We will provide updates on the status of the NYC NOAA Weather Radio
Transmitter through Public Information Statements when more
information becomes available.

$$

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
NOAA Weather Radio - KWO-35 NYC
NWS NY has had this problem a few years ago in the past where their signal was interfering with VHF Marine Channels especially Marine 16.

Their timing couldn't be worse ... "process taking several months" ...
that is right through the heart of the Winter Forecast season!!!

For North Jersey users: Suggest monitoring KZZ31 162.500 Hardyston (Sussex Co.) as an alternate.
For Central E. Jersey users: WXM80 162.450 (Monmouth Co.)
For a complete list of NOAA WX Radios stations covering New Jersey See: LINK

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Back when KWO-35 first started it was located in Rockefeller Center in NYC and had a genuine human announcer hi hi. I guess it has moved a few times since then. It can still be received out here in Western NJ. Will miss it, hopefully it'll be back on the air soon.

Thanks K2YYN and mondero for the heads up.

Darkstar350

Great to know
Thanks for the heads up

Also if anyone in the NY/NJ metro would be intrested in a somewhat alternate KWO35 - and with a bit of luck ;) - 162.475 is also quite accurate
The antenna is in Suffolk County Long Island but again with good conditions and a decent antenna you may be able to pick it up in some parts of NJ
Its a bit of a toss up at times - sometimes it just seems to be a direct simulcast of KWO35 - other times it seems to be more specific to eastern long island and parts of CT...

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
NOAA WX Radio (New Jersey)

Great to know
Thanks for the heads up

Also if anyone in the NY/NJ metro would be intrested in a somewhat alternate KWO35 - and with a bit of luck ;) - 162.475 is also quite accurate
The antenna is in Suffolk County Long Island but again with good conditions and a decent antenna you may be able to pick it up in some parts of NJ
Its a bit of a toss up at times - sometimes it just seems to be a direct simulcast of KWO35 - other times it seems to be more specific to eastern long island and parts of CT...

It also depends on atmospheric and weather conditions. Sometimes I'll use VHF NOAA WX stations to determine if VHF Hi band Troposphere Ducting is taking place. If there is ducting taking place, I'll receive NOAA WX Radio on ALL 7 US WX Channels. However I digress...

Under normal conditions, it all depends on your antenna, height, distance, if there are any geographic obstructions between you and the NOAA WX station you want to receive. In my earlier post, I placed a link for all the NOAA WX radio stations that cover New Jersey. Your just going have to find the best ones that cover your area. It sometimes is a "hit" or "Miss" situation and there is also a remote possibility your location is in a RF hole and you will not receive any NOAA WX stations:roll:. Good Luck!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
They've also had a transmitter problem for a while. The power amplifier failed, and the transmitter didn't perform 100% after they replaced it. They've been on the backup for several months. That plus the interference...ugh.

All of the above being the reason KWO35 has been listed as "degraded" for almost a year.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Local NOAA as seen on an SDR dongle

K2YYN has a good point about using NOAA wx stations as indicatorz of propagation. Here in West NJ sometimes stations in PA and NY that are not normally heard come in, but mostly on the weak side. Attached is a screen grab of NOAA wx station reception spectrum. It was taken a while ago from this QTH using a discone mounted on the chimney, a RTL-SDR dongle, and SDR# software. Pretty neat.

Attachments

• noaawithspectrumlbls.jpg
    noaawithspectrumlbls.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,828

ansky

Now that most people get weather alerts on their phones and over the internet, it is hard to believe any of these NWS transmitters are still on the air.

Darkstar350

Now that most people get weather alerts on their phones and over the internet, it is hard to believe any of these NWS transmitters are still on the air.

Valid point - but over time i have found that KWO35 has been as accurate or more accurate that any other weather channel, news station ,etc in the area
The trick with the NOAA stations is timing
If you monitor the wx channels closely you will figure out the exact time of the hour they give the alerts/advisorys, marine weather , etc
Plenty of times i have told others about weather warnings and whatnot that i had heard on WX some hours before they heard it on their news or weather channels...

mondaro

Feed Provider

Not hard to believe at all, what happens when the cell networks go down and it does happen.

Problems is people are out of touch with the basics.

Just my 2 cents.

K2RNI

Not hard to believe at all, what happens when the cell networks go down and it does happen.

Problems is people are out of touch with the basics.

Just my 2 cents.

It's just people lacking any ability to think for themselves getting caught up in the hyoed up marketing of the smartphone fad. Claiming everything is outdated to feel special about themselves (although a majority of the things these people still do is outdated, lack of basic logic) and pretending everything can be replaced with a smartphone. Might as well not even use any scanner or radio or come this forum at all by that flawed logic.

A smartphone is like a digital version of a multitool/swiss army knife, convenient, one thing to fit in your pocket for loads of different situations. But as nice as my Swisschamp is you would be a braindead retard to go throwing out your entire toolchest after buying one. It's a supplement/convenience to fill a void, not a replacement.

Also the weather radio sounds off well before the phone and reliably everytime without fail unlike the phone.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Just read an article about the NAB (Nat'l Assoc. of Broadcasters) distributing 10,000 battery-powered portable radios to residents of Puerto Rico due to the hurricane. Good example of the older existing technology proving itself useful in an emergency.

mlmummert

Well I have weather radios at both my home and office with battery backup that monitor for weather emergencies and they both work fine when my iPhone battery is dead.

Btw I work in a safety sensitive industry where cell phone use is limited. Not everyone can be wedded to their cell phone at all hours of the day and night.

ansky

I suppose it depends on your industry and location, but I have been living in NJ for over 20 years and I can't think of a single situation where I wish I had had a weather radio. Just my 2 cents...

As a rough estimate, I would predict that less than 1% of the general population owns a radio capable of receiving NOAA weather broadcasts.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I suppose it depends on your industry and location, but I have been living in NJ for over 20 years and I can't think of a single situation where I wish I had had a weather radio. Just my 2 cents...

As a rough estimate, I would predict that less than 1% of the general population owns a radio capable of receiving NOAA weather broadcasts.

I can...Sandy.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
NOAA broadcasts are also sent over regular TV when wx conditions are severe, especially here in the Northeast during the summer. They usually appear as strips of information at the bottom of the screen, sometimes with audio.

Count me in as part of that <1% who have a NOAA-capable radio hi hi.

asnhnetwork

why take it down ifbit will be a couple of months? Should have left it up however poorbuntil new site was ready to go,

RBFD415

My view on this - knowing how government works- they take it down for a few months and judge if there's any public outcry. They then drag it out as long as possible giving implausible excuses as to its absence. Finally a year or 2 into it they declare that in an effort to stem global climate change they are pursuing new technology frontiers in communications, all of which of course have nothing to do with the original issues!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.