Creep taunts cops on radio with bogus call of police shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kb2Jpd

The NYPD is being harassed by calls over an unauthorized police radio.

Creep taunts cops on radio with bogus call of police shooting | New York Post

They make no mention of $25 dollar [Even $12.00!] Chinese radios which are everywhere in NYC. Children use them as walkie-talkies.

Please, in the future, don't use the nypost for a source. Whenever it is the weekend edition, they Take the story that they wouldn't publish on a weekday and make it a fuller so they can sell papers.

They are anti union, anti poor, anti ham, and don't retract whenever they are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
In a situation like that, I think lethal punishment

is justified. That's just my .02 cents worth.
I own a couple of those Chinese radios, and they work good; but my thoughts now since I've heard the crap being transmitted by unlicensed operators, has changed my view on those radios. They should be banned because of how they are being abused.
Hope that Captain can get with that creep and put an end to his foolishness.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I too own a few of those chinese radios as well as some Moto's. I used to use an Icom while working EMS in Westchester, The City, and Connecticut when I was working. I don't think it's the chinese radios but it's the ease at which a radio can be bought and programmed to transmit. Back when I was working you had to get the permission of the powers that be to use these radios. Now you have every Tom, Dick or Harry getting the radios whether they work the field or not. I think the problem isn't what the radio is but rather the fact that this jerk is disrupting the system. I don't know how many times we'd get key ups from people testing their radio to see if they programmed it right. What is all the hype of being able to talk on the freqs when you shouldn't be? Do you get off placing peoples lives in danger? If you want to but a radio and program it or get it programmed to receive only then fine but once you start broadcasting that's a whole other level of I hope you get caught and locked the hell up. A couple of years ago a guy was breaking into CT emergency freqs from Mass. He finally got caught and got a few years. Guys, while I love listening to calls on my scanners and even a few radios, I have got to say that stuff like this just pushes the need and want for encryption right to the forefront. Someone is going to wind up getting killed because of a jerk like this. Maybe not in the city - but somewhere. It's got to stop.

Kb2Jpd

I too own a few of those chinese radios as well as some Moto's. I used to use an Icom while working EMS in Westchester, The City, and Connecticut when I was working. I don't think it's the chinese radios but it's the ease at which a radio can be bought and programmed to transmit. Back when I was working you had to get the permission of the powers that be to use these radios. Now you have every Tom, Dick or Harry getting the radios whether they work the field or not. I think the problem isn't what the radio is but rather the fact that this jerk is disrupting the system. I don't know how many times we'd get key ups from people testing their radio to see if they programmed it right. What is all the hype of being able to talk on the freqs when you shouldn't be? Do you get off placing peoples lives in danger? If you want to but a radio and program it or get it programmed to receive only then fine but once you start broadcasting that's a whole other level of I hope you get caught and locked the hell up. A couple of years ago a guy was breaking into CT emergency freqs from Mass. He finally got caught and got a few years. Guys, while I love listening to calls on my scanners and even a few radios, I have got to say that stuff like this just pushes the need and want for encryption right to the forefront. Someone is going to wind up getting killed because of a jerk like this. Maybe not in the city - but somewhere. It's got to stop.

Thank you.. 2x. It's not the radios, it's the idiots who bought the radios.

I screened my buyers but when you become successful you get those who either jealous of your success or just in for the silver and dann the consequences like endangering people's lives.

Hans13

Wow, looking in from the midwest, I'm flabbergasted by the statism of the northeast... Lethal punishment? Banning radios? Oy vey!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As far I'm concerned the toy china radios crossed the line of legality a long time ago, and shouldn't have even been allowed in the U.S. from day one! That would have stopped all this in the beginning. Our federal authorities were asleep at the wheel ... Again. My .02 I guess. :mad: 73, n9zas

teufler

Before the Chinese radios, we had the radios that you either clipped a wire, or lifted a component off the circuit board. Public service is moving to DNR, or some other digital system, so discomfort by the users will be short lived. I am surprised, cities like Chicago and New York city have not jumped on wide area trunking.rather than the analog systems they still use.

Sporrt

The larger cities are still analog. Small towns with less equipment are more likely to go encrypted, and do.

Yes the capability for out of band modification was there. Ordering a transceiver from Amazon that's ready to go is an entirely different matter. If someone looks up scanners, the China radios will be listed as related items.

SCPD

QRT
I thought the NYPD radios used non-standard PL tones/or non-standard DPL to keep this from happening. The radios were especially designed for them, Motorola did that. When mother M discontinued the system sabers, the NYPD went with Kenwood as they wanted radios with batteries that mount on the bottom of the radio, not over the back.

gewecke

Banned
Before the Chinese radios, we had the radios that you either clipped a wire, or lifted a component off the circuit board. Public service is moving to DNR, or some other digital system, so discomfort by the users will be short lived. I am surprised, cities like Chicago and New York city have not jumped on wide area trunking.rather than the analog systems they still use.
True, but the good thing about the radios WE use, are clipping the Right wire or lifting the Correct diode then getting all back together and working still takes some knowledge. With luck they brick their radio! More than what many have when dinking with their china toys. :wink: 73, n9zas

Kb2Jpd

I thought the NYPD radios used non-standard PL tones/or non-standard DPL to keep this from happening. The radios were especially designed for them, Motorola did that. When mother M discontinued the system sabers, the NYPD went with Kenwood as they wanted radios with batteries that mount on the bottom of the radio, not over the back.

