Albany Fire Department response codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewise

What are the codes used by the AFD? Adam, Charlie, Delta etc
I guess Adam means no sirens and/or lights
I never heard Bravo (or whatever "B" is called)
I think a Charlie response may be first unit emergency speed others at no code
Delta should be all units emergency
and I also heard an Edward response

Thanks
Bob

D

DaveNF2G

Do you mean Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo? They are EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch) response codes. Generally, they work this way:

Alpha: BLS only, no l/s
Bravo: BLS only, first unit hot
Charlie: ALS/BLS, first unit hot
Delta: ALS/BLS, all units hot
Echo: used for known cardiac arrests, but all units already run hot for Delta, so I'm not sure why there is an extra code.

rewise

Afd

Dave

They also used them last week-end for fire calls. There was a "A" response for an outside gas leak and the numerous AFA's were all run as "B" calls.

Bob

D

DaveNF2G

Albany, like many cities around New York State, appears to be doing their own thing with respect to the use of "standard" response protocols.

6m171

DaveNF2G said:
Echo: used for known cardiac arrests, but all units already run hot for Delta, so I'm not sure why there is an extra code.

When an EMS call is EMD coded as an Echo level call, it's typically a multi-agency emergency response. Cardiac arrests, MVA with confirmed entrapment, and a select few other types of calls are designated as Echo.

It's been a while since I've looked at my EMD book. I'll have to dig it out and see if I can find the complete list.

These codes, however, are for EMS only. There is another set of cards and codes (similar to the EMD protocol) for use in the fire service, and yet another for LE.

Last edited:

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
The EMD process is set up for multi-agency (tiered) response, but not all jurisdictions respond as such. The response levels can also be broken down further as to an ambulance responding P-1 and first response responding P-2 or vise versa.

Alpha: BLS Call Priority 2
Bravo: BLS Call Priority 1
Charlie: ALS Call Priority 1
Delta: ALS Call Priority 1, with cardiac or respiratory history or questionable life status.
Echo: ALS Call Priority 1 Immediate Life Threat; Cardiac, Respiratory Arrest, etc. In the Pro-QA/EMD Process as soon as the dispatcher reaches the question concerning life status, if the dispatcher determines that the patient is in an arrest state the Pro-QA/EMD process pauses and resources are automatically dispatched.
(Not all jurisdictions use the Echo Determinate, they still just dispatch the call as a Delta)
Omega: No response required.

Again these are recommendations and some agencies respond as THEY see fit, not according to the determination that has been given by the dispatcher.

Some agencies dispatch calls as either P1 or P2, or P1 ALS, P1 BLS, P2 BLS etc. or may even break it down to the exact “card” and symptom/history, such as 6-Delta-1 (this is just an example I am not at work so I may not get the symptom/history exact) but the 6 represents the Respiratory Distress Card, Delta Response, 1 being the symptom/history such as cardiac history which would automatically raise the call to a Delta Response.

Again, I have tried to explain it the best I can without having the Pro-QA/EMD right in front of me. We have been using the Pro-QA/EMD program for about 10 years.

jmv3085

Premium Subscriber
Albany and Schenectady use the same response code for all calls fire and ems. Ems is as assigned by the dispatcher after EMD.Fire calls are pre determined in CAD based on call type. Albany leaves what word used up to the dispatcher but used to prefer the non military phonetic alphabet. ex a b response is a b response whether the dispatcher states bravo response or boy response.

jmv3085

Premium Subscriber
Also the e response was added as 58006 stated to make for quicker dispatching of immediate life threats. Dispatch is right after the initial questions, and is also supposed to call for the closest available units to respond even if they would not normally be assigned to ems runs.

lafd55

signal 600 is said over the radio meaning that the ambulance is enroute to the hospital with ALS onboard and typically means that an IV was started.

D

DaveNF2G

Andrew is right. ALS workups are often done "on protocol" so there is no need to contact a doctor for certain treatments.

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
The response for each determinant gets the following -

A -BLS Company Cold & Mohawk Cold
B- BLS Company Hot/ALS Company Cold & Mohawk Cold
C- ALS & BLS Companys Hot & Mohawk Cold (Per SOP) but they go hot anyway...
D- ALS, BLS & Mohawk Hot
E- ALS, BLS & Mohawk Hot (Usually gets a police supervisor as well)

Signal 600 - ALS Being administered by units on scene
Code 35 - DOA

Signal 10 The end result of a fire calls where after the initial investigation, it is deemed fire department services are not required. Cancels all incoming units and returns units on scene to service.

Signal 15 A condition found after the initial investigation by the company officer, where he/she believes there is no immediate or obvious danger allowing resources to be downgraded. a. When a Signal 15 is transmitted, the remaining companies will be downgraded to an “A” Alpha response, the 3rd Engine and the 2nd Truck can be cancelled. Signal 15 is only a temporary signal that will result in a Signal 10, 20 or 30 being transmitted.

Signal 20 The end result of a fire calls where after the initial investigation, something is found that is not necessary to hold the full 1st Alarm assignment to control.

Signal 30 Will employ the commitment of the full first alarm assignment. An all hands working fire, w/smoke or fire showing that will take the initial alarm or greater to control.

kc2kvy

Feed Provider
The response for each determinant gets the following -

A -BLS Company Cold & Mohawk Cold
B- BLS Company Hot/ALS Company Cold & Mohawk Cold
C- ALS & BLS Companys Hot & Mohawk Cold (Per SOP) but they go hot anyway...
D- ALS, BLS & Mohawk Hot
E- ALS, BLS & Mohawk Hot (Usually gets a police supervisor as well)

Eli, you know as well as I do that Mohawk SOP states a C response is lights and sirens.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
What does ALS and BLS mean

ALS & BLS are the heart of all EMS terminology.

ALS = Advanced Life Support
BLS = Basic Life Support

Rather than me or someone else trying to explain each in detail, I suggest you use Google and do some intensive reading about these things. If you are serious about listening to scanner traffic, you'll need to understand and comprehend this and a lot more.

bwolf123

Most of the posts are wrong but 10-75 got it right. Echo is a little strange. E is the same as D but is usually used for cardiac arrests. My understanding is that Echo is used when dispatchers are still on the line, instructing the caller or getting additional information so the responding units get a head start. I am not 100% sure about this but like I said, it is the same actual response as D.

D

DaveNF2G

I think Echo means that everybody goes hot, including agencies that would not normally do so outside the fire department. It also authorizes other department units near the scene to respond on an emergency basis even if not individually dispatched (fire inspectors, etc.).

kc2kvy

Feed Provider
In a perfect world, an Echo response indicates all trained personell may respond, whether it be an ambulance returning from a hospital to their own district, a dump truck with CPR qualified people, or a lay person who has been trained in CPR.

Check out this iPhone app that dispatches the closest trained lay rescuer being used in San Ramon Valley in California. Excellent idea, and could save lives. Every cardiac arrest reversal I've ever had was the result of early CPR and early defibrillation.

Status
Not open for further replies.