NYSP new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I guess this puts a whole new meaning to "slick top" saw one like this yesterday going code 3 in Oneida County.

found the pics on 10-75.Net, courtesy of Eli Gill

Attachments

• DSC_3353.jpg
    DSC_3353.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 13,281
  • DSC_0743.jpg
    DSC_0743.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 14,471

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Oh wow, would you call them stealth marked? Or is that some new kind of low pro reflective marking?

lafd55

They are called Ghost Cars, they use black reflective graphics. Those are test cars, so they might not be used in the long run.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, would you call them stealth marked? Or is that some new kind of low pro reflective marking?
It's called "stealth graphics" and is becoming increasingly common in LE vehicles.

Do an internet search on stealth graphics and then select images. It's in use all over the country.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
They are called Ghost Cars, they use black reflective graphics. Those are test cars, so they might not be used in the long run.
We've got a Tahoe done up in black with the stealth graphics running out of the Mayfield station. Looks real sharp and unless you know what to look for, you don't realize it's an SP unit until he lights up.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Village of Wappingers has 1 or 2 cars that are done with the stealth graphics and its on a black car very hard to see at night unless your lights are shining right on it.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Does it actually have graphics or is it a CITE car?
It's got the graphics. He pulled me over when I was hauling my fifth wheeler to storage because the fresh water tank was drooling out a bit of water on the road. I had just winterized it and always leave the cap off until spring. No big deal and we had a nice chat. He recognized my truck from several ambulance calls we'd been on together anyway.

But yeah, real stealth graphics. He drove off too quickly for me to catch a pic.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
All the new patrol cars I have seen are the new dodge chargers in NYSP Blue. They also were not head quarters cars. Typically H cars are test cars ect

D

DaveNF2G

On a side note, various local police officers in agencies that have Dodge patrol vehicles tend to dislike them. Too small on the inside, and extremely cramped in the back seat (not that much sleep is lost over the comfort of prisoners, mind you).

lafd55

All the new patrol cars I have seen are the new dodge chargers in NYSP Blue. They also were not head quarters cars. Typically H cars are test cars ect
Sure they aren't an H car, as I believe they went with and just ordered a lot of Ford Police Interceptors and G has a few with plates.

Also on a side note, It's not the Ford Taurus, it's the Ford Police Interceptor and Police Interceptor Utility, Just FYI.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
On a side note, various local police officers in agencies that have Dodge patrol vehicles tend to dislike them. Too small on the inside, and extremely cramped in the back seat (not that much sleep is lost over the comfort of prisoners, mind you).

I like them- they have excellent road handling under stress conditions, far far better than the CVPI. That being said, I quite like driving the Ford PI, and I've never had the opportunity to drive a Caprice PPV.

I think a lot of people who find them short on room are rather large on room themselves...

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Sure they aren't an H car, as I believe they went with and just ordered a lot of Ford Police Interceptors and G has a few with plates.

Also on a side note, It's not the Ford Taurus, it's the Ford Police Interceptor and Police Interceptor Utility, Just FYI.

It's still a Taurus and a Explorer . The only difference is an oil cooler, beefed up suspension, heavy duty alternator, etc. It is the same exact engine as in the Taurus SHO and the Explorer Sport. One complaint I hear a lot is you can't see out the rear window of the Taurus due to the raised rear end.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The ghost lettering is to meet the letter of the law that states NYSP cars must be marked if used for any traffic enforcement. George Pataki signed that law the first year he was elected Gov in I believe 1995. I guess the powers to be are looking for any way to increase revenue, and I know from talking to the Troopers in my area they hate the slick tops, it forces them to stop every car that passes them. They are going to like these even less.
Nice looking cars none the less, so much so I bought one in dark blue.

Last edited:

lafd55

The ghost lettering is to meet the letter of the law that states NYSP cars must be marked if used for any traffic enforcement. George Pataki signed that law the first year he was elected Gov in I believe 1995. I guess the powers to be are looking for any way to increase revenue, and I know from talking to the Troopers in my area they hate the slick tops, it forces them to stop every car that passes them. They are going to like these even less.
Nice looking cars none the less, so much so I bought one in dark blue.
Old information..... Haven't you heard of the CITE cars, they have been plastered all over the news. CITE cars are fully unmarked. Also, why are they forced to stop every car while in a slicktop? Sounds like someone is on a rant and doesn't know what is actually going on out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.