HP-2 P25 Phase I & II Genesee County, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, my apologies if this is the wrong forumb to use for my issue.

I recently purchased an HP-II in order to be able to receive P25 Phase I and II transmissions for Genesee County, NY law enforcement, etc. I am unable to find the TGIDs for said agencies. I find the Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans Counties Public Safety units, but there are no TGIDs for Genesee County. Are there any or does anyone know them?

RF-Burns

The idiot Sheriff Gary Maha has refused to release any talk group information.
Your best bet is to monitor the system and copy down the talk group as you receive them. There is a business or two in the county that have a pretty good list going of talk groups that they have saved from endless hours upon hours of listening, but unless you bought the scanner through them they aren't releasing what they have logged and decoded. I guess I can't blame them, they have run local radio shops for 30 plus years in Genesee County. They are taking care of their customers not Scanner Masters or Amazons.

I recently purchased an HP-II in order to be able to receive P25 Phase I and II transmissions for Genesee County, NY law enforcement, etc. I am unable to find the TGIDs for said agencies. I find the Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans Counties Public Safety units, but there are no TGIDs for Genesee County. Are there any or does anyone know them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I figured it had to be something like that. It's too bad that the bad guys are running around with $600 scanners so that agencies have to hide their frequency lists from those of us law abiding citizens who simply enjoy listening.

I guess short of getting the Extreme Upgrade, which may not be a bad idea (albeit a lot of what it does is over my head), I will have to be satisfied with not being able to listen to Genesee County. Boo...hiss.

VE3RADIO

You can run unitrunker to gather a list, then you will need to listen to them to figure it out.. I would suggest recording for a day or two with the home patrol and then listening to the recordings.. that will be the best way.

I can hear that system across the lake in the GTA.

Billmak

Premium Subscriber
TGID

TGID genesee county, I believe 10023 is a Leroy PD. Seems like 65xxx are some kind of fire or mercy medic, they are sure hard to identify. The most active seems to be 10003 in my area, ambulance? I have come up with 35 groups. Like said, identifying each one is tedious, but interesting, I reckon. Fairly new to scanning, so forgive me if I sound confused

D

DaveNF2G

Check the Wiki for the agencies and unit numbering used in the county. That will help you to figure out who is who.

nozlnts

Premium Subscriber
New Scanner

Hi I got the BCD536HP Scanner with the Sentinel software about 2 months ago and I can not for the life of me get anything from the new system. Is there a place that I can get it set up for me and have someone break it down Barney style? I have not been able to get the TGID's or anything. I spent big bucks on a big paperweight so far because I can pick things up better on my phone that anything else.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Please submit to the RR DB

TGID genesee county, I believe 10023 is a Leroy PD. Seems like 65xxx are some kind of fire or mercy medic, they are sure hard to identify. The most active seems to be 10003 in my area, ambulance? I have come up with 35 groups. Like said, identifying each one is tedious, but interesting, I reckon. Fairly new to scanning, so forgive me if I sound confused

If you've figured out what those talk groups are, please submit them for inclusion in the RR DB. (Click on the "Submit Info" button at the top of the website.)

Thanks!

D

DaveNF2G

Hi I got the BCD536HP Scanner with the Sentinel software about 2 months ago and I can not for the life of me get anything from the new system. Is there a place that I can get it set up for me and have someone break it down Barney style? I have not been able to get the TGID's or anything. I spent big bucks on a big paperweight so far because I can pick things up better on my phone that anything else.

Did you get the *HP or the *HP2 version? The HP2 line is required for monitoring of this system.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Phase 2

Did you get the *HP or the *HP2 version? The HP2 line is required for monitoring of this system.

Huh? There's no such thing as a BCD536HP2, if that's what you meant. The BCD436HP and BCD536HP are Phase 2 capable.

If you're talking about the [original] "Home Patrol", then yes, the HP-1 is only Phase 1 but the HP-2 can do Phase 2.

Last edited:

nozlnts

Premium Subscriber
It is the BCD536HP and I bought it so it would be able to hear everything. Am I just going to have to pay for a subscription on here and get the ARC536PRO software to resolve this? I live a couple streets down from yesterday's painting the car in gasoline deal and it would of been nice to be able to know whats going on especially if there is an unknown gun type of situation so close. Luckily my kids were in school. I wish there was some kind of place where I could just bring it in so they can program it for what I want and teach me how to use it properly. Then again if the BCDx36HP_Sentinel software was more user friendly then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

D

DaveNF2G

Huh? There's no such thing as a BCD536HP2, if that's what you meant. The BCD436HP and BCD536HP are Phase 2 capable.

If you're talking about the [original] "Home Patrol", then yes, the HP-1 is only Phase 1 but the HP-2 can do Phase 2.

