Nys thruway

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6508

Can someone be kind enough to please tell me what the snow plow frequencies are for the New York State Thruway Authority snow plow trucks between exits 15 and 10 in Rockland County New York. MUCH THANKS!!

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Can someone be kind enough to please tell me what the snow plow frequencies are for the New York State Thruway Authority snow plow trucks between exits 15 and 10 in Rockland County New York. MUCH THANKS!!

We don't use these at the console because all communication is done from the The State Operations Center in Albany on the main dispatch radio frequencies for all zones at that location. However, here are some unit to unit channel freqs that are used at times by the field units for chit chat.

453.2625 - 97.4 & 123.0
453.7875 - 97.4 & 123.0
460.1250 - 97.4 & 123.0
460.3125 - 97.4 & 123.0
460.5875 - 97.4 & 123.0
460.6125 - 97.4 & 123.0
460.6375 - 97.4 & 123.0

Kevin R-35

k2ns

Dot frequencies

Looking in the NYS DOT listings, I see 47.22 for statewide, 47.40 for base to truck and truck to base, and 47.04 for truck to truck. Try them--there should be communication all year long.

RON

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Looking in the NYS DOT listings, I see 47.22 for statewide, 47.40 for base to truck and truck to base, and 47.04 for truck to truck. Try them--there should be communication all year long.

But that would be for State DOT...which handles State roads OTHER than the Thruway. Thruway does their own maintanence.

The NYSDOT frequencies should be for the PIP, 59, 304, 202, etc. (Unless the town/county steps in on any of those....sometimes locals clear state roads within their jurisdictions).

k2ns

No idea about the Thruway but he had to post. Why post when you don't have correct info?

I don't see you posting any info !!! All you're doing is complaining about something that you know nothing about. If you're so smart, tell us what the correct frequencies are. I was under the impression that the New York State Department of Transportation plowed the New York State Thruway, and I supplied the frequencies in the R/R database for the county that the original poster was asking for. The DOT plows the Taconic, the Hutch, the Cross County, and the Saw Mill, and I still think that they plow the Thruway. PROVE ME WRONG !!!

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No idea about the Thruway but he had to post. Why post when you don't have correct info?

Take a deep breath and relax, he was posting those frequencies with good intention. No need to jump down his throat.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't see you posting any info !!! All you're doing is complaining about something that you know nothing about. If you're so smart, tell us what the correct frequencies are. I was under the impression that the New York State Department of Transportation plowed the New York State Thruway, and I supplied the frequencies in the R/R database for the county that the original poster was asking for. The DOT plows the Taconic, the Hutch, the Cross County, and the Saw Mill, and I still think that they plow the Thruway. PROVE ME WRONG !!!

I know you meant well, but your impression is incorrect. NYS DOT and NYSTA are two separate entities. DOT does not maintain or plow roadways under the NYSTA's control, which include the entire Thruway itself, the Cross Westchester Expressway, the New England Thruway, I-84 and the Niagara Thruway. The NYSTA has its own vast maintenance division, including plow trucks. Prove you wrong? Sure, no problem.

NYSTA plow truck (note the NYSTA logo on the door)
thruway-4.jpg

NYS DOT plow truck (note the trademark blue paint on the hood)
nys-dot-plow-4.jpg

A good description of the NYSTA maintenance operations from nycroads.com

MAINTAINING THE THRUWAY: Like most toll road authorities, the NYSTA receives no appropriations of tax money from the Legislature to meet the cost of any of its operations. The Thruway Authority sold $972 million in bonds to pay for the construction costs of the Thruway's toll sections, $600 million for the original mainline and the remainder for the extensions. A total $500 million of these bonds is backed by full faith and credit of the New York State. The U.S. Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) has allocated federal aid to the New York State to help meet the costs of the free Thruway sections in Westchester, Rockland and Erie counties. Funds borrowed from the investors met the remainder of these costs.

The NYSTA's revenues pay all operating and maintenance expenses for both the toll and toll-free sections, including the full cost of the State Police. The Authority's revenues also pay for all bond retirement costs, including interest. Furthermore, thruway concessions - there are 27 service areas on the thruway mainline providing automobile service, restaurants, tourism information, ATM's and faxes - contribute to the NYSTA budget.

Specially trained crews maintain the thruway throughout the year at an annual cost of over $75 million. Maintenance crews are divided into four divisions (New York, Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo). These divisions are further divided into sections, each of which maintains an average of 28 miles of roadway.

More than 1,600 maintenance personnel use 3,000 different pieces of equipment to take care of the 559-mile Thruway system, including 819 bridges on the system. These include seven-ton trucks, pavement sweepers, mowing tractors and tugboats. Of some 1,400 vehicles in use, more than 400 can be converted into snowplows in winter. During the winter, special shifts are assigned to control snow and ice around the clock. During the summer, major improvements are carried out on the pavement, bridges, safety features and landscaping.

And a recent article in the Orange County Times Herald-Record about the NYSTA's contract to maintain I-84

Thruway Authority gets $10.3M to maintain I-84 | recordonline.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.