Tuxedo Fire Dept. Mobile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
"Tuxedo Mobile 1" is the PD's fire radio. They can tone out the FD locally, in addition to Orange 911.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Maybe I'm just salty, but I really can't stand that they call a base "mobile" 1.

Then again, we call stations in Orange County "Portable" 1's too.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Maybe I'm just salty, but I really can't stand that they call a base "mobile" 1.

I wonder if there's some ancient history behind it, such as "back in 1952, the police chief had a low band fire radio in his cruiser, and they gave him the designator Tuxedo Mobile 1 to use" Who knows, but this is Orange County we're talking about here lol.

Then again, we call stations in Orange County "Portable" 1's too.

Case in point.

medic5872

Ever since I could remember the PD has always called it 911. Tuxedo PD will never let it dispatching go and they do the re-page, using the excuse that the two closers 911 towers don't set off pagers in every area in Tuxedo. ITS A LIE. They just don't want to go fully to 911. I was Captain of Tuxedo VAC for a while when Tuxedo PD dispatching went down...we had to go to 911 and it worked BEAUTIFUL!! It went off everywhere in Tuxedo, but politics prevented us from staying on. 911 won't pay to put another tower in closer to Tuxedo and they have always said they wouldn't put a tower in out of county (which made me laugh bc they recently put on in PA). But anywhoo yea it drives me nuts too!

sc800

and PA is not the only out of county NYCOMCO tower that OC911 uses...

Also I wonder if it is called mobile 1 because at one point it wasn't a base station radio, but rather a mobile radio mounted inside the station

firetrux745

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't aware that orange 911 had a tower in Pa. Can you elaborate on this? As far as I know their Graham site covered the western side of the county.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's on Heater Hill, which is right between Westfall and Matamoras, overlooking Matamoras and Port Jervis. It's actually a pretty nice site for covering areas Graham doesn't really cover well, including areas of Port. It's also nice for when they come into Eastern Pike for mutual aid.

The site has transmitters for: Fire Paging (154.205), Fire Ops (46.16), EMS Paging (157.450), EMS Ops (153.860), MRD (155.850) and 911 (159.135), so it's a full service site except for 45.78, which I believe is still Graham only.

WPKT567 (ORANGE, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Status
Not open for further replies.