Actually, vertex Yaesu was the choice for surface awhile the transit service went icom. Motorola design the split pl dpl thing for them, but only for special divisions like occb

wrath

Unencrypted digital can be messed with if you have the bank account to do it, what these people that are interfering and jamming public service doesn't realize is that eventually all comms will be secure despite many agencies not wanting to not have open channels , many an agency has been assisted by us amateurs and some citizens in scanner land when the excrement hit the oscillator, in ending a chase ,or getting a skell under wraps , eventually everyone will be in the dark thanks to idiots with analog egg rolls as the current threat but over the years different technology has been invented and abused its the "circle of life" invent it and someone will find away to abuse it sooner or later, just later you will need a laser cooled quantum computer to figure out how, and by then something else cutting edge will already be around. Does anybody remember the radar detector wars they sold both the radar to LEO'S and detectors to defeat them to citizens , just the other day I saw some company still trying to sell radar detectors for $700 bucks and thought you have got to be kidding me ? And yet I remember the days when you could use a 2 meter rig to screw with the radar gun or open the neighbors garage door as you finished a QSO on the way home...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Darkstar350

NYPD does seem to have a bit of interference/jamming ,etc but overall their radio system has phenomenal coverage and i think recently one of the serial jammers was arrested

This incident is ridiculous and yes things like this does encourage agencies to want digital/encryption but the fact is that more or less just about any radio frequency can be subject to interference or jamming - whether or not someone is actually being heard unauthorized on the air
Also i would imagine that even NYPD analog radios have a feature to somewhat identify radio id's to determine unauthorized radios...

NC1

KC4RAF;2618756They should be banned because of how they are being abused. [/QUOTE said:
Banning them fixes everything, because history teaches us that it worked out so well for the drug and prostitution problem we used to have.

Very few have caused real issues compared to the millions that are out there. Intentional or unintentional interference has been around as long as I have, and that is quite a while.

It is a mental problem with the people, not the inanimate object.

What's next? Banning large soda cups because it makes people get fat? Oh wait.... that's been done.

;)

gewecke

Banned
Banning them fixes everything, because history teaches us that it worked out so well for the drug and prostitution problem we used to have.

Very few have caused real issues compared to the millions that are out there. Intentional or unintentional interference has been around as long as I have, and that is quite a while.

It is a mental problem with the people, not the inanimate object.

What's next? Banning large soda cups because it makes people get fat? Oh wait.... that's been done.

;)
You're missing the point a bit. These are not harmless devices, theyre NOT soda cups! They need to be stopped from entering the U.S. because the majority of people buying them Do NOT have the license to operate them. These chinese radios are not license free, but it doesn't matter to those unwilling to become licensed. Its serious because this crap is being used illegally on public safety repeaters. 73, n9zas

wrath

When I got my first ticket you could not have a QSO on any city repeater without some idiot doing the idiot thing, and there were no egg roll radios 25 years ago , scary thought sometimes Children's Band back then had less knuckle heads on it , then a NYC repeater. Once they caught the taxi cab running a trunk full of amps that is, but sadly he was busted by the T & LC Guys when they inspected his cab and found he did not have any room in the trunk because it was filled with CB amps, they did not take his medallion they took the whole car.

The "war on drugs" has been a giant waste of money, it goes in waves first it was barbiturates , then cocaine, then huffing spray paint , then back to coke and now you rarely here of a Coke bust, thank Perdue for taking a little used opiate and launching it into the stratosphere, now we are legalizing weed all over the place and devoting our time to heroine , how about we stop locking people up and develop a real treatment program strategy for all these cut of Oxcycodone addicts who found Heroine cheaper and just as intoxicating, and stop handing out Narcan to "do good civilians" I worked a bus in the city and had many a guy go berserk for ruining there hi, just how hi does dead feel I would like to know , oh well I have digress ed off topic sorry.

Unfortunately the law only applies to those who wish to follow it and care, there is a population that is only full filled when someonelse is upset, that's like saying we should ban trucks because of the buffoon in France, it's not that cut and dry or easy, it's changing the mindset of the population who likes to agitate trouble and or cause harm, because to them it fun until someone of "Joe public " gets killed they are linked to it and prosecuted and made an example of, but we have 1/5th of the world's population and 70 % of the prisoners already , we will all be broke from taxes to lock these people away, that just makes them "Master criminals" angry at society when they do hit the free world again.

Last edited:

Hans13

Some criminals put police sirens, lights, etcetera on their vehicles; impersonating an officer. Does this mean that someone ought to have a license before they can buy a car? Should we ban cars from importation?

wrath

Here where I live know we have one hand made repeater that has some amazing features for weather emergencies and speech and such , when it gets real annoying the OP can send a tone and the repeater announces "automatic transmitter finger printing enabled " it's hilarious and tends to get quiete right about then, if not we drop the whole machine for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.