When did NYC VACs lose their radio privilege on FDNY EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

I remember hearing them on FDNY EMS a while back but now it's seems that every VAC is given a MARS radio instead and are NOT allowed on FDNY EMS. When did this happen?

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
I remember hearing them on FDNY EMS a while back but now it's seems that every VAC is given a MARS radio instead and are NOT allowed on FDNY EMS. When did this happen?

This happened about 10 years ago as there was too much radio traffic to begin with. Every VAS has been on MARS for about the last 8 years.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
Haz-Tac

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
It was until about 6 years ago then they moved it to the DOITT system,there's more control over it there and other agencies from surrounding areas have access to it as well for a major MCI or event. This way no one can get onto the channel and screw around like on the VHF channel. The VHF is an MCI channel for NYS and other areas as well but FDNY/EMS has exclusive rights to this frequency on their system which makes less problems when the SHTF.

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
Just a bit of history. Yes NYS Dept of Health Bureau of EMS has assigned 155.715 as the statewide EMS mutual aid frequency. But when all of their FCC licenses ran out and they finally got around to renewing 715 was not among them.

Currently as far as I know the only statewide license holder for the frequency is the Division of State Police.

Due to poor frequency coordination, trying to use and monitor 715 in the Southern Adirondacks/Northern Capital District sucks because of the repeaters from Addison County Fire Dispatch and Windsor Mass are on the air constantly.

D

DaveNF2G

The statewide EMS plan radio was never followed completely, particularly in WNY. Some areas assigned their own uses to frequencies (155.715 was the operations frequency for the Greater Rochester International Airport) and their own DTMF codes to local hospitals. The plan also specified that there were to be no double tones (like 1-1). Monroe County assigned 2-7-7 to Saint Mary's Hospital so it would "fit in" with the rest of the area hospital codes (NYS assigned 9-8-9).

155.715 is still used in some areas for LZ operations, but the frequency agile radios in the LifeNet birds allow them to transmit almost anywhere, so .715 use is becoming rare (at least here in ENY).

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
155.715 is still used in some areas for LZ operations, but the frequency agile radios in the LifeNet birds allow them to transmit almost anywhere, so .715 use is becoming rare (at least here in ENY).

I was advised verbally several months ago that NYS DOH BEMS has quietly dropped .715 as an inter-agency or MCI channel. I received the information from someone who sits on the Adirondack-Appalachian Regional EMS Council so I have no reason to doubt the veracity of it. It's my understanding that the proliferation of the DHS interoperability and mutual aid frequencies outlined in the NIFOG document has basically replaced any previous statewide designated or envisioned frequencies, at least on the EMS front.

Here in Fulton County, LifeNet uses 155.325 for LZ operations.

I will try to track down something more concrete about this but it may take a couple of days to reach out to the right people.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Greene County still uses .715 for Bird ops...Saugerties Village PD still uses it for ops, although they have been absorbed by the town. Slowly some of the Mt top towns are programming the newer interops freqs in radios...

Danny37

Why would they drop 715 for interagency tac? The state police have their side and fire has their side so EMS should have their own as well. If an MCI that involved several counties was transmitted how would the surrounding counties be able to communicate among each?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Why would they drop 715 for interagency tac? The state police have their side and fire has their side so EMS should have their own as well. If an MCI that involved several counties was transmitted how would the surrounding counties be able to communicate among each?

There are a number of EMS tac channels plus general tac channels in the NIFOG. 155.715 becomes unnecessary with that plan.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Anybody have a list of statewide and nationwide wide tac frequencies used by pd, fd and EMS?

Google NIFOG and many of the links will point right at the PDF manual. Be sure to get version 1.4. There are VHF, UHF, 800 Mhz and more all listed there with PL codes and standard naming.

Status
Not open for further replies.