NYC: having trouble trunking with a BC780xlt

Status
Not open for further replies.

loss1234

Premium Subscriber
I got a bc780xlt a few days ago. I put in the frequencies for MTA (motorola), metro 21 (edacs) and Port Authority(edacs) and Jetblue (ltr)

the odd thing is....when I hit Scan in these banks, i will see

EDCS ID: -------
List: 09 NO 01.

BUT...I dont hear any sound.

I have tried all squelch settings and tried changing from NFM to WFM etc.

I am wondering if this is due to the scanner being so old? (although I thought rebranding only effected Motorola)

I know nothing about trunking so this is my first shot.

thanks for any help

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding also affects EDACS systems, but differently - all you need to do is reprogram with the frequencies in the correct LCN order.

The LCN is usually shown as a small 2 digit number to the left of the frequency in the database. Depending on the system you're trying to trunk, there might be empty slots - program them EXACTLY as shown

It would help diagnose the issue if you would tell us what system you're trying to program...

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It would help diagnose the issue if you would tell us what system you're trying to program...

I put in the frequencies for MTA (motorola), metro 21 (edacs) and Port Authority(edacs) and Jetblue (ltr)

He already listed the systems he's trying to track.

loss, make sure you're programming each system into its own bank. For the EDACS and LTR systems, make sure the LCN # in the database matches up with the channel # in each bank. For the JFK system, that means skipping some channels and leaving them blank, filling in 01, 05, 09, 13 and 17.

The MTA system should be programmed as Type II 900, both the Port Authority and Metro21 systems should be programmed as EDCS WIDE, and the JFK system as LT. You must set each bank up for the correct type of trunked system before it will properly track them. If you program the frequencies in without doing so, you'll be scanning them in conventional mode, which won't do you any good. Squelch should be set at about halfway for best results.

Since you're not tracking an 800 MHz Motorola system, rebanding does not come into play here.

It's been a while since I've programmed a 780XLT, but all the info on how to do it is in the manual starting on page 37 (which is page 45 of the PDF file)

http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BC780XLTom.pdf

loss1234

Premium Subscriber
this was the problem with the JFK system

"For the JFK system, that means skipping some channels and leaving them blank, filling in 01, 05, 09, 13 and 17."

and with the port authority system, the problem was I was trying to put all three sites (wtc, JFK and simulcast) into the same bank.

MY QUESTION NOW IS....is it possible to get ONE BANK to scan all three port authority sites??
or should I put each one in a separate bank and just turn it off and on when i search?

So far I think I have now gotten everything to work which surprises me with such an old scanner.

THANKS!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Each system must be in its own bank. If you plan on monitoring all three PA sites, you'll need three banks. Remember, the LCN for EDACS systems must match the scanner's channel #. All three PA sites use LCN 01, 02 and 03, with different frequencies, so it would be physically impossible to put them all in a single bank.

loss1234

Premium Subscriber
thanks!

its pretty cool to "find" all of these new sites....i have been using a pro-2006 for about 2 months now here in queens and though there is TONS of non-trunked stuff to listen to, it is always cool to find even more to hear.

i appreciate all the help!

loss1234

Premium Subscriber
Port Authority Issues

from my location in Queens, (where I can pick up JFK ground and air without issue)
I thought I would be able to at east pick up the Port Authority JFK system.

so I set aside a bank JUST for the PA JFK site

i programmed in these frequencies (using EDACS WIDE)

site JFK Airport New York 01 852.08750 02 852.62500 03 853.33750

but when I hit search, nothing happens.

SO....is this a sign that I am too far from the towers to receive the trunking communications?
or could i STILL have something set up incorrectly? I was under the impression that with the BC780xlt, all i had to do was program in the frequencies and hit trunk scan.

it is just stuck on SCANNING like it has not found the control channel.

the main PORT AUTHORITY bank (in EDACS wide): site one DOES work.

just not sites two and three.

thanks for any help

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's possible those other two sites aren't even on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.