New Scanner/Scanning Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenverGuy

I am in Denver, CO, and picked up a Uniden BC125AT. I programmed in a few BNSF frequencies, but hardly hear anything. It's hard to believe that there is so little radio traffic.

I turned the squelch so that it is one position above constant noise.

A few questions:

Can CTSSS/OCS be set to auto for each channel? I don't know what should be entered there.

Do the alpha tags have to be entered exactly the same as listed on the web sites that list the frequencies, or can I make up my own?

Finally, I see that there are several railroad operations that share the same frequencies. As long as the frequency has been entered into the device will it pick up everything that uses that frequency?

Thanks.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
How far are you from the BNSF transmitting towers or rail yards you're trying to monitor? I would set the CTCSS/DCS to auto for each channel. As far as the alpha tags are concerned, you can enter anything you like in the language of your choice. The only rule is that it not be too many characters to fit in the assigned slot. Finally, each frequency you program will allow you to receive any transmissions on that frequency. Of course that depends on the range and type of the antenna you're using. Typically, while railroad frequencies are assigned on a national basis, to avoid interference, you'll generally not find multiple carriers using the same frequency in the same general geographic area.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You can set the PL/DCS to the tones used but I would leave it off unless you know for sure they actually use a PL for all transmissions that you want to hear. Most rail traffic does not use PL and some that do only do so because of programming errors or for specific purposes, like the input to a yard repeater etc.

As for channel names you can name the channels anything you want, whatever makes it easy for you to understand who is talking. On my BC125AT I have the channels set up on the same AR Channel numbers (161.295 on Channel 79 etc.) and if I know who uses that channel in my area I put that info in the name. So on 161.370 I have it named BNSF Phx since that is used on the BNSF's Phoenix Sub.

When I am outside my home area the channel names may not apply but the channel numbers are still useful.

DenverGuy

First, Bob, thanks for the response - very helpful. I would say I am 4 or 5 miles from the yard, but only one mile from the BNSF Joint Line (north-south).

This might sound like a dumb question, but does it matter if I am close to the tracks?

I am thinking about a trip to Fort Morgan (80 miles from Denver on the Colorado eastern plains). I used to go there and sometimes wouldn't even see one train, and after 3 hours I'd head home. I bought a scanner to at least give me an idea of the rail traffic in the area (Denver, also). But I know there are no yards out there.

Should I buy a 1/4 wave antenna?

Thanks again.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Your distance from the tracks only matters in that that's where the trains are you're trying to monitor. :) What is more important is your ability to pick up the transmissions from the rail yards, as there's usually quite a bit of radio activity. I periodically monitor the Selkirk rail yards which are about 2 miles from my house. Usually, a simple rubber duck antenna on my handheld scanners will work fine at that distance, but not for every transmission. If you wish to monitor "everything" including portable radios, I'd recommend an outside general coverage antenna mounted high up as you can. If that's not feasible, then consider an extendable metal whip who's length can be adjusted to a 1/4 wave.

There appear to be multiple rail yards in the Denver metro area you should be able to monitor. That said, keep in mind that eventually, rail communications will begin using NXDN digital modes which are beyond the reach of your model scanner. But for now, you'll be fine.

Here's a link to a RR primer on railroad frequencies: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=7747

DenverGuy

Thanks, N9J1G and Bob. I see that PL/DCS and CTCSS/PL are the same thing.
Thanks for the link, Bob. I hope the conversion to digital doesn't happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.