NYPD Scanner newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

htqueensbury

Hi,

I just started listening to NYPD dispatch radio and have to say that it's pretty entertaining/interesting stuff!

I couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'm making a new thread and will probably post other questions when they arise :) Hope that's okay. Anyway...

I've heard a few dispatchers say "15 respond to the one." It might also be "response to the one/two/etc." or "responds to the one/two." I've only ever heard it said by a female black and a male Indian.

I presume that they're raising 115 Pct Response Unit 1/2. But how come they say it that way, as opposed to everyone else saying, "15 Response One?" Or do they mean something else?

Storm_king

Hi,

I just started listening to NYPD dispatch radio and have to say that it's pretty entertaining/interesting stuff!

I couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'm making a new thread and will probably post other questions when they arise :) Hope that's okay. Anyway...

I've heard a few dispatchers say "15 respond to the one." It might also be "response to the one/two/etc." or "responds to the one/two." I've only ever heard it said by a female black and a male Indian.

I presume that they're raising 115 Pct Response Unit 1/2. But how come they say it that way, as opposed to everyone else saying, "15 Response One?" Or do they mean something else?

Probably referring to shortened 10 codes. 10-1 = call the precinct, 10-2 = go to the precinct. The dispatchers (central) shorten everything to get more info out as quickly as possible. You eventually learn the lingo as just run with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htqueensbury

Wait, so does that mean that "15 respond to the two" means that ALL of the 115 Precinct units would return to the precinct?

htqueensbury

There's another phrase that I didn't catch. It sounds like "annie alley."

For context: "10-10 call for help, location, be advised possible child caller, unknown language unknown condition, something annie alley..."

ANI/ALI

There's another phrase that I didn't catch. It sounds like "annie alley."

For context: "10-10 call for help, location, be advised possible child caller, unknown language unknown condition, something annie alley..."

That's the caller's info, similar to caller ID:

ANI, the service provided to Basic 9-1-1 subscribers, stands for Automated Number Information. ALI, which is provided along with ANI to Enhanced 9-1-1 subscribers, stands for Automated Location Information. The 9-1-1 or ALI database is administered by the telephone companies and along with the MSAG is the backbone of the E9-1-1 system.

htqueensbury

You guys keep blowing my mind, thank you soooo much for helping me decode this stuff :D You're amazing!

So I guess that when dispatch says it's an ANI/ALI call, that's to advise police that the location may be inaccurate because the info isn't directly given by the caller.

Storm_king

You will hear central and the sectors talking back and forth about ani/ali when there is no one at the reported 911 location, and whoever is assigned (or central themselves) are trying to figure out the originating location of the 911 caller. It a step towards figuring out if the call is a hoax (if the call is in queens, no one is there when the sector gets to the location, and the cell site where the call originated is in another part of the city, the call may not be legit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny37

If it's the ANIALI comes back to a landline or voip number the correct address will show. Sometimes you'll hear calls come over as a 10-10 open line and it's usually a residence or a business that left the line open. If the dispatcher is on the phone long enough with a cell phone caller the system will try to ping the phone numerous times for a phase 2 ANIALI which gives the approximate location. Some phones give you a phase 1 location which is unreliable in terms of location but gives you a general location of the caller.

Learning the 10 codes are definitely helpful but nowadays dispatchers will say the code followed by the incident like "respond to this 52 dispute between GF and BF etc" some codes don't usually get a plug like the 3 digit codes like 10-6 or 10-3 etc.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
If it's the ANIALI comes back to a landline or voip number the correct address will show.

Assuming they haven’t moved and kept up on their address. I got a call once before from someone in California, after they moved from my area, because they didn’t update their address with Vontage.

nycpress

I think what you're hearing is "15 Response Auto 1..." These are not defined precinct sectors (Adam, Boy, etc.) but additional precinct units that go wherever needed.

htqueensbury

I think what you're hearing is "15 Response Auto 1..." These are not defined precinct sectors (Adam, Boy, etc.) but additional precinct units that go wherever needed.

I've heard "Response Auto 1" before and I'm not sure if it sounded like that, but then again maybe the dispatcher I thought was saying "respond to the 1" was mumbling or something. I really wish I had a recording of what I heard!

htqueensbury

I've heard "Response Auto 1" before and I'm not sure if it sounded like that, but then again maybe the dispatcher I thought was saying "respond to the 1" was mumbling or something. I really wish I had a recording of what I heard!

I have the n2nov.net NYPD 10-codes open at all times lol, still getting the hang of them.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber

I have the n2nov.net NYPD 10-codes open at all times lol, still getting the hang of them.

Its possible as well you're listening to Spec Ops or Citywide and you're hearing the special units being redirected to certain precincts or just dispatch reading out jobs that pertain to them possibly. Youll hear ESU trucks being notified like "respond to the 1 for a confirmed suspicious package"

or "In the 1-2-0, Hazmat gas odor (insert address here)"

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I live between Queens Blvd and Grand Ave in the 108th pct. So when 108-Adam comes across, They just say "8 Adam" the same with 114-Adam = "14-Adam"
You'll get the hang of it after while. I've been listening for 22 years. What precinct area are you located in? I listen to 42/44, 72/76/78 and the 25/28/32 for all the action at night.

Danny37

I live between Queens Blvd and Grand Ave in the 108th pct. So when 108-Adam comes across, They just say "8 Adam" the same with 114-Adam = "14-Adam"
You'll get the hang of it after while. I've been listening for 22 years. What precinct area are you located in? I listen to 42/44, 72/76/78 and the 25/28/32 for all the action at night.

Don't forget the 73/75 and 67/71

htqueensbury

After listening for so much longer, NYCPress seems to be right on the money, I'm hearing "5 Response Auto 1." It's like how when you hear some words of a song and could've sworn it was one thing, then you read the lyrics and hear it again, it sounds like the lyrics haha.

The question is, how come some dispatchers add the word "auto" and others don't? I guess officially the unit's called Response Auto 1, but dispatchers shorten to Response 1?

I just listen to 110/115. Slowly making my way into SOD and CW2, sometimes Transit too.

While scanning, I came across 453.1000 MHz. I looked it up and found this:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?freq=453.1&action=cf&ctid=1855

But it doesn't say what the agency is. It's usually pretty boring stuff, just people doing radio checks and asking portables to call landline, but still curious.

htqueensbury

Oh yeah, one more question: What's "DDO?" Or maybe DDL? As in, "115 DDO/DDL on the air."

Other possible acronyms might be: TDL TDO TTO TTL (the T might sound like a D or vice versa).

Status
Not open for further replies.