NYC vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks, I'm heading to NYC for a trip and wanted some advice on what I should program into my 396 (regarding PD/EMS/FD).

I remember last time I went to NYC, I programmed basically everything into it and the scanner was non-stop. I do know that the PD freqs are very busy, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Depends on where you're gonna be. If you're just going to be in NYC (Manhattan to me), then I'd suggest...

-FDNY Manhattan UHF Dispatch
-FDNY Citywide 1 UHF Dispatch
-FDNY Citywide 2 UHF Dispatch
-FDNY Fireground 16 (Emergency/Mayday Channel)
-NYPD Pct. where you're staying...
-NYPD Citywide 1
-NYPD Citywide 2
-NYPD Spec Ops (SOD)
-Citywide One (461.225 PL167.9) (A Fire/Police Buff Channel)
-Citywide Radio (453.000 PL167.9) (A Fire/Police Buff Channel)

Others can recommend EMS. Never listen to them personally...

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Great thanks.

So I will be fine with just programming the FDNY UHF dispatch frequencies and not the VHF channels? Are they assigned to a fireground channel once on a call or do they stay on the dispatch channel when they're on scene?

Also, the area I am staying in is 18 & 14th precincts (Times Square). Can't seem to find their precinct freqs in the database....

Last edited:

4-crime

Great thanks.

So I will be fine with just programming the FDNY UHF dispatch frequencies and not the VHF channels? Are they assigned to a fireground channel once on a call or do they stay on the dispatch channel when they're on scene?

Also, the area I am staying in is 18 & 14th precincts (Times Square). Can't seem to find their precinct freqs in the database....

Yes, the UHF frequencies will work fine for FDNY. They use a simplex talk around channel for fireground operations. The chauffeur of the truck stays on the dispatch channel and relays any info from the firefighters on the scene to the dispatcher.

The 18th precinct is known as the Midtown North precinct. The 14th is known as the Midtown South precinct. Midtown North, Midtown South and the 17th precinct are on the same frequency.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Along with the data here at Radio Reference, make sure you stop over to www.n2nov.net for a lot of resources re: nyc monitoring.

emcomm

In regard to "-Citywide Radio (453.000 PL167.9) (A Fire/Police Buff Channel)"

What can you hear here?

I am familiar with Citywide One DS, but not this channel: -Citywide Radio (453.000...)

thanks.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
In regard to "-Citywide Radio (453.000 PL167.9) (A Fire/Police Buff Channel)"

What can you hear here?

I am familiar with Citywide One DS, but not this channel: -Citywide Radio (453.000...)

thanks.

I've heard different stories about it, but apparently it was someone who had a falling out with Citywide Radio or something. IDK. Ocassionally it comes to life with similar traffic to CitywideOne Disaster Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.