NYSP Identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Hi all,
I am seeking some information from the community. I seeking help in identifying New York State Police vehicles. I am helping to organize and update a few wiki pages and within those wiki pages there is some information that is inaccurate or incomplete. To give an example, the information regarding the patrol vehicles in some towns are missing, like what their identifier is (3K-##, 2A-##, 7K-###, Etc).

I have linked a few wiki pages that i am trying to edit. So i am asking the community to help me, so i can make updates to the wiki pages. Thank you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/NY_State_Police_(NY)

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
I am seeking some information from the community. I seeking help in identifying New York State Police vehicles. I am helping to organize and update a few wiki pages and within those wiki pages there is some information that is inaccurate or incomplete. To give an example, the information regarding the patrol vehicles in some towns are missing, like what their identifier is (3K-##, 2A-##, 7K-###, Etc).

I have linked a few wiki pages that i am trying to edit. So i am asking the community to help me, so i can make updates to the wiki pages. Thank you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/NY_State_Police_(NY)

1-4 are zones that car is assigned too. Some troop cars will not have a zone number assigned to it. Just the

5's are BCI
7's are usually small towns, and village police agencies that are dispatched by state police.
8's are park police

KC2zZe

I opened up the link in Post #5 above for Troop F. Within Zone 2 there is listed an SP Newburgh barracks. SP Newburgh is a Troop T barracks, not a Troop F barracks. The OP may have confused the Stewart Airport Detail (an airport often thought of as being in Newburgh, when it's actually in New Windsor) with SP Newburgh, which is located within the Thruway Authority's Interchange 17 maintenance complex.

While we're on the subject, I didn't notice a link for Troop T in post #5 above. Was that an oversight? Or there isn't a thread to link to? In either case, within Zone 1, I can offer up SP Tarrytown (currently located within the Thruway Authority's Interchange 12 maintenance complex in West Nyack, while their new barracks are being built back in Tarrytown) and SP Newburgh.

Also, missing from Troop F's Zone 2 is SP Middletown. While it is the Troop headquarters, and all that entails regarding administration, it is also an active patrol barracks as well. And, last, but not least, SP Deerpark is one word, not two. Often confused with Deer Park, in Suffolk County.

Last edited:

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I opened up the link in Post #5 above for Troop F. Within Zone 2 there is listed an SP Newburgh barracks. SP Newburgh is a Troop T barracks, not a Troop F barracks. The OP may have confused the Stewart Airport Detail (an airport often thought of as being in Newburgh, when it's actually in New Windsor) with SP Newburgh, which is located within the Thruway Authority's Interchange 17 maintenance complex.

While we're on the subject, I didn't notice a link for Troop T in post #5 above. Was that an oversight? Or there isn't a thread to link to? In either case, within Zone 1, I can offer up SP Tarrytown (currently located within the Thruway Authority's Interchange 12 maintenance complex in West Nyack, while their new barracks are being built back in Tarrytown) and SP Newburgh.

Also, missing from Troop F's Zone 2 is SP Middletown. While it is the Troop headquarters, and all that entails regarding administration, it is also an active patrol barracks as well. And, last, but not least, SP Deerpark is one word, not two. Often confused with Deer Park, in Suffolk County.

Thanks this helps info helps alot. This helps me in editing the wiki pages.

There are no wiki links for troop T or Troop NYC im thinking of creating pages for them.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Troop T is usually listed as part of the Thruway Authority. In the old days, Thruway cars did not say "State Police" on the trunk lids.

Zone 9 is communications.

There are also letters that do not correspond to patrol Troops.

H - HQ or Helicopter
N - Department of Environmental Conservation
X - Various state agencies around the Capitol in Albany.

sc800

Actually there was an SP Newburgh years ago, replaced by SP Montgomery.

Also at least in Troop F Zone 2 2F3 through 2F9 are patrol vehicles out of Monroe not supervisors. 2F5 to my knowledge is not the zone LT

KC2zZe

Building on Post #5's links above, using the same format, here's my understanding...

Troop L

HQ = Farmingdale

Zone 1 (Nassau County) - Lake Success (Farmingdale, Valley Stream)

Zone 2 (western Suffolk County) - Brentwood

Zone 3 (eastern Suffolk County) - Riverhead (Fishers Island)

Zones 5 through 9 follow the typical Troop layout.

