New York State Police NYC Troop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Why does the NYSP NYC Troop operate on a trunking system? Why not just their normal radio system which the rest of the state uses? Do they pay monthly fees for talkgroups and use of this system?

Also, does the NYC troop just have the 800 MHz radios in them or also the VHF set too? What does NYC Troop do? Normal patrols, traffic stop, ect around NYC area? Highways? Do they ever do traffic stops in the city?

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
NYSP owns the Metro 21 system on the Chrysler Building in NYC. Word has it that they are giving it to the MTA who is going to build it out for their own use. The state has just put a lot of money into upgrading all their VHF equipment, so I doubt they are going to leave VHF. I have never seen a Trooper do a traffic stop in NYC, most of what they do I think is administrative and investigative work. I do remember some years back when they did a bust on a gun runner in lower Westchester County they were carrying the MRK 800 radios. Why they don't use VHF in NYC? Could be since they don't do normal patrol type of things and they don't need it.

KC2zZe

Who says they don't use VHF in New York City? Proportionally, I've heard more SP radio traffic within New York City over F2 / car-to-car (154.665, 110.9) then I've ever heard over the Metro21 system.

Last edited:

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Word has it that they are giving it to the MTA who is going to build it out for their own use. .

Seems to be true. I submitted this last month and it's in the db:

Staten Island Railroad Police (MTA) are now on the Metro 21 system; tg 07-001.

Status
Not open for further replies.