Oops. My goof. I was thinking about the 396/996 family that does have P2 variants.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It is the BCD536HP and I bought it so it would be able to hear everything. Am I just going to have to pay for a subscription on here and get the ARC536PRO software to resolve this? I live a couple streets down from yesterday's painting the car in gasoline deal and it would of been nice to be able to know whats going on especially if there is an unknown gun type of situation so close. Luckily my kids were in school. I wish there was some kind of place where I could just bring it in so they can program it for what I want and teach me how to use it properly. Then again if the BCDx36HP_Sentinel software was more user friendly then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

It doesn't appear to have your system in the database other than the control frequencies so you're kind of out of luck there nozl.

It looks like you'll have to program those frequencies manually. It's not a guarantee but that's the only thing I can come up with. I don't live there so I'm not sure what I'm missing or what else to do for you.

The sentinel software is rather easy to use if you take the time. Have you done this? You could try adding the Monroe/Ontario system and see what you get.

I also seem to remember people saying that there were still issues with that system, Genesee specifically but I could be wrong on that. Have you searched the forums for any of that info?

radiomanNJ1

I guess some of you have not figured out how RR works. It is not the Sheriff or Chief who supplies the information on the system(s). It is the work of those of us who listen and report. Sharing of the information is the key. A premium membership is not required but its nice to support the operation and get some extra benefit(s).
Share what you learn. If some of you think this Sheriff is so bad do you think he would run the operation in the open? Encryption has become the norm.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Wow

I guess some of you have not figured out how RR works.

I think that's a very safe guess. If I'm brand new to the hobby, or at least brand new to the modern scanning era where everything is digital and we all use computers and this magic "database" to program them, how am I supposed to know this? Where on the RR site does it say, "and all these frequencies were provided by people just like you"? Hey, I just shelled out $400+ bucks for this scanner and it comes with this "official" database, right?

And we all know that's not the case anyways; there are plenty of times when someone with "inside information" submits DB updates.

But I have been encouraging some of the contributors to this thread to start submitting DB updates for the Genesee P25 system. Hopefully they will do so. I'd be happy to do it myself, but I cannot pick up the system from where I'm at, try as I might.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Missing from Sentinal

It doesn't appear to have your system in the database other than the control frequencies so you're kind of out of luck there nozl.

The sentinel software is rather easy to use if you take the time.

Interestingly enough, I think this is an edge case that is not handled well by the program that parses the RR DB and builds the one for Sentinel. If I go into ARC500, or Freescan and use the "import from RR DB" functionality, it will pull in this system just fine; the only thing that's missing is the TGIDs, so I just need to add a wildcard (ARC500) or set the system to "ID SEARCH" (rather than ID SCAN) and it works just fine.

If I browse the Sentinel DB, this system doesn't even appear at all.

Of course the BEST solution would be to get some of those TGIDs in the database, but I think this should be handled better.

Last edited:

RF-Burns

I guess some of you have not figured out how RR works. It is not the Sheriff or Chief who supplies the information on the system(s). It is the work of those of us who listen and report. Sharing of the information is the key. A premium membership is not required but its nice to support the operation and get some extra benefit(s).
Share what you learn. If some of you think this Sheriff is so bad do you think he would run the operation in the open? Encryption has become the norm.

Maybe in the backwards State of New Jersey encryption is the norm but that is not the case in NYS and certainly not the case in Western, NY.

This system is very complex, I've spent days, weeks, and months gathering the information I have on this system. I have over 80 talkgroups logged and programmed into my radios. One reason I don't just give it away is because why should I? Just in the spirit of the site? That's not a good reason to me, I do the hard work so no one else has to? The 2nd reason is of the 80 plus talkgroups I have 23 of them are dispatch talkgroups and I can't figure out for the life of me why they would have over 20 dispatch talkgroups when their isn't even 20 departments in the hole damn county. 3rd they have changed talkgroup assignments so many times since the system went live it's like tracking a loose dog in heat.

There is something very weird about this system with its programming and until I am able to get the software to read our radios I'm keeping my info to myself. I think there is a lot more to the programming of this particular system than people know because there absolutely zero reason to have over 20 dispatch talkgroups all that follow numerical order but all totally out of alignment with every other Talkgroup on the system.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Motoman, Harris systems have a different way of assigning patches than Motorola. On Harris systems it's common to see many talk groups from a pool used for patches...the system assigns one each time a patch is made. So if they patch dispatch to a second TG for that call, it may be different ID each time.

I know this was an issue with some scanners, but I'm not sure the details. You didn't say which you had, but make sure the firmware is updated.

See this thread/post for more info: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/311780-p25-patch-following.html#post2376057

Status
Not open for further replies.