P25 on GMRS 462.550 near Albany?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing P25 activity, NAC 297, on the GMRS channel 462.550 in the Albany area. At first it sounded like a law enforcement talk, based on discussions of vehicles (e.g. The Audi was going fast, get that one)...but then I also heard comms such as drop off the visitor sign in forms at the business center. That sounds more like a facility. I'm thinking maybe a security operations, perhaps a college or school campus?

I heard one 900 series call sign, being requested to return to base.

The signal is weak and sometimes I get poor decode, so it's not close. I did hear one reference to a road by route number...I didn't write it down, but I didn't recongize it at all...so I'm thinking this could be Mass or VT.

I checked the FCC for a grandfathered license and nothing found. (Although I doubt they could legally run P25 anyway, as that would have required a license mod and I think grandfathering only allows renewals).

Anyone else hearing this? I don't *think* this is the "Albany County Assistance" group.

Last edited:

KB1UAM

I couldn't find anything at all except for 2 expired licenses in NYC. Doubt it was that. Could it possibly be a bleed over? Are their any schools in your area that use digital? Just a thought?

ecps92

P25 is not legal on GMRS

As for the FCC, other than Grandfathered licenses, you won't find them by Frequency anymore as a GMRS licenses gives you all Frequencies now.

What make/model Scanner ?

Could it be an image ??
$297 is the NAC for [in your back yard]
a.) VHF VA Hosp Maint 164.0625
b.) UHF/380 Watervliet Arsenal 380.7500 and 385.5250

I've been hearing P25 activity, NAC 297, on the GMRS channel 462.550 in the Albany area. At first it sounded like a law enforcement talk, based on discussions of vehicles (e.g. The Audi was going fast, get that one)...but then I also heard comms such as drop off the visitor sign in forms at the business center. That sounds more like a facility. I'm thinking maybe a security operations, perhaps a college or school campus?

I heard one 900 series call sign, being requested to return to base.

The signal is weak and sometimes I get poor decode, so it's not close. I did hear one reference to a road by route number...I didn't write it down, but I didn't recongize it at all...so I'm thinking this could be Mass or VT.

I checked the FCC for a grandfathered license and nothing found. (Although I doubt they could legally run P25 anyway, as that would have required a license mod and I think grandfathering only allows renewals).

Anyone else hearing this? I don't *think* this is the "Albany County Assistance" group.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I have heard this repeater too on 462.550. Thunderknight's observations are same as mine. Troy area for me, but have heard it in Schenectady, Latham, etc too. I would add that i hear activity sometimes in evenings, and always before wx storm (before Sandy, snowstorms, etc). I am using old school Pro-2005 with discone on roof in Troy, so nothing high tech here.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have heard this repeater too on 462.550. Thunderknight's observations are same as mine. Troy area for me, but have heard it in Schenectady, Latham, etc too. I would add that i hear activity sometimes in evenings, and always before wx storm (before Sandy, snowstorms, etc). I am using old school Pro-2005 with discone on roof in Troy, so nothing high tech here.

This couldn't be the same one, if you are using a Pro-2005 since that is analog only. What I am hearing is P25 digital.
What you are hearing is probably the Albany County Assistance (I think that is what they call themselves). They are analog. I think those are the ones who broadcast weather alerts, refer to dispatcher numbers, etc.

ecps92 said:
Could it be an image ??
$297 is the NAC for [in your back yard]
a.) VHF VA Hosp Maint 164.0625
b.) UHF/380 Watervliet Arsenal 380.7500 and 385.5250
I'll check those with a second scanner and see what happens. I doubt it's maint based on the comms, but Arsenal security is a possibility.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Even though the pro 2005 is analog only you can still tell whether if the transmission coming across are digital or not. P25 makes a distinctive sound when monitoring in analog mode. He might not being hearing what it said but you can easily tell if its a digital signal.

D

DaveNF2G

The Arsenal has been known to splatter a lot of frequencies with recoverable P25 audio since the 380 meg system was installed.

I have permission (as Unit 914) to use the Albany County Assistance repeater and it is not P25 capable.

radar518

This is a illegal repeater sysem on the gmrs system. The repeater is located some where in albany. When called with my gmrs id, i was told i was not allowes to use it and they said it was pvt. I recommend other to listen in between 8am to 7pm thats when is seems to be the busiest. I was also told by the operator it was a public service, i however question that, and think its some half assed club of some sorts

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
This is a illegal repeater sysem on the gmrs system. The repeater is located some where in albany. When called with my gmrs id, i was told i was not allowes to use it and they said it was pvt. I recommend other to listen in between 8am to 7pm thats when is seems to be the busiest. I was also told by the operator it was a public service, i however question that, and think its some half assed club of some sorts

This is an old thread. A couple of questions:
Are you talking about the same frequency? (462.550)
Analog or P25?
If analog, what makes you think it’s illegal?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since this was a dead thread which was revived with information that has nothing to do with P25 on GMRS, I'm closing it. The OP can start a new thread if he wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.