uniden bcd436hp antenna HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff338

i'm buying bcd436hp to use in Yellowstone/ Grand Tetons and want to buy a really good antenna for the unit that will help me get the most signal in the area (HILL'S / MOUNTAINS) any help would be appreciated!!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Jeff. Welcome to RR. The stock antenna is adequate in a lot of situations. Are you looking for a mobile antenna for a vehicle? What bands will you be scanning? Those are things that effect what type of antenna that might improve your reception.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As Todd noted, narrowing down the frequency bands in use at your destination areas would give more accuracy to an antenna recommendation.

One antenna I've had good results with is the RH789. It's a telescoping antenna, so you can adjust it's link to optimize a specific frequency band. The antenna itself has markings on the side for how must extension is suggested. The RH789 version has a BNC connector, so you'd need to use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with your scanner. However, the antenna is also available with an SMA connection, SRH789. Both are linked on the same page.

If what you really want is a mobile antenna for your vehicle, you'd need to decide if you wanted a magnetic mount one that can be removed when not needed, or one that uses a mount on the vehicle, usually requiring a hole to be drilled.

3King

Premium Subscriber
i'm buying bcd436hp to use in Yellowstone/ Grand Tetons and want to buy a really good antenna for the unit that will help me get the most signal in the area (HILL'S / MOUNTAINS) any help would be appreciated!!

If your looking for a outdoor antenna. Get a D130j with LMR 400 cable. I have 3 of those antennas and every one of them works Phenomenal on my digital radios. I am able to monitor hundreds of miles of agencies.

jeff338

Thank for the replies and help for as the what they are running on i think 164.-169. looks to be what they are running i think they are still on analog. I would like a antenna that screws on top if its going to work as good as one i could temporary mount to a rental jeep like a magnet mount. More important one that will work really good. We are up in YS/GT parks 3 time a year for a few weeks each trip chasing animals for photography it sure helps when you can get the first hand info from the bear patrol to were bear jams are taking place. Thanks for the help as i don't know anything about scanners. Thats why i bought the 436 the guy told me that all you had to do was put in you Zip code and it will find the right freq I hope he's right???? Thanks agin!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.