FDNY Input Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

A "mixer" is a repeater. If the database states directly that FDNY does not use repeaters, then it is incorrect.

W2NJS

That word "mixer" confuses a lot of people. Here's how it works. The dispatcher has control over whether or not the repeater retransmits the input signal; if the repeater is turned on then everyone hears what comes into the repeater. If it's turned off the repeater is disabled, and only the dispatcher hears the input signal. It's the exact thing as having a person at the repeater site deciding whether or not the incoming signal is going to be retransmitted, that's all.

k2hz

Database Admin
Under FCC Part 90 the term "Repeater" is not used. The Station Class "FB2" is a "Mobile Relay Station".

The definition in 90.7 is: Mobile relay station. A base station in the mobile service
authorized to retransmit automatically on a mobile service frequency
communications which originate on the transmitting frequency of the
mobile station.

If the retransmission is not done "automatically" the station is not necessarily licensed as "FB2", it could be "FB" if the the retransmission is strictly under the control of the dispatcher.

The RadioReference database does not strictly follow the FCC station class and defines "R" as "Repeater". This is a case of popular usage of a term not necessarily the same as the legal definition.

While a station licensed and operating as "FB2" would be "R" in the database, I think it is questionable how a station that retransmits the mobiles only under dispatcher control should be classified.

If I understand the FDNY system correctly, it is never operated in a strictly automatic mode. The term "mixer" implies that the dispatcher activates the transmitter and may or may not elect to use the audio mixer capability to retransmit the mobile audio while the transmitter is keyed.

W2NJS

I was trying to write the "short version" of how it works for the benefit of those whose eyes glaze over when you start talking FCC, mobile relay, etc. I believe that a mixer is an electrical appliance that sits on the kitchen counter and combines cooking ingredients.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Repeaters, Mixers & Mobile Relays

i was trying to write the "short version" of how it works for the benefit of those whose eyes glaze over when you start talking fcc, mobile relay, etc. I believe that a mixer is an electrical appliance that sits on the kitchen counter and combines cooking ingredients.

rotflmao

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to write the "short version" of how it works for the benefit of those whose eyes glaze over when you start talking FCC, mobile relay, etc. I believe that a mixer is an electrical appliance that sits on the kitchen counter and combines cooking ingredients.

Mmm... Cookies!

Status
Not open for further replies.