New NYCOMCO UHF control channels Beacon, Schunnemunk, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I was doing some UHF band searching and came upon some new control channels. They sound like Motorola CC's, but my PSR500 is not decoding them:

477.6375 licensed to NYCOMCO on Schunnemunk / WQNM478 / FB6

460.6500 licensed to NYCOMCO on Illinois, Clove, Fishkill (unable to determine due to my location) / multiple licenses for the same frequency

463.5125 licensed to NYCOMCO on Sams Pt, Silver and East Mtn / three separate licenses.

Also found one up on Beacon:

451.8625 licesned to Repeater Network, LLC (aka Goosetown) on Beacon / WPMP939 / FB8

Anyone able to decode or have an idea what they are up to?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I can hear three of those control channels and they are not the usual Motorola control channels. Listening to the files at Digital Modes Samples the Mototrbo recording sounds most like what I hear on the frequencies you listed.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Also found one up on Beacon:

451.8625 licesned to Repeater Network, LLC (aka Goosetown) on Beacon / WPMP939 / FB8

Goosetown is building out a MOTOTRBO system. The system will run parallel to their LTR/PP system, for now at least. So far they've only started building out sites on the east side of the river, but eventually the sites on the west side will be online also.

The NYCOMCO licenses show 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD emission designators, which are MOTOTRBO. You'll also note that many of their UHF licenses were recently modified to add one or both of those designators, within the past few months. I would suspect that NYCOMCO is doing the same thing as Goosetown, replacing their UHF LTR system with MOTOTRBO.

paul

I'm also thinking these are Mototrbo trunked systems. The 460.65 MHz. channel is likely on Illinois Mtn. - it can be heard without an antenna on the scanner in Poughkeepsie.
As I posted on 5/11/11 the City of Poughkeepsie DPW got new radios installed in May and then disappeared from EDACS. I've since seen Laird UHF antennas on their vehicles. Since they're not being heard anywhere else NYCOMCO may've sold the city on Mototrbo.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's MOTOTRBO, that is 100% confirmed. Both companies are building out TRBO systems to eventually take the place of their LTR systems.

BTW 463.5125 is coming off Sams Point - WPMW527

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
From what I've heard NYCOMCO is trying to get non public safety agencies off of EDACS and move them over to TURBO... I've seen a Transcare Rig a few months ago with a Turbo radio in it not sure if they were set up on a turbo system or not. I know that NYCOMCO is installing VHF Turbo radios in the cop cars but as of right now they are in conventional mode. I wouldn't be surprised if NYCOMCO builds a VHF TURBO system any time soon.

sc800

Why are public safety agencies (Transcare and PD units) using business spec radios, and maybe getting pushed to a business spec system (TRBO). Isn't that against some kind of FCC rules?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why are public safety agencies (Transcare and PD units) using business spec radios, and maybe getting pushed to a business spec system (TRBO). Isn't that against some kind of FCC rules?

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of MOTOTRBO for public safety usage.

That being said, the notion that MOTOTRBO is "business spec" or is inferior to public safety systems is utter nonsense. It's a common myth around here that MOTOTRBO is somehow not "public safety grade", and frankly, it's BS. I'm not sure who started the nonsense, but clearly it keeps getting regurgitated by people who have no real knowledge of the system (no offense Vincent, just calling it how I see it).

The plain fact is that Motorola themselves market MOTOTRBO as a public safety solution. As I said in my preface, I'm not a fan of the idea of public safety users going to MOTOTRBO systems for various reasons, but people really need to get off this "MOTOTRBO IS INFERIOR!" kick.

Oh and for the record, there is no distinction between "Industrial/Business" and "Public Safety" as far as the FCC is concerned for equipment certification (the old "type acceptance"). They both fall under Private Land Mobile Radio Services (PLMRS) and are governed by Part 90. Any equipment certified for PLMRS use can be used for "Public Safety" or "Industrial/Business". (note that portions of the spectrum are still licensed as "Public Safety" or "Industrial/Business", but that's not relevant to this discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.