Troop NYC

HQ = Wards Island

Troop NYC (Troop M, as in Manhattan, on marked Troop cars) is unlike any other troop in the state. Prior to this Cuomo/deBlasio spat, troopers and investigators assigned to Troop NYC worked either in conjunction with other agencies (e.g.: District Attorney's Offices' Squads) or as part of task forces (e.g.: Joint Terrorist, Drug Enforcement, etc.). I don't know what this spat has done to Troop NYC's structure within the City. Are there now zones as we see them throughout the rest of the state?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am helping to organize and update a few wiki pages and within those wiki pages there is some information that is inaccurate or incomplete.

Let's not forget Troop L as KC2zZe points out.

The map on this page does not even reflect Troop L on Long island

Either this, http://www.nytrooper.com/images/troop_map_interactive.gif or this https://centennial.troopers.ny.gov/sites/all/themes/centennialzen/images/nysp-troops.png should be used on that main page.

Looking good.

sc800

Troop F

F51-F59 CVEU
F80-F89 CVEU
F102-F11X - TIMS Units
F201 - CITE car
F202- CITE Zone 2 car

For Troop F Zone 2:

2F3 - 2F10, 2F13 - Monroe Patrols
2F11,2F14 - Florida Patrols
2F15-2F19, 2F21, 2F22-2F25 - Greenville Patrols
2F20,2F28 - Deerpark Patrols
2F26-2F29 - Middletown Patrols
2F30,2F32-2F36,2F38,2F39 - Montgomery Patrols
2F31,2F37 - Stewart Airport Detail
2F40-2F49 - Havestraw Patrols
2F51-2F53 - Supervisors
2F54-2F64,2F66 - Middletown Patrols
2F65 - Pine Bush patrol
2F70-2F79 - New Hampton Patrols (I-84)
2F80-2F86 - Canine
2F88 - Monroe Highway Car
2F89 - Middletown Highway Car
7F21X - Crawford Police (Deprecated)
7F22X - Deerpark Police (Deprecated)
8FXX - State Park Police
8F60-8F69 - State Park Forest Rangers
8F80- State Park Police canine

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Within Zone 2 there is listed an SP Newburgh barracks. SP Newburgh is a Troop T barracks, not a Troop F barracks.

I didn't notice a link for Troop T in post #5 above.

Also, missing from Troop F's Zone 2 is SP Middletown.
I Have added some of the info to Troop F, I have added a lot and i have removed the SP Newburgh barracks and migrate that info to the new Troop T page.

Building on Post #5's links above, using the same format, here's my understanding...

Troop L

HQ = Farmingdale

Troop NYC

HQ = Wards Island
On the main State Police wiki page some Troops Don't have a wiki page like NYC, T and L.

Let's not forget Troop L as KC2zZe points out.

The map on this page does not even reflect Troop L on Long island

Looking good.
On the main State Police wiki page some Troops Don't have a wiki page like NYC, T and L.
I have also changed and updated the picture on the main page.

Troop F

F51-F59 CVEU
F80-F89 CVEU
F102-F11X - TIMS Units
F201 - CITE car
F202- CITE Zone 2 car

For Troop F Zone 2:

2F3 - 2F10, 2F13 - Monroe Patrols...
Thanks for the info and it has been put into the wiki.

Now i have ran into some trouble with creating wiki pages i don't really know how to create a wiki page and i have searched on the wiki endleessly and found nothing, Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can create a wiki page?

Last edited:

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Last edited:

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
As far as Troop M goes, I have noticed the following.

Most of the vehicles I am seeing in NYC now have the "M" on the license plates. As opposed to when they first started making an appearance here where many had different letters as they were assigned from other areas of the state.

There is a Rockaway outpost (dark blue painted full sized office trailer with "NYSP Rockaway" sign affixed to it) that is situated in the Marine Parkway Bridge employee parking lot on the Brooklyn side of the bridge. There are usually 1 or 2 marked NYSP (not TBTA) vehicles parked next to it. That doesn't mean there are only 2 vehicles assigned there. I am sure there are more, but they must be out on patrol.
That "troop" patrols the Rockaways, the southern end of Flatbush Avenue, Cross Bay Blvd and the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn.

I haven't noticed any other "outposts", but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

I have also noticed more of the new marked Dodge Charger NYSP vehicles in the city (complete with highway extendable lightbar arms) Don't know if those are the new types of vehicles Albany is purchasing statewide, or if those are specifically for highway patrol areas.

Many of the state trooper vehicles are 2-man units as well. I would expect that in the NYC environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.