Oneida County info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looking at their three FCC licenses (WNGZ915, WQFU357 and WQPR464), it looks like they're using MOTOTRBO. Have a look at the licenses, plug in the frequencies, and see what you come up with.

jimboyle

I literally have a screw loose !
Thanks, I'm not there. My nephew goes there and wanted a scanner that would pick up the local fire police and campus radio traffic. But MOTOTRBO is a no go for that plan. Thanks, Jim

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While a current scanner could not decode MOTOTRBO, you could put in a discriminator tap on an older scanner and use DSD to do it (just click on the blue text for the wiki article) . Not pretty but it could work...Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Jim,

Here are the frequencies they have licensed, most of them TRBO, a few FM narrow. Might be worth him plugging them into a scanner and seeing if he can hear anything.

151.5275 - 7K60FXE - FB2
151.5650 - 7K60FXE - MO
151.7450 - 7K60FXE - MO
151.8350 - 7K60FXE - FB2/MO
154.5400 - 7K60FXE - MO
154.6250 - 11K2F3E - FB
159.6225 - 7K60FXE - FX1/MO
159.6300 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.6900 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.7500 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.9450 - 11K2F3E - MO
160.0500 - 7K60FXE - MO
160.1025 - 7K60FXE - MO
160.1100 - 11K2F3E - FB/MO
160.2000 - 11K2F3E - MO
464.8750 - 7K60FXE - FB/MO

c0untyb0y

Thanks, I'm not there. My nephew goes there and wanted a scanner that would pick up the local fire police and campus radio traffic. But MOTOTRBO is a no go for that plan. Thanks, Jim

College channels aside, Clinton Fire (154.340 MHz) covers the college and campus safety communicates with the fire department on that channel whenever there is an automatic fire alarm. Kirkland PD (154.815 MHz) also covers the town & village. The rest of the county public safety outside of Rome City are VHF analog so there is still plenty to hear in Oneida County.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Not to mention that from a public safety stand point, the college would probably say no to the scanner, and say that it could be used for monitoring the campus safety channels, and possibly illegal activities. If he/she has a roommate, and someone leaves the door unlocked, its up for grabs.

c0untyb0y

Not to mention that from a public safety stand point, the college would probably say no to the scanner, and say that it could be used for monitoring the campus safety channels, and possibly illegal activities. If he/she has a roommate, and someone leaves the door unlocked, its up for grabs.

I had a scanner when I went to college. It did annoy my roommate so I had to turn it off (to keep the peace) but I was never hassled by campus safety about it nor was I ever worried if it fell into the wrong hands. And if it did, what could happen? Bad guys now know when campus safety has their coffee breaks? Plus, mind you, Internet scanners are available and the college kids can get that on their smartphone. What if their phone gets stolen???

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

It's unlikely they would even know what a scanner is, much less care if some kid had one in his dorm room. Many campuses house students who volunteer with the campus or local area EMS squad or fire dept, and they all have pagers and/or scanners. Show me a clear example of where any university or college has a specific "no police/radio scanners" policy, then maybe your post has some merit.

I had a scanner when I went to college. It did annoy my roommate so I had to turn it off (to keep the peace) but I was never hassled by campus safety about it nor was I ever worried if it fell into the wrong hands. And if it did, what could happen? Bad guys now know when campus safety has their coffee breaks? Plus, mind you, Internet scanners are available and the college kids can get that on their smartphone. What if their phone gets stolen???

^ What he said.

jimboyle

I literally have a screw loose !
The kid is curious about radios, and likes to listen to mine (Scanners & Han Radio) when he comes to visit NC. I was thinking of sending him back with a cheap used scanner off e-bay. It probably won't work out, his primary interest is monitoring the campus security to hear what's going on and who is getting in trouble for what. It makes for good gossip. I thank all involved for their input and time taken to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.