State Preparedness Training Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
I know this is a little late, but here is what I was able to obtain from the NYS Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services drill at the State Preparedness Training Center in Oriskany, NY on April 2nd, 2011.

148.1500 (162.2) Civil Air Patrol
388.0250 ( 69.3 ) Medical?
386.9250 ( 74.4 ) Maintenance?
396.3250 ( 71.9 ) OPS Repeater?
398.9250 (123.0) Incident Command Post; Repeater
413.2500 (N293) Staging?
413.5250 (N293)
453.8625 (156.7) U-TAC43

I did some research on the 300/400 MHz (gov't) frequencies listed above and I didn't come up with anything nationwide or statewide (other than CAP and U-TAC43 of course). So, I have to wonder if these frequencies were for this training event only, or if they would be used elsewhere again.

I understand many bases have switched to 300/400 MHz and some, like Ft. Drum, P25 trunked.

D

DaveNF2G

They are probably internal low power channels for training only within that facility.

ecps92

148.1500 (162.2) Civil Air Patrol - Probably the Utica Rptr [R-02], heard it wasn't due in-service till 2012

I know this is a little late, but here is what I was able to obtain from the NYS Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services drill at the State Preparedness Training Center in Oriskany, NY on April 2nd, 2011.

148.1500 (162.2) Civil Air Patrol
388.0250 ( 69.3 ) Medical?
386.9250 ( 74.4 ) Maintenance?
396.3250 ( 71.9 ) OPS Repeater?
398.9250 (123.0) Incident Command Post; Repeater
413.2500 (N293) Staging?
413.5250 (N293)
453.8625 (156.7) U-TAC43

I did some research on the 300/400 MHz (gov't) frequencies listed above and I didn't come up with anything nationwide or statewide (other than CAP and U-TAC43 of course). So, I have to wonder if these frequencies were for this training event only, or if they would be used elsewhere again.

I understand many bases have switched to 300/400 MHz and some, like Ft. Drum, P25 trunked.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
It is a state facility so I have no idea why they would be using those frequenices, not to mention I can't think of anything legal about any non-Fed using those frequencies. Something is fishy here... CAP OK, that I get, UTAC, yeah I understand that. But what is with the 380-399 stuff? That is a DOD allocation.

ecps92

DoD assetts used? How about the NY NG WMD/CST Team, they hang out in the 380-420 Band :) Or they used a local base's Ambulances?

Any News Stories / PR items on the Drill ? IT might help with ID'n the players.

It is a state facility so I have no idea why they would be using those frequenices, not to mention I can't think of anything legal about any non-Fed using those frequencies. Something is fishy here... CAP OK, that I get, UTAC, yeah I understand that. But what is with the 380-399 stuff? That is a DOD allocation.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
You are right, who was using what is the big question. I am skeptical the 380-399MHz Freqs in use were directly related to the training center, that was what I was rather poorly alluding too. What assests may have brought their own communications infrastructure with them is a different and much more interesting question. Those frequencies could perhaps be national or regional assignements:) There will be more of this I am sure. We love this hobby why?.... There is another exercise coming up in September that the 174th is going to be involved in. If somthing comes up that I can divulge I will post it.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
Just because this is a "state facility" doesn't mean those frequencies can't be used there.

And being "skeptical" the 380-399MHz Freqs in use were directly related to the training center...... they were talking about "casualties", "command post," "medical," and "staging." Not to mention I was about 1/4 mile away from the training site. So if it wasn't directly related to the training center, then what was I hearing??? (in the middle of nowhere)

This was a 3 day training exercise. It involved the following:

350+ members of the US Army and Air National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
US Air Force’s civilian auxiliary force
New York State Police Contaminated Crime Scene Emergency Response Team
New York Task Force 2
New York's urban search and rescue team
Oneida County Emergency Management
Oriskany Fire Department
Utica City Fire Department
Utica HAZMAT
City of Rome HAZMAT Team
Rome Memorial Hospital
and some other county and town Fire and Emergency Services

New York National Guard personnel and vehicles were flown to Hancock Field Air National Guard Base in Syracuse from Stewart Air National Guard Base outside Newburgh in giant C-5A cargo aircraft and the vehicles convoyed to the exercise site.

