Recommend outdoor antenna for BC75LT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie5150

Recommend outdoor antenna for BC75XLT

Hi was looking at getting a small outdoor antenna for my BC75XLT i live in a apartment building with a balcony but can’t but to intrusive and expensive lol I should mention I do have Watson W-881 Super Ganier should I just stick with using that?Thanks

Last edited:

Ubbe

It's a completly different ball game when you start to use an external antenna. Only if you are satisfied with hearing only your local transmitters would it be unneccesary to use a better antenna than the one you already have.

If you wish to monitor transmitters far away, perhaps in another county, you'll need to use a coax cable and a bigger outside antenna.

If you have the building blocking half the directions seen from the balcony there's no reson to get an antenna that receives from an omni direction, it will add all the interferencies from your apartments electronics. Look at something like this antenna type:
https://www.scannermaster.com/SpectrumForce_Yagi_Base_400_960Mhz_7dBi_p/01-541955.htm

/Ubbe

N8IAA

Hi was looking at getting a small outdoor antenna for my BC75XLT i live in a apartment building with a balcony but can’t but to intrusive and expensive lol I should mention I do have Watson W-881 Super Ganier should I just stick with using that?Thanks

Since it seems that Edmonton is either P-25, NXDN, or DMR, you're pretty much limited to VHF aircraft and railroad frequencies.

If you can locate a mag mount base with a BNC connector on it, you could add the 881 to make it a base antenna. Put it on a metal cookie sheet, file cabinet, or anything else the magnet will stick on. You should have lots of luck with that set up.:D

Larry

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

What are you trying to accomplish, improve what bands/frequencies? From all directions, or just one?

newfie5150

Off Center Dipole Antenna

So would a homemade Off Center Dipole Antenna made with copper pipe be good for indoors also?and would half inch pipe be good? Thanks

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
All antennas work better outdoors than indoors. But yes, the Off Center Dipole here in the RR Antenna Wiki can be used indoors. I.... and many others.... have them in our attics. 1/2 in. pipe is fine.

newfie5150

Ok I made the antenna lol turn out great quick question if say attach a short piece of rg 6 cable on to the bauhn with a coupler so I can unattach my longer piece of rg 6 for say storage with that effect the signal also say if I put the hole anntena in PCV pipe to water proof it will that effect the signal?thanks sorry for being a pain lol

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Assuming that “turn out great” means it’s working as expected, then glad you like it. Regarding PVC enclosure... use PVC that has no metal content, metal paint, or other coating. There’s another thread here on RR regarding PVC enclosures over antennas. But because I’m replying on a smartphone I’ll let you or someone else search for that.

newfie5150

Thanks for all the help everyone so would it be a problem with using a short piece of rg 6 with a joiner on to the longer piece of rg 6 just for quick storage until I decide to mount it outside?i think you know what I’m talking about like would that compromise the signal?thanks

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
There would be negligible signal loss. Use a double female F connector to join the two RG6 cables.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
All connectors introduce some loss. “Negligible” means very little. So little loss that you will have trouble measuring it, let alone noticing it by ear or a signal meter. Put the pigtail on the OCFD and use an F barrel connector. If it’s going to be outdoors be sure to wrap it with self-sealing tape such as Nashua Stretch-N-Seal or equivalent.

majoco

Stirrer
Does your HOA allow you to put plants in pots on your balcony? Easy enough to disguise an antenna made from green insulated wire among the foliage. I had a 2m ham band 5/8 vertical which worked well enough hidden like that.

newfie5150

I might add a angle connector to the end of my scanner to relieve stress and might paint it with Flexseal paint or Plastic Dip paint

Attachments

• 85E0AA56-C63E-4EA9-ACE1-DA02CE674593.jpg
    85E0AA56-C63E-4EA9-ACE1-DA02CE674593.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 124

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Hoping that pic is not your installed antenna. For what you are listening to (public safety and LMR... even aircraft... you should have the antenna vertically oriented. The way it’s shown in the pic is horizontally polarized. You can expect a 10-20 DB improvement by turning it to vertical polarization.

Status
Not open for further replies.