Schoharie County

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0untyb0y

With the scope of devastation in Schoharie County, understandably it could very well be weeks before whoever was providing the online feed there has the system running again. If anyone else is in range of receiving Schoharie's fire and law coms could add them to their existing online scanner, I would be very appreciative. Being part of a mutual aid swift water rescue team that was deployed and demobilized from Schoharie County I wanted to listen in now on how they are managing with this very unfortunate situation.

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
I live right in the village of Schoharie and it was a very rough 4-5 days. Thank God, where my house is located on Main Street, I might be higher than anyone else and I was lucky to get no flooding. Especially since the house directly across the street had 7 feet of water. And 3 doors down in either direction they had similar water. A good friend living right near Stewarts store had 12 ft. in his house.

During this entire disaster, they have been making use of many frequencies, some that I didnt believe were active anymore. IE. 45.08, 45.48. They also used Fire Ch "2" 46.22 regularly plus all the regulars.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that they also have started using 153.7625 again. Now, I'm just not sure if they did this because of increased emergency traffic or if this will be back full-time.

I don't know how to do the audio feed and I am not sure of the committment it would take. I am not sure that I could keep it on 24/7 and I am sure inactivity (no feed) would be frustrating for the online listener.

Most importantly, thank you for your service. All of the emergency people involved truly risked their lives during this storm/flood. I believe I can speak for everyone here in the Valley when I say "thank you" very much for the help.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I have been getting the digital buzz-saw on their narrow band 154.3175, and the 996T won't decode it. Possibly that TRBO we heard about ?

Last edited:

Warthog1

Silent Key
Monitoring Schoharie county sheriff's frequencies and I have been hearing a unit 1-W-21
Anybody know what agency it belongs to ? Sounds likw a NYSP identifier, but I see no listing for 'W' units.

emt8105

In Tioga County, Waverly PD uses cars 1 W 01-1 W 30's or so there maybe more.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
"W" i would think is New York City DEP Watershed Police.....check there roof of cars....required to have numba on roof now...i have seen a car in Greene county with it on roof but forgot to write it down...

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
Schoharie County has been getting road patrol assistance from different counties. Otsego County in particular. But the identifiers that I have generally heard for them would be something along the lines of "Schoharie to Otsego 233". They have these units patrolling right in the village of Middleburgh + Schoharie. Probably because they are less familar with the back roads so they keep them in the village.

Also...as a side note. I went out and bought two digital scanners so I could hear the Schoharie Co Sheriff Dept when they use digital. The only time I can receive a transmission that is not scrambled (for lack of a better term) is mobile to mobile digital. Those I can receive but not car to base or base to car.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Thanks chaser.
Do they go digital on their normal frequencies, or the narrow band.
I have heard digital on 154.3175, but my 996, PSR-600 or 2096 won't decode it.
I also see nothing on their license for digital modes.

Last edited:

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
Don

I heard mobile to mobile on narrowband. I also heard traffic from the scene of a fire on 154.100 on my non-digital radios. But I am thinking maybe that was the freq. available to some fire companies that responded to this particular fire. perhaps they didnt have 46.18, 46.22 or 153.7625 in their trucks???

45.48 is getting tons of use this week. The crews in charge of pumping out basements are all using that as their dedicated freq.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I listened to the Sheriff dispatch freq as we drove through the county today, no digital traffic that I heard.

Mike

stagnuts

So the county dispatch is now located in the Cobleskill Police station since the county building is unable to be deemed safe to be in. They have a desk with two radios, Low band fire, and VHF EMS. Than using the CPD radio for PD dispatch. So county fire is on 46.18 for dispatch, 46.22 for FG opps. Also yes the repeater freq of 153.7625 is back up and running. But I am only able to hear the units in the field on it. I am unable to pick up dispatch talking to the units in the field or dispatching a call but i can hear them call dispatch. Weird. Police dispatch is on 155.7300 like normal.

And yea we have everyone down here working and helping to clean up and get things back up and running. The Fire and EMS staging house is at the Middleburgh fire station. The state Fire and EMS are at the fair grounds. WOW what a cluster. Leave at that. National Guard was at the Cobleskill fire house but r now at the fair grounds. Really wanna say thanks to everyone that came down to help out. It is making us local providers able to get some rest. BIG THANKS.

Was at the ED tonight, and they are getting swamped. Just a little facts about the ED. It is a 7 bed ED with 1 Dr, anywhere from 2-3 RN's and a tech. Able to handle same things and everything else gets Tx to mostly Bassett Cooperstown. Hate that trip.... So when they have every bed and multiple people in the waiting room it really sucks. But just wanna say thanks to the Dr's and RN's that have been on doing the best they can. So if u do have do have to go in and be seen. Please don't yell and complain that it is taking them forever. They are trying.

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
The few times that I have heard mobile to mobile digital transmissions, they have always said "go to digital". It seems like they do not always monitor it and only use it when they don't have a cell signal. I hear them on primary, then they'll say "can you go to digital mobile channel?"

For me, these two digital scanners were a pretty big waste of money.

stagnuts

I haven't heard them on the digital channels. I'm thinking maybe either Coby PD have a digital radio set up or they have it in the mobile MCI van. Not sure but I can ask dispatch in the morning.

c0untyb0y

first off, thanks to the feed provider for getting Schoharie Co back up & running.

after I posted this thread, I programmed in the VHF fire & law channels to my house scanner and, albeit very weak and scratchy, the law channel came in! but with the weather it comes and goes.

The state Fire and EMS are at the fair grounds. WOW what a cluster. Leave at that. National Guard was at the Cobleskill fire house but r now at the fair grounds.

cluster!? heh!!! our water rescue team was embedded with a national guard unit the Monday morning after the flooding to go to North Blenheim to rescue some stranded residents there. apparently the national guard actually sent two units there. the other guard unit got there two hours ahead of us and completed the rescues. never told our guard unit the job was done and we rolled into town just to get turned around about a half hour later. but the best part was that the guard unit we were with, staged at Cobleskill FD, couldn't move a muscle without their commander, who at the time was with the Guv giving a briefing. after the commander arrived a hour and half later, the convoy set out for... the Hess station because the guard needed gas and coffee! not that they couldn't have gassed up while waiting for the commander!!! no wonder that other unit got there before we did.

yeah, better leave the State Fire guys out of this one for now because the next word after cluster begins with the letter F for those fellas.

by the way... does anyone know where the mutual aid companies are staying at? I hope it isn't that abandoned building the county owns on back taxes on the road just down from Cobleskill DOT heading on the way past the fairgrounds. one of the Cobleskill FD members told us he used to work there and head it had black mold in it. makes me glad I slept in our trailer!

Warthog1

Silent Key
I think it was just on the news that the firefighters and law enforcement are staying at Schoharie school. It showed a view with fire apparatus there.

Status
Not open for further replies.