pre-programmed by zip code. My personal favorites for "arm-chair monitoring" are the Uniden HomePatrol 1 or HomePatrol 2.

Best of luck,

John - AC4JK

Last edited:

steve-kc7byp

Chief21 the Radio Reference database is out of date for Benton and Franklin County's. Benton and Franklin County's just merged into 1 dispatch center. Both county's plus the citys of Pasco, Kennewick and Richland are dispatched out of the Benton dispatch center using the 800 MHz Project 25 (phase 1) setup. This merge has been off and on, on the local tv news for over a year. They just completed the merge about a month and a half ago.
I know how 800 MHz Project 25 (phase 1) works. I have been reading up on it. I just don't know which type of scanner to get that won't break the bank and what interface and the software for the interface to get.

According to the Radio Reference database for WA state, it appears that you would need a scanner that can monitor 800 MHz Project 25 (phase 1) system for Benton County, and mostly conventional VHF/UHF frequencies for Franklin County. To confirm that this is what you really need, however, I would suggest that you post on the WA state forum (under the Regional Radio section) on this site. The folks there would likely be able to give you the best suggestions for your area.

One other thought... If you are not familiar with programming P25 trunked radio systems into a scanner, you might want to consider one of the models that are pre-programmed by zip code. My personal favorites for "arm-chair monitoring" are the Uniden HomePatrol 1 or HomePatrol 2.

Best of luck,

John - AC4JK

Status
Not open for further replies.