jd123

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeduval123

I have had a Uniden BCD996P2 for about six months. The thing is a $400 paperweight. I finally programmed it and all I get is broken chatter. I can see one of the towers that I'm trying to receive analog signal. I have a tram discone antenna on a 15 ft pole on the back deck...Is there something I'm not doing right something I can adjust? I don't understand the technical scanner talk! Someone HELP, PLEASE

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, provide your location; city or county, and state is a good start.

And, please provide a link to the database page of the system you are trying to hear (or at least it's name & location).

joeduval123

I am located in Barren, county, Kentucky. The audio is breaking at various intervals, I haven't checked how many seconds. My antenna is mounted on a metal pole which is 15 ft tall and secured to my wooden deck and is just above the gutter line on the house. I used cable tv coax for the wiring.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am located in Barren, county, Kentucky. The audio is breaking at various intervals, I haven't checked how many seconds. My antenna is mounted on a metal pole which is 15 ft tall and secured to my wooden deck and is just above the gutter line on the house. I used cable tv coax for the wiring.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. If you can post one, that might help.

Where I'd start would be looking at the coaxial cable and any/all connections. If it's old cable, suspect issues. Damaged jacket can let water in and will cause corrosion and poor performance.
Check all connections for corrosion. Make sure they are properly weather sealed with sealant/tape designed for the purpose.
Next, try a known good signal. See if you can hear one of the NOAA national weather service channels (162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475, 162.500, 162.525 or 162.550) Is it clear and steady without dropping out?
Try taking your scanner outside and using the stock antenna, or connecting directly to the antenna using a new short piece of cable, see if it improves.

If this is a cable/antenna issue, you'll need to isolate sections of the system one at a time until you find the issue.
I suspect you could have damaged coax, corroded connections, damaged antenna, too much coaxial cable, or there's the possibility you are just too far out of the coverage area of the system you are trying to listen to.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I am located in Barren, county, Kentucky. The audio is breaking at various intervals, I haven't checked how many seconds.

Is the scanner in a WX mode? Thats the Weather alert mode. You might want to check. I have a BCT15X and i know when i turned it off it made a difference. This may not be the problem but you can always check. Heres how to check and shut it off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-8CPL94zI&t=2s

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
Joe Duval 123,

Did you use this page to do your programming?

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=993#cid-1572

How did you do the programming? Did you manually program it?

Also, cable TV coax is not the ideal choice of coax since it is 75 ohm impedance. You would be better off using 52 ohm coax such as RG-8X or RG-8/U. Your systems are all VHF/UHF so that is a good thing in not needing a super low-loss coax. Also, since you are Line-Of-Sight (LOS) to one of the transmitter sites, the CATV coax would be adequate and you should be receiving that one fairly well fairly well. What is the airline distance to that site; a mile or so? Which system(s) is at that transmitter site? Those you should hear clearly.

How about any other systems you want to monitor? Where are those transmitter sites located? Do you know if they are in range of your location?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to figure out who you should be hearing clearly. Then we can double-check your programming as well.

Hang in there. Clear reception can't be too far away. You've found the right place for assistance. And by the way, WELCOME to Radio Reference!

Cheers! Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.