Newbie - Niagara and Erie county NY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcraft203

HI all,

Not new to scanning but ever since everything went digital years ago I have put down my old analogs and just used the various apps on my cell. Now I would like to get back into a handheld digital. I live in NIagara falls NY and listen to mostly Niagara and Erie County. I am looking at a budget model and the Whistler ws1040 seems to be a good one. It looks like it is for digital P25 phase 1. I have no idea at this point what type of digital signal most agencies in these counties use. CAn anyone advise this and also would the capabilities of the whistler suffice. Or any other suggestions for around $250 and under. Thx

N8IAA

HI all,

Not new to scanning but ever since everything went digital years ago I have put down my old analogs and just used the various apps on my cell. Now I would like to get back into a handheld digital. I live in NIagara falls NY and listen to mostly Niagara and Erie County. I am looking at a budget model and the Whistler ws1040 seems to be a good one. It looks like it is for digital P25 phase 1. I have no idea at this point what type of digital signal most agencies in these counties use. CAn anyone advise this and also would the capabilities of the whistler suffice. Or any other suggestions for around $250 and under. Thx

The 1040 will be a good fit for your listening needs. Some of Erie is still conventional and not trunked.
Niagra has a Phase I system that the Whistler will handle.

Have fun scanning:)

Larry

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
jcraft203 - looks like Niagara County is P25 Digital and Erie County appears to be conventional. and Erie EMS operating DMR mot connect + (TRBO).
However one thing to consider, the WS 1040 can only be programmed by hand. its not a Computer capable scanner. Entering Digital Trunking frequencies might take a long time and if you Enter a mistake, the scanner wont SCAN Right.
on the other hand a scanner like the RS Pro-688 or the WS-1080/88, scanners come with the Entire USA/Canada Database on a SD card, they use the Whistler EZ scan software and you get FREE lifetime updates in the Scanners.

scanner92us

Wrong! The WS1040 can be programed by computer. Its come with a usb cable.
there are 3 software programs for it. Win500, psredit500, and arc500.
All 3 have a 30 day free trial. If you get a radio reference premium subsciption you can download right from the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.