Structure of NYPD Precinct

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarshah

Hi,

I have searched online extensively and found good information about NYPD on an organizational level as a whole. However, everywhere i looked, details at the precinct level is missing. if someone could point me in the right direction or share with me information regarding the following:

- What is the structure of a precinct (in charge to lowest ranked officer)

- How does a precinct operate for resolving crimes? For example if a crime is reported, what are the steps taken until its resolution/case closure.

- Jurisdiction/duties/responsibilities assigned to different officers.

- Any other detail that will help me understand the police station standard procedures.

Please also share with me any websites or articles that will help me understand a precinct at a granular level.

Thanks.

one11sgt

Hi,

I have searched online extensively and found good information about NYPD on an organizational level as a whole. However, everywhere i looked, details at the precinct level is missing. if someone could point me in the right direction or share with me information regarding the following:

- What is the structure of a precinct (in charge to lowest ranked officer)

- How does a precinct operate for resolving crimes? For example if a crime is reported, what are the steps taken until its resolution/case closure.

- Jurisdiction/duties/responsibilities assigned to different officers.

- Any other detail that will help me understand the police station standard procedures.

Please also share with me any websites or articles that will help me understand a precinct at a granular level.

Thanks.

The structure highest to lowest:
CO (Could be a Captain, Deputy Inspector or Inspector)
XO (Captain)
Platoon Commander (Lieutenant)
Patrol Supervisor (Sergeant)
Officer/Detective

Each command has 3 patrol platoons. 1=Midnight 2=Days 3=Evening
Each patrol Platoon has 3 squads. Each squad works 5 days has 2 off works another 5 has 3 off. Repeat.
There is special operations, which includes crime, conditions, sneu, traffic, schools, etc
There is impact in some commands which usually follows the structure of patrol.
There are also a number of administrative positions held by different ranks.

When a crime is reported patrol responds and does the initial investigation. If they cannot make an arrest then the report is taken. If the crime is a felony it is forwarded to the pct detective squad who follow up. If it is a misdemeanor where the perp is known, it is also forwarded. If it is a misd with no leads, it is documented and closed on the scene. If it becomes a pattern it will generate an investigation.

As I said above, officers have different responsibilities. Some answer 911, some concentrate on certain police functions, some work administratively and some are assigned to high crime blocks. The jurisdiction of any NYPD Officer is the entire City of New York.

sarshah

Thanks a lot for your detailed response. It really helped me understand the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.