Handheld transceiver DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ke5jdh

I need a bit of advice. I hold a general amateur radio license. The police and fire all changed to DMR in the area some encrypted some not. I am not sure about trunking? What handheld radio can l buy for a reasonable cost that can be programmed to listen to police and fire non encrypted? My radios are all currently non digital. So l need the advice of someone who knows where l need to start. I will use the radio for dual purpose listening in. Plus using it on amateur bands. Thanks.

Ke5jdh

Thank you so much for the information l will look into this radio. I dont need a high dollar fancy one so this sounds like it will do what l need. However l am sure l will be posting a post on how to program or figure the darn thing out. 😀😀😀

Ubbe

As your area seems to be using non-trunked single frequency DMR repeaters and analog both in 150Mhz it would work excellent using a DMR transciever to scan the TGs and conventional CTCSS channels. I even scan trunked DMR systems as 95% of the time there's only one TG in use at a time at a site in the systems I monitor.

I have three different DMR handhelds and the MD380 are the best in all respects in user interface and RF performance and when I hear an amateur using one (I have no license) the modulation are clean and crisp and not like most Motorola and some Hytera DMR handhelds. I expect the dualband version UV380 to be no different.

/Ubbe

Ke5jdh

Thank you all for helping l really appreciate it.

Thank you all so much for posting and helping me out. I didn't even have a clue which radio to buy or where to even begin. I am sure l will have more questions when it comes to programming it. Hopefully its not to difficult.

Valeriy

Thank you all so much for posting and helping me out. I didn't even have a clue which radio to buy or where to even begin. I am sure l will have more questions when it comes to programming it. Hopefully its not to difficult.

It is advisable to get at least an RTL-SDR dongle too, in order to decode DMR parameters with DSD+ on the PC.
That way, you'll be able to program DMR channels in your TYT...

N8IAA

It is advisable to get at least an RTL-SDR dongle too, in order to decode DMR parameters with DSD+ on the PC.
That way, you'll be able to program DMR channels in your TYT...

Per the RR database, he has all the info he needs to program his radio.
Larry

Ke5jdh

I have another question for the forum? I was wondering if the GD 77 dual band dmr radio from radiooddity is the same as the dmr md uv 380 dual band radio? Will both do exactly the same? Pros cons?

w2xq

Mentor
If you are new to DMR radios and programming codeplugs, I would suggest you purchase a radio supported by the N0GSG Contact Manager -- N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page -- software. It will enable you to use the structural import feature to import codeplugs from a number of other different radios. Be sure to read the PDF documentation. Looking at other codeplugs can help one move along the learning curve toward building your own version; it did so for me. HTH.

Ke5jdh

W2XQ not quite sure if l am understanding your reply since l am totally clueless with DMR. Will those code plugs you replied about not work with the GD 77 DMR radio? The radio specs looked to be the same as the MD UV 380 radio when l looked at them on a side by side comparison? I just want to be certain l purchase the right radio for my uses. The GD 77 is a bit less in costs

w2xq

Mentor
W2XQ not quite sure if l am understanding your reply since l am totally clueless with DMR. Will those code plugs you replied about not work with the GD 77 DMR radio? The radio specs looked to be the same as the MD UV 380 radio when l looked at them on a side by side comparison? I just want to be certain l purchase the right radio for my uses. The GD 77 is a bit less in costs

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. If you are learning about DMR i would encourage you to begin by reading the excellent Toshen KE0FHS https://amateurradionotes.com/dmr.htm series.

I have no knowledge of the Radioddity GD-77 but if the radio uses the RDT/RDB file format...

N0GSG lists radios his software supports. That includes the Anytone AT-D868UV. Anytone designed, the new Anytone AT-D878UV CPS (software) to read in and write out a AT-D878UV codeplug file. Indirectly, then, the latest Anytone radio is supported.

For one learnung to assemble a codeplug for the first time, the ability to look at a working codeplug (perhaps from your club/area) msy be useful, helpful et al. For example, MD-380 codeplugs should be plentful. The N0GSG "structural import" will convert the MD-380 file to other radios supported by N0GSG.

HTH.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
ke5jdh -

I would also strongly encourage you to read up on the fundamental technical aspects and terminology of DMR, as they are quite different from analog. In addition to the one already mentioned, there are numerous other DMR-related videos and tutorials that can be found online. Having some basic knowledge of DMR prior to setting up a codeplug will prevent much head-scratching and frustration.

KA9JYO

Any dmr

I need a bit of advice. I hold a general amateur radio license. The police and fire all changed to DMR in the area some encrypted some not. I am not sure about trunking? What handheld radio can l buy for a reasonable cost that can be programmed to listen to police and fire non encrypted? My radios are all currently non digital. So l need the advice of someone who knows where l need to start. I will use the radio for dual purpose listening in. Plus using it on amateur bands. Thanks.

I use tyt MD380, it works for Amateur and all uhf 400-480Mhz. Just make sure is for TS1 and TS2, TS1will not work on the Ham bands.

Ubbe

I have three different DMR handhelds and the MD380 are the best in all respects in user interface and RF performance and when I hear an amateur using one (I have no license) the modulation are clean and crisp and not like most Motorola and some Hytera DMR handhelds. I expect the dualband version UV380 to be no different.

Unfortunately it turns out that the dual band UV380 are nothing like the well performing MD380. The MD380 uses a conventional and proven heterodyn receiver like old time, and most new, scanners and the UV380 are a direct conversation receiver like those cheap $5 SDR USB sticks and Uniden SDS100 that get interfered easily and dies in reception when a nearby transmitter keys up. I do not recommend any dual band DMR radio at this point. I now know why my CS580 goes dead in the middle of monitoring a conversation unlike any other receiver I have.

Radiosification: Comparison of DMR radios

/Ubbe

w2xq

Mentor
If one were to know such things the Anytone AT-D878UV is getting rave reviews from a half-dozen knowledgeable friends I chat with. I saw three 878s up close and personal <grin> at a breakfast gathering two weeks ago.

Had this designed-by-radio-amateurs-for-radio-amateurs radio been available when I bought the MD-UV380 last June, I would have bought the 878 for the informative display et al.

Until the MD-UV380 dies though, I won't be buying another radio as I have no problems in places like RF hell center city Philadelphia such as Ubbe and Radiosification describe. I won't buy a single band DMR radio as I like the VHF coverage. (Think 2m and NOAA Wx radio and more). But that's me. :)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I certainly recommend two dual band DMR radios based on my own experience, the Anytone 868 and 878. Both fantastic dual band DMR radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.