Hello! Some Qs on buying a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridin

Hello,

Newbie here with an interest in scanners, living in NYC and I am primarily interested in NYPD and possibly FDNY.

I have been reading a researching for a few days and am still confused, I checked the DB and saw the various freqs used by the above agencies. Perhaps you guys can tell me what works and what doesnt as I have read some conflicting information.

My needs
A cheap handheld scanner(read the laws and is illegal in vehicles which is fine as I plan to use at home and on foot)
Dont want to pay more than a $100 really, the cheaper the better.

I see Radioshack has refurb pro164 for 120 with free shipping, will this be the best for me?

Or should I go with a GRE PSR100 or a Uniden BC72HXLT?

Thanks and very informative forum here!

nyscan

Welcome....Since NYPD and FDNY are neither trunked nor digital, there are no special features required in a scanner to monitor those agencies. Any one will be fine so go with the best price.

Ridin

Thank you, after considerable more research are alpha tags worth it?

It appears being in NYC with the amount of precincts and firehouses, it would make it easier if the scanner had alpha tags?

Otherwise would the channels be saved by frequency?

Ridin

Sorry in case I'm unclear, for example if listening to the 75 precinct and I don't have alpha tags and the frequency is 408.11, would I have to remember to tune to 408.11 in my memory as opposed to 75

krokus

Premium Subscriber

It appears being in NYC with the amount of precincts and firehouses, it would make it easier if the scanner had alpha tags?

Basically, yes. Each memory slot (or channel) in your scanner would be assigned a frequency. IE:
001 - 154.595
002 - 155.895
etc...

Sorry in case I'm unclear, for example if listening to the 75 precinct and I don't have alpha tags and the frequency is 408.11, would I have to remember to tune to 408.11 in my memory as opposed to 75

Without the Alpha tags, you have to remember what each of the frequencies is. The Alpha tags tell you, each time. You will probably start to remember which frequency is for which user.

You might want to talk to some scanner users in your area, and see what works for them. Maybe you would like what they have, or you could figure out something that works for you, that is a combination of what others have done.

Good luck, and enjoy listening.

nyscan

Yes. Without alpha tags you would have to at least commit the channel # (if the particular model displays it) to memory if not the whole frequency. You would be surprised that it's not that hard after a while. So, it all depends on what you can afford to spend. I do think that alpha tags (and PL Tone capability) are worth it if your budget allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.