Orange County 911 was down again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

Although, aren't they going to be phasing out NYCOMCO when they phase in their own county system over the next 5-10 years? Or was that just what was advised during the audit?

I wish there was a solution which could be employed quickly. Two major outages in just a few months? C'mon OC and NYCOMCO...

sc800

Actually, I think it is more than two outages. Over the summer they had two or three in that one week.

Anyway, it should get a lot better once everyone is on ONE radio system (like it should be) not the mess they have now where police are split over two (High Band and 800) and fire over four (Low Band, High Band, UHF 400, 800).

Anyway, my personal solution would be to disband OC911 and let towns answer their own 911 or form consolidated dispatch centers among themselves, but that will never happen

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
My question is, why isn't there redundancy built in?

There is a big issue if a single card can bring the whole system down with no redundancy.

sc800

I agree it is a big issue.

Maybe e911god or someone else more knowledgeable then me will be along to explain it better, but from my understanding OC911 didn't even have a microwave backbone until fairly recently

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
That whole "single point of failure" thing is one thing that we in the broadcasting world work to make sure we don't have. I would certainly hope that any agency which is out there to save lives (Police, Fire, EMS) don't rely on a system with such a fail point, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.