Need help with Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
I have a uniden bcd996p2 and have downloaded Niagara County straight from the RR database. My question is, it seems like it picks stuff up once in a while but not all the time. The screen reads ID search the whole time. Is there something I need to do or can someone familiar walk me through it over the phone. I'm familiar with scanners and radios as I am a fire chief in erie county, it just seems not right.

thanks
Shawn

MFD4305

A Small Start

Good morning, Chief.

You wrote that your display reads "ID Search." If you're pretty confident you have the proper programming for what you want to monitor, press 'Function' then 'Scan/Search,' the upper right quadrant above the Function knob. This will switch the scanner from 'ID Search' to 'ID Scan' essentially focusing solely on what you've programmed in, not taking the time to check for any random transmission on the system.

If that doesn't improve your situation, you'll probably have to try again for local input.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the response. I’ll try that. I’m more used to commercial radios than scanners. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike. Funny thing is I’ve programmed the Niagara County Trunking System into a Kenwood Commercial Radio and it was easier!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What software are you using to program the 996? Also, how is the receive quality of those transmissions you do receive?

ID Search, by itself, shouldn't negatively impact your ability to receive the Niagara County system. All that does is allow the scanner to receive talkgroups for which you have not programmed in the associated talkgroup ID's. It's useful for a system in flux where new ID's are being added periodically. Make sure that all the listed frequencies for the site are programmed in the scanner.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
I used the free scan software. Audio quality seems ok. It basically seemed like it was taking a little longer to lock on to a talkgroup at first. Does seem ok now though.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
I use an outside Omni-directional. It’s up 20’. I had heard that there was an issue with uniden scanners with simulcast systems and that it was corrected on new models. Unknown if that plays a role or not.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I use an outside Omni-directional. It’s up 20’. I had heard that there was an issue with uniden scanners with simulcast systems and that it was corrected on new models. Unknown if that plays a role or not.

996P2 is far from a new model (new in Dec. 2014).

The ONLY Uniden that is designed to do well on simulcast is the SDS100.

bob550

Premium Subscriber

The newest SDS100 reportedly has improved reception of Simulcast systems. I can vouch for the fact that my Uniden 536hp outperforms my older 996xt on my local P25 system connected to the same antenna.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
I debated on the new SDS100. Probably will buy in the near future. Definitely get with NXDN and DMR

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Long-term support for the model you choose is important. Although the 536hp is over four years old, it's still supported with routine firmware upgrades as recently as late last month.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Was thinking of buying from scanner master

Very good retailer with great reviews on this forum. However, I would not choose to have them pre-program the scanner or buy the DMR/NXDN upgrades through them. You're just spending money you can better keep in your wallet.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You can get the upgrades directly from Uniden. You simply register your scanner with them and then make the purchases through their website. They'll email you the necessary codes for entry into the scanner. Instructions are well documented on their website as well as this forum. I've done it twice for my 536hp with no hiccups.

Status
Not open for further replies.