NYS DMNA Press Release: New York National Guard, State and Local Responders Conduct Emergency Drill This Weekend

Next time I spend a day listening to a training exsercise, I am better off just keeping the frequencies to myself. I thought I would be nice and SHARE what I heard.

I post my research on here, and BOY... Was I WRONG. Now I have to sit here and listen to everyone tell me how these frequencies weren't related to the incident, etc etc etc. Were you there to listen???

No one is there to listen to an event, but as soon as you post what you heard, someone sure can be there to critique what I heard!!

And FYI... do some more research on the 300/400 band. Military bases across the US have started using these more, and more. For several years now.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The intersquad radios are probably a good bet, that would make a lot of sense. Army National guard would have been issued those radios. It was probably the army national guard assets that Len was hearing during the exercise. They do have mobile repeaters for those radios. I think we nailed down who was using the 380s.

Len I am not sure why you are so upset...We have been working though some of your origional questions...

"I did some research on the 300/400 MHz (gov't) frequencies listed above and I didn't come up with anything nationwide or statewide (other than CAP and U-TAC43 of course). So, I have to wonder if these frequencies were for this training event only, or if they would be used elsewhere again.

I understand many bases have switched to 300/400 MHz and some, like Ft. Drum, P25 trunked."

What we have been able to establish, which i believe addresss your questions, is:

1. The training center is a facility of New York State, and therefore not eligable to license or use frequencies between 380Mhz and 420Mhz

2. As those frequencies were used on the site, it must have been by a DoD type asset. Only DoD can use 380MHz-400Mhz. The national guard units would have access to these frequencies, and the equipment to use it. The intersquad radios, ISRs or IComms is the most likely useage that you heard.

3. Those frequencies were probably in use for this exercise only, becuase of who the participants were, The 380s are not something you would see used over there on a regular basis.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
New York State has or had some 406-420 frequencies licensed for above the line A region (close to Canada) when I was in the guard. I will have to look in one of my System Sabers, for I programmed them in for the Y2K drill many years ago.

After some searching take a look at:
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNUW621 - New York State Emergency Management Office - Locations Summary
and
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNUW622 - New York State Emergency Management Office - Frequencies Summary

Last edited:

ecps92

the 420-430 band that was authorized for Local Public Safety? :confused:

New York State has or had some 406-420 frequencies licensed for above the line A region (close to Canada) when I was in the guard. I will have to look in one of my System Sabers, for I programmed them in for the Y2K drill many years ago.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNUW621 - New York State Emergency Management Office - Locations Summary
and
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNUW622 - New York State Emergency Management Office - Frequencies Summary

ecps92

406-420 is for the Govt, lets not confuse folks

You mean

421-430 MHz (jpeg)
  • Available only in Detroit, Buffalo, and Cleveland
  • Channels spaced every 6.25 kHz
  • Authorized Bandwidth is 20 kHz, 11.25 kHz or 6 kHz

In areas where there is the possibility of transmissions going into Canada (line A) on 450-470 mhz the 406 to 420 is authorized not only for local public safety but business too. Buffalo is another area that has access to 406-420 as well as Cleveland,Oh and others.

ecps92

Those licenses are for Telemetry, typically for River Guage reporting.

Tones of them across the Country as part of IFLOWS

and

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It also appears that there are non Fed agencies licensed for the 406-420 mhz by the listings I provided, maybe they weren't used for voice, but non the less they are licensed in the 406-420. Well I have to tell you I definitly have about a dozen 406-420 freqs in my System Saber that as I said are or were licensed to DMNA of New York State. I can't find the list so I will have to read the radio when I can. We also ran at 25kc spacing and DES. The last time I used them was in 2000 for the Y2K drill and standby on New Years Eve 1999. I would love to find that license, but it appears it's no longer in the database.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

If the license authorizing those frequencies to that agency at that bandwidth are not in the ULS, then such operation is no longer authorized. This is consistent with what ecps92 has been saying.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
DMNA can usually get Fed frequencies cross-licensed, beacuse of the roll the DMNA agenices play as partners with the Federal Govt, civil support, etc. Also, along the Canadian Border, Canadian civil agencies use 406-420, RCMP is in there as well. There may be a cross-border interoperability reason as well. There used to be a bunch of 167-169MHz repeaters up along the northern NY border available to many agenices, US, Canadian, Federal and local. I have done a lot of work cross licensing Feds and locals, It is a very cumbersome process.

Status
Not open for further replies.