State University Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

So apparently Police operations on SUNY campuses are handled by the State University of New York Police which is part of the State Police. Does anybody know if these units are operating on their respective troops' VHF-Hi channels or if each campus is using a separate system (i.e. the trunked system for the county that contains the campus)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Suny New Paltz uses their own VHF Hi repeater which is simulcasted over a 800Mhz trunked system.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
By the way, SUNY Police are NOT part of the NYSP. And you will find that each campus has it's own freqs, but may also operate on County and State Police channels.

Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Correct SUNY PD are NOT NYSP, but do have the same powers as State Police. SUNY Brockport (The College at Brockport) Also have thier own UHF chan. and are the only other LEA in Monroe County not P-25.. (Other is RIT/NTID PD) Of the State LEA's in Monroe County, NYSP is pure analog, State Park PD is using the MCSO dispatch freqs. :)

N0BDW

Correct SUNY PD are NOT NYSP, but do have the same powers as State Police. SUNY Brockport (The College at Brockport) Also have thier own UHF chan. and are the only other LEA in Monroe County not P-25.. (Other is RIT/NTID PD) Of the State LEA's in Monroe County, NYSP is pure analog, State Park PD is using the MCSO dispatch freqs. :)

You forgot Monroe Community College, which is considered a SUNY entity, and their "campus safety" is analog.

nyjason13

Premium Subscriber
NYS University Police are sworn officers (they're not rent-a-cops/security guards). I guess you could say they are part of the NYSP. At SUNYIT, the plates on their cars are 7D90 and 7D91 (to indicate Troop D, zone 7, car 90 and 91). Zone 7 is the University Police (at least in troop D). At Morrisville State College, they are 7D100something for each of their four or five vehicles.

At SUNYIT, they have their own repeater and frequencies. Same goes for SUNY Morrisville.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
NYS University Police are sworn officers (they're not rent-a-cops/security guards). I guess you could say they are part of the NYSP. At SUNYIT, the plates on their cars are 7D90 and 7D91 (to indicate Troop D, zone 7, car 90 and 91). Zone 7 is the University Police (at least in troop D). At Morrisville State College, they are 7D100something for each of their four or five vehicles.

At SUNYIT, they have their own repeater and frequencies. Same goes for SUNY Morrisville.

The 7 prefix indicates a non-NYSP unit that is dispatched by NYSP and/or operates on their channels. The 7 does not indicate a zone. Each troop can have up to four zones, which are the 1 through 4 prefixes. 5 indicates BCI, 6 indicates a portable or special detail, 7 indicates non-NYSP units (7N indicates DEC), 8 indicates miscellaneous (usually Park Police) and 9 indicates communications.

Take a look at these charts, they break everything down even further:

New York State Police

http://www.nf2g.com/scannist/text/nysp_d.txt

D

DaveNF2G

Community Colleges that are part of the SUNY system are not generally patrolled by SUNY PD, because they are not operated by SUNY. There is a variety of certification schemes for CC public safety.

Where I teach (Hudson Valley CC), the public safety patrol are certified as Peace Officers under NYS CPL Article 2.

tuffaznalz

Where I teach (Hudson Valley CC), the public safety patrol are certified as Peace Officers under NYS CPL Article 2.

The same applies to Monroe CC Public Safety.

Roch. Inst. of Tech/Nat'l Inst for the Deaf does not have Police or Peace Officers, only certified Security Guards.

tylerwx2000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wa I was looking for.

Wa freq. Does stony brook use??

bezking

bkantor

My son goes to SUNY Stony Brook, so I usually have one of my scanners parked on their talkgroups. Quite busy - very interesting stuff!

comspec

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

4W50? Is that a unit number or the type of Motor Oil they need?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

univpd522

Supd

I am a senior dispatcher for Stony Brook University Police dept. True we are not "part" of the Sate Police. We are "part" of the State Police system. That is to say our organization spans many different counties and jurisdictions. State University Police agencies are assigned to 28 Campuses throughout Neew York State. In addition to the main Campus, We also have "Stony Brook Southampton" which is over 300 acres on the South fork. Our dept has utilized the Suffolk County radio system since 1996 and operates on 5 talk groups.

If any one has ant questions, feel free to ask. I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.