Nassau county ,,,Grant sought to upgrade emergency radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Grant sought to upgrade emergency radios

Fire and ambulance departments across Nassau County are seeking help to comply with a federal requirement to upgrade their radio systems.

The county's 77 volunteer fire departments and ambulance companies have joined to apply for a $661,000 grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, following a Federal Communications Commission mandate that all jurisdictions' radios more efficiently use a limited frequency spectrum by 2013.

Known as "narrowbanding," the move creates added frequency capacity for new channels and better communication among public safety agencies.

Nassau police's Emergency Ambulance Bureau submitted the grant application, and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced his support for it Monday in Floral Park.

Suffolk fire departments, which also must get FCC compliance, have generally made their aid requests individually, officials said.

Some Nassau fire districts need to upgrade seven or eight radios, at roughly $3,500 each. Even after setting aside funds in their 2012 budgets, district commissioners may be forced to raise taxes to finance the equipment, Schumer said.

"They'll have little choice but to do so," he said, "and the burden will fall on the fire department or the taxpayer."

Richard Gardner, vice chairman of the Nassau County Fire Commission, said that without the grant, departments could alter their existing radios to meet the "narrowband" requirements by year's end. But he noted that the equipment is already so outdated that the upgrade would be needed soon after, anyway.

"It doesn't make sense," Gardner said, "because you're ultimately going to pay for it in double."

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
7 or 8 radios at $3,500 each??? gotta be kidding me....

bezking

Considering PD has all newer XTS2500s for the DTRS I'm surprised that the PD Ambulance Bureau needs additional funds to upgrade...

W2NJS

I was not aware that NC had finally, finally gotten off of lowband but from what I see now on the database they should have quite a pile of radios that will do 12.5 kHz, but they still seem to be split between UHF and VHF which might present an operational problem. The grant request should spell out in some detail how they intend to spend the $661K. Maybe one of our group could dig out this information locally.

I left East Rockaway in 1962, BTW, hence my interest.

bezking

Lowband huh? :lol: They've been on the UHF T-band since the 80s, they just recently ditched the last of their analog Saber IIs...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
That is just outrageous I'm sorry... What radios do they plan on purchasing that cost that much??? I don't even think a brand new XTS2500 cost that much, If I'm wrong some one please correct me... If the radios that they have can just be re-programmed why not just do that. Aren't the taxpayers taxed enough already?

bezking

If they are going to the APX series or Thales or Harris multiband radios I could see them costing that much per unit. But it's insane that they are blowing our tax money on radios they don't really need. It's no wonder the State of New York controls the county's finances...

Last edited:

bezking

Ben,

Does that mean that NCPD is no longer dispatching on 2500 kHz AM? (G)

Regards,
Tom, W2NJS
To be honest, Tom, with the way things are going in the county I guess we're just lucky they are using radios that support FM... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.