New York FD/PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I believe the NYPD has almost completely phased out the Motorola Saber for the Vertex VX-537 and FDNY uses the Motorola XTS5000 portables.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I believe the NYPD has almost completely phased out the Motorola Saber for the Vertex VX-537 and FDNY uses the Motorola XTS5000 portables.

NYPD still has some sabers kicking around as well as the sse5000. NYPD also used the VX-800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
NYPD still has some sabers kicking around as well as the sse5000. NYPD also used the VX-800. now Free

The Saber SSE5000 is an odd duck radio, one I have rarely seen in the wild. I know it was designed for ESU, but they seem to also use the Vertex radios. I wasn't aware of the VX-800 ... which for some reason reminds me of something you'd by at Radio Shack

ff026

Feed Provider
Investigative units and Executives (Captain and above) use VX-800's.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
FDNY Fire uses the XTS3500R for UHF Fireground
XTS5000 for trunking.

FDNY EMS uses the XTS5000 for everything.

lafd55

For some that don't know, the SSE5000 was the special NYPD only radio based on the Saber chassis. The only units I see still using a few are ESUs. You can easily Google the radio for pics. Also, FDNY uses a special order Speaker Mic from Motorola.

sc800

What are NYPD Auxiliary Police using now?

When I was in, I was told we were using old ESU radios that were ordered for the Republican National Convention in 2004. Are those the SSE?

CqDx

Last time I saw, Auxiliary had the SSE5000, and ESU had a mix of Vertex and APX7000.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I remember a few years ago when I went down to NYC for New Years, I saw a Female cop in uniform carrying a SSE5000 on her belt, I didn't look hat her shield or her collar pins so I don't know what division she was exactly from.

That SSE5000 is a sweet looking radio.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The Saber SSE5000 is an odd duck radio, one I have rarely seen in the wild. I know it was designed for ESU, but they seem to also use the Vertex radios. I wasn't aware of the VX-800 ... which for some reason reminds me of something you'd by at Radio Shack

I have a VX800 in VHF. Its not a bad radio.

lafd55

Transit I believe use APXs to switch between underground repeaters and surface communications. I don't think the Vertex Standard radios would hold up to the daily abuse, but I'm not NYPD so don't know how they are doing since they switched.

Also, I think PAPD uses Harris P7200 and NYSP NYC I think uses either the Harris Unity or the Motorola APX.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Transit I believe use APXs to switch between underground repeaters and surface communications. I don't think the Vertex Standard radios would hold up to the daily abuse, but I'm not NYPD so don't know how they are doing since they switched.

Also, I think PAPD uses Harris P7200 and NYSP NYC I think uses either the Harris Unity or the Motorola APX.

They seam to be holding up. The 537 series radios has a metal chassis, most of them are probably silver instead of black now from the paint wearing off.

The Vertex radios do hold up. Numerous fire depts in my county use them mainly the 180's and the 350's series.

You are correct on Transit. I have seen Transit cops with the APX portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.