Westchester County Sheriff Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

Occasionally I have seen Westchester County Sheriff Vehicles. The color scheme and markings are identical to the WCPD cars, except instead of saying "POLICE" on the side of the car, they say "SHERIFF". Are they dispatched by the WCPD dispatchers ??? Do they use the 2 WCPD repeater frequencies ??? What are their designations---Are they the cars referred to as "SA" ??? Always wondered about them.

RON.....ka2iia

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I can give you a little history on the Sheriffs of Westchester County. First I do believe they are SA or civil units you hear on 155.310. Anyway they aren't really a Sheriff in the old term sense. They got demoted in 1980 in a political coup that took the Sheriff from an actual Law Enforcement to a Civil agency with an elected position to an appointed one. Very dirty politics went on during that time to create the Westchester County Police from the Westchester County PARKWAY Police.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I can give you a little history on the Sheriffs of Westchester County. First I do believe they are SA or civil units you hear on 155.310. Anyway they aren't really a Sheriff in the old term sense. They got demoted in 1980 in a political coup that took the Sheriff from an actual Law Enforcement to a Civil agency with an elected position to an appointed one. Very dirty politics went on during that time to create the Westchester County Police from the Westchester County PARKWAY Police.

What happened to the Emergency Force? I remember a lawyer I knew was a member of the Sheriff Emergency Force, and they used to help out at the checkpoints on the parkways

Archie

radioman2001

Wasn't there a public referendum creating the merger of the Sheriff's and County PD ??? DelBello was County Executive and Delaney was the Sheriff or was it Carl Fulgenzi who's son is now the Mount Pleasant town supervisor?? Also, can I PM you please ?? Have an unrelated local radio question from way back for you.

Many Thanks

radioman2001

There was no county PD it was the Westchester County Parkway Authority police that changed to Westchester County Police. SEF got downgraded to a Aux Police by the DA Pierro (no bargain of a DA BTW) back in 1990. Apparently the PBA got her to do that since they supported her in her election bid, and were losing OT shifts for those parkway bike ride details as well as fireworks and others.
I don't remember any referendum, all I remember was an elected position became a political appointment and a Parkway Authority became a Police agency. What should have happened was the Sheriff's department should have taken over the Parkway Police. A lot of people in both the Sheriff's office and Parkway PD made a lot of more money either by retiring or in the new positions created. Something that was reported in the local papers. Sheriff Delaney appointed me to the SEF in 1980, and I left shortly afterward because of all the issues.

Quote" Carl Fulgenzi who's son is now the Mount Pleasant town supervisor.

As I remember it Carl Fulgenzi was the son of the Parkway Police Chief, and I think it was way before Delbello . I could be wrong that was nearly 40 years ago. I went to HS with Carl.

Archie you can e-mail me through RR, send me a request and I will approve it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Don't get me started on Jeanine. I was working Westchester County Court during the Guglielmo trial. I'll keep the rest to myself. Thanks for the info!

enwhypeedee

Lots of false information in this thread. Here are all the questions to everyone's questions.

Until 1979, there were two countywide agencies: Westchester County Parkway Police and the Westchester County Sheriff's Department. The two agencies merged in 1979 creating the Westchester County Police Department (Official name is Westchester County Department of Public Safety).

There is no sheriff's department in Westchester. The Public Safety Emergency Force, also known as PSEF, are auxiliary peace officers who drive in the cars you see that say SHERIFF on the side. They are not paid and do zero law enforcement with the exception of directing traffic at large events at the request of towns/villages/cities throughout Westchester County. You won't hear PSEF on the radio with the exception of them driving to a detail or upon completion of a detail. They don't perform any law enforcement functions whatsoever and if they did, it would probably raise an issue with the County Police PBA.

The Commissioner of Public Safety in Westchester is also the defecto Sheriff.

The ranks of WCPD are as follows:

Commissioner
Deputy Commissioner
Chief Inspector
Inspector
Captain
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Police Officer / Detective

Only two people employed by County PD hold the title of Deputy Sheriff and they are both retired NYPD Detectives who work in the Forensic Investigations Unit as Ballistic Technicians. This is done to grant them peace officer status as they aren't eligible to be appointed as police officers unless they are hired off the county civil service list or an approved resignation reinstatement which NYC Police Officers aren't eligible to do.

"SA" cars are Special Assignment cars that aren't a normal post on the roll call everyday. They can range from anything from a Speed Enforcement Detail to DWI Patrols.

