NYPD - photo, what portable is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

I saw a NYPD officer working a bank detail in Brooklyn (off duty), who had this radio. What is this old radio?

This is an old photo I found on the web, but that's the same radio. I looked on batlabs but didn't find it.

thanks

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 5,275

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
These radios were made by Motorola and were the MX300 series. Before the Singapore Police Force installed their TETRA digital system a few years ago, they used the same exact radios that are seen in this photo. Back then the SPF operated on the 482 MHz band.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

Raccon

These radios were made by Motorola and were the MX300 series. Before the Singapore Police Force installed their TETRA digital system a few years ago, they used the same exact radios that are seen in this photo. Back then the SPF operated on the 482 MHz band.
AFAIK the Singapore police uses TETRAPOL, not TETRA.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Yep the ol MX-300s not only did NYPD use them but in EMS we used them also so did FD. They were virtually indestructible. The city purchased them and they were used for both 400mhz and 150mhz since back then EMS, PD and FD were all on those bands.

george

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
I find it funny someone was carrying one of those! My uncle used these at work, (800 MHz business band) That was my early introduction to commercial two way radio... When they upgraded to Nextel in the late 90s, he gave me a couple to play with as I was about 8 years old. They were cool radios, and wouldnt mind finding them in the basement somewhere :)

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I have 3 MX330's that are 2 channels laying around I'm going to get one of them set up for 2 meters. They are solid radios

sragen

I have one in VHF and picked up a Vehicle Adapter (or whatever it was called then). Interestingly its in white. Not sure what I was planning but forgot about it until cleaning the garage. At some point i guess I'll knob dick w/it.

Paul-W

That is one old radio. I remember those back in the early 1980s when I use to live in Chicago. They were the primary HT used by the Chicago Transit Authority conductors and train motorman. They sure could take a lot of abuse.

nautlynch

Probably old news but i'm new - Someone disagrees with that but "73s" sounds better:

http://www.signalharbor.com/73.html said:
Making any of these numbers plural (73s, 88s, etc.) is incorrect since they are already plural. 73s would mean best regardses and 88s would mean love and kisseses. Those make no sense.

73s to ya

hehe, then there is this page! http://www.mikezulu.com/73s.htm

Last edited:

Squad10

The first portable radio series to incorporate Motorola's Securenet, throw GE G sales into a tailspin and manage to po the federal frequency monitoring enthusiast.

4-crime

You may not have actually seen this radio on the officer. It is possible you saw a vertex vx537 scuffed up with all the paint scratched off. When the vx537 gets scuffed up and the paint gets warn off you can see the silver metal frame which looks similar to the MX300 since it too has a metal housing.

Just an idea...I really don't think a cop of today would count on an old radio like that in an emergency situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.