Picking up the following system in the Albany area:

WACN: 91FE8
SysID: 26D
NAC: 904
Site: 20
MFID: M/A Com
Call Sign: WNNU667

CC:769.68125

Researching the above, everything but the NAC matches up with the NYC Metro-25 system, including the NYSP NYC call sign.

After a few hours of monitoring, nothing appearing in call history. Anyone have any info on this system?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Nice,,, wish the conditions were in my favor. I am on eastern Long Island..

Some say the system is basically quiet. I do hear activity when I am in range of the system...

VHF Propagation Map

mastrIII

I don't think diver is picking up Metro-25 from NYC but rather a possible new site they are testing in Albany. 769.68125 isn't a frequency used on the simulcast site in NYC. Also he is picking up site 20, NYC is site 1. Metro-25 is the only state trunking system so it wouldn't surprise me if they are going to build off of that for the rest of the state. MTA Police (one of the big users of Metro-25) have licenses for a lot of 700MHz trunking frequencies (I think because they received grants from Homeland), so I would be expecting a lot of new sites popping up from Albany out to Long Island. Check out these licenses WQOZ549 WQOZ550 neither have 769.68125 listed but then again there's not even a single license for that in NY.

This is all speculation of course.

As far as picking up the NYC Simulcast Site with a scanner it's at times impossible even within the city, on my APX7000 I can pick it up as far as Beacon Mtn. and Western Suffolk County.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you're receiving this courtesy of Tropospheric Ducting? Many years ago, living in southwestern Rhode Island, I received very clear NYPD transmissions on UHF frequencies. That's a distance of approximately 115 miles using a multi-band rooftop-mounted antenna.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
NYC Metro 25 In Albany?????

Interesting. I'm getting the very same readings and I'm in a big RF "hole" here in Glenmont NY!! I cant get many of the local P25 systems here at all!

diver

I guess I should have worded my title/post a little differently, this is definitely a local system I'm picking up.

What I find interesting is that this frequency appears to be a 700 mhz a interoperability channel and is licensed by "by rule" for mobile units, base units appear to require a license. A search of the FCC ULS returns only three hits for this frequency, (2) that were issued in Puerto Rico (expired) and (1) in Austin Texas (canceled). All three were "special temporary" on a "SY" classification for Trunked Public Safety 700 MHZ.

Also interesting, the MFID shows as M/A-COM. "M/A-COM", became "MACOM" around 2009, the same time that NYS canceled it's contract