Everyone in the Civil Unit is a Westchester County Police Officer. Their callsign is Civil and then a preassigned number such as Civil Unit 7. When they go in service, you'll typically hear them raise headquarters and inform them "Civil Unit XX inservice, vehicle 16XX, en-route to....:

radioman2001

My statement still stands, that an elected position Sheriff was removed and changed to an appointed one Commissioner. Serving at the whim of the County Executive instead of elected by the people of Westchester whether defecto or not. Delaney got a sizable retirement package he would have not gotten by going along with this. There was no reason to remove that position as the agency could have been called Westchester County Sheriff's Department like all the others in New York State with the elected position of Sheriff remaining.

wac1

Westchester county sheriff

The Westchester County Sheriffs are NOT Auxiliaries but Reserves who assist the WCPD but usually work independently without police supervision. The Auxiliary Police come under The Civil Defense Act of 1950. PSEF does not.

Members of the PSEF are appointed as Part time Deputy Sheriffs by Commissioner-Sheriff and have full Police powers on duty pursuant to Subdivision 57a of Section 2.10 of the New York State Criminal procedure Law

They Render assistance to local municipalities throughout the County. The PSEF also worked a number of special assignments, including several DWI check-points. Emergency Force members are required to complete rigorous, state and county certified training programs. Each member receives over 140 hours of in-service training in such areas as firearms proficiency, Penal Law Article 35, use of shotgun, Vehicle & Traffic Law, traffic control, vehicle stops, emergency vehicle operation, dignitary protection, in-service road patrol
training and terrorism indicators and reporting. They have to re-qualify firearms yearly.

AREAS OF TRAINING INCLUDE:

Penal Law / Criminal Procedure Law
Search & Seizure
Arrest / Detention
Article 35
Defensive Tactics
Expandable Baton / OC Spray
Firearms
Traffic & Crowd Control
Vehicle & Traffic Law
Vehicle Stops
Emergency Vehicle Operations
Dignitary Protection
Explosive Devices

enwhypeedee

The Westchester County Sheriffs are NOT Auxiliaries but Reserves who assist the WCPD but usually work independently without police supervision. The Auxiliary Police come under The Civil Defense Act of 1950. PSEF does not.

Members of the PSEF are appointed as Part time Deputy Sheriffs by Commissioner-Sheriff and have full Police powers on duty pursuant to Subdivision 57a of Section 2.10 of the New York State Criminal procedure Law

They Render assistance to local municipalities throughout the County. The PSEF also worked a number of special assignments, including several DWI check-points. Emergency Force members are required to complete rigorous, state and county certified training programs. Each member receives over 140 hours of in-service training in such areas as firearms proficiency, Penal Law Article 35, use of shotgun, Vehicle & Traffic Law, traffic control, vehicle stops, emergency vehicle operation, dignitary protection, in-service road patrol
training and terrorism indicators and reporting. They have to re-qualify firearms yearly.

AREAS OF TRAINING INCLUDE:

Penal Law / Criminal Procedure Law
Search & Seizure
Arrest / Detention
Article 35
Defensive Tactics
Expandable Baton / OC Spray
Firearms
Traffic & Crowd Control
Vehicle & Traffic Law
Vehicle Stops
Emergency Vehicle Operations
Dignitary Protection
Explosive Devices

Stop...PSEF are glorified auxiliaries...they have nothing to do with the County Police and don't assist County Police Officers on patrol or on any enforcement detail. They direct traffic at the request of other municipalities at large scale events.

D

DaveNF2G

Without a sheriff, who runs the jail and does civil process service for the courts? According to the NY Constitution, those are the duties of a county sheriff.

enwhypeedee

Without a sheriff, who runs the jail and does civil process service for the courts? According to the NY Constitution, those are the duties of a county sheriff.

Westchester County Department of Corrections runs the jail.

Westchester and NYC are the exception to the law:

In the counties within the city of New York, the city commissioner of correction shall have custody of the correctional facilities within the jurisdiction of the New York city department of correction.  In the county of Westchester, the county commissioner of correction shall have custody of all county correctional facilities.  

Westchester County Police Department handles civil procedures. There are plainclothes police officers assigned to the Civil Unit which is located in White Plains across from Westchester County Court who do evictions and such.

The Commissioner of Westchester County PD is the defacto Sheriff of Westchester and the Deputy Commissioner is the defacto Undersheriff of Westchester County, but neither of them go by this title nor does this title officially appear anywhere or when they are addressed. The Commissioner of appointed by the County Executive as well.

wac1

Stop...PSEF are glorified auxiliaries...they have nothing to do with the County Police and don't assist County Police Officers on patrol or on any enforcement detail. They direct traffic at the request of other municipalities at large scale events.
You stop. You are misinformed. We work with WCPD for Sobriety checkpoints. We are trained for active shooter situations. Some of us are pistol and long gun experts. Some of us are ex-military or ex-cops and martial artists. We train frequently and are an independent, capable, credentialed NYS law enforcement agency. Not a glorified auxiliary. You should come visit us. Lastly, in today's world large scale events have become one of the most potentially dangerous environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.