FDNY VHF Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So the word for quite a while now has been "by the end of 2012" for the VHF channels to be shut down once and for all. I understand the hold-up was hardware in certain apparatus. But is there actually a definitive day?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything from the official channels. We do have some VHF radios still in use.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
I'd bet it will be around for a while. Our rig still has a VHF in it and I know of others. With everything going on after Sandy, replacing the remaining VHF radios doesn't seem to be high on the list of things to do.

mlmummert

I'd bet it will be around for a while. Our rig still has a VHF in it and I know of others. With everything going on after Sandy, replacing the remaining VHF radios doesn't seem to be high on the list of things to do.

What does the FCC have to say about that?

cackis

Premium Subscriber
You'd have to ask the FCC. I know they applied for a waiver but that stuff is way above my pay grade. Based on what I see in the field, there is no way they could shut down the vhf at the end of the year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
As long as the FCC Licenses remain valid they can continue to use the frequencies?

As long as they have a waiver, if no waiver then the FCC could fine them for not being narrowband compliant

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

Understandably. Thanks for the update gents. Much appreciated.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why do you need the PL tones for the repeater inputs? NYC is the only entity in the entire country licensed on those particular T-Band frequencies, so there's no reason they can't be monitored in CSQ mode. If you want to find them out that badly, put your scanner in tone search mode.

gtaman

Why do you need the PL tones for the repeater inputs? NYC is the only entity in the entire country licensed on those particular T-Band frequencies, so there's no reason they can't be monitored in CSQ mode. If you want to find them out that badly, put your scanner in tone search mode.

He could be like me who moniters with a regular moto radio and wants the pl and dpl mute on the channel so he doesn't have to hear a loud static tail. Just my input.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Those PL's are listed the OP was wanting the input PL's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Aren't they usually the same. Same input pl as output.

Sometimes they are but some agencies or users use different input and output PL's or DPL's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W2NJS

Having a PL input tone that's different from the repeater's output tone is a good way to keep unauthorized persons from kerchunking or otherwise interfering with the system's operation. My local VFD down in Virginia does it and the only way I found the input tone was to scan the input during a fire with my VX-5R, so it can be done if you know how and have the right radio that searches and shows PL frequencies when heard.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
it can be done if you know how and have the right radio that searches and shows PL frequencies when heard.

Any modern scanner that has PL/DPL capability will also search for PL/DPL tones, and will display them within a fraction of a second. If someone really wants to know what they are, they don't have to go to any great lengths to figure them out.

Let's also keep in mind that these FDNY UHF inputs are relatively low power, and the input is rebroadcast over the output 99% of the time. There is very little need to monitor the input directly, except to listen to a "mixer off message", which would require you to be fairly close to the transmitting unit anyway. I get the whole "eliminate the squelch tail" point, but for the very infrequent amount of time you'd actually be listening to the input, it's by and large a moot point. ;)

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Oh and for the record, before someone suggests it...there is no grand conspiracy to omit the input PL's from the database. No one has submitted them, so we left them blank...simple as that.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Oh and for the record, before someone suggests it...there is no grand conspiracy to omit the input PL's from the database. No one has submitted them, so we left them blank...simple as that.

Actually, there is no way to add them to the database; there's no "Input PL" field for them.

The Wiki, on the other hand. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.