Recommendations for mobile Winlink hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ7AXE

I am new to part of this area: Ham experience: 2 weeks, technician license, IT experience: 20+ years as a network administrator. Connecting the two: no experience whatsoever.

I got into ham radio mostly for communications in remote areas of Alaska and Yukon where we spend our summers. There is good repeater coverage in these areas, but no cell coverage. I have a Yaesu FTM-3200DR installed in my daily driver vehicle as a learning and practice radio, and I am very comfortable using it with repeaters for club nets and other contacts. I am shopping for a mobile radio for the traveling "summer home" van. I would like to purchase a radio that has the best potential to work with WinLink or other recommended technology so that we could check or send e-mail when in the bush for more than a few days. I sounds like we would need some digital mode to get connectivity at least equal to dial-up. Many repeaters are analog only, so this might be a hurdle.

Any advice on hardware and software would be greatly appreciated. As for hardware, I'm looking for advice on radio and connecting equipment needed to get to the computer (Mac, Windows, or preferably Chromebook). The choices are overwhelming me.

If you wish to move this to another forum, please do so. Thanks!

K4EET

Chaplain
KJ7AXE,

I don't have an answer for you but I did want to say... Welcome to Radio Reference!

Also, congratulations on getting your Technician license!

73, Dave

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Download a copy of Winlink Express to laptop..
I use a Yaesu FT-7900 radio along with a MFJ-TNC Packet Controller model MFJ-1270X
Packet controller powered by USB in laptop..
You will need a VHF/UHF repeater in the area with a Winlnk connection.
Since this setup is all mobile just drive to an area that has Winlink and do your e-mail.
Follow instructions on Winlink software setup and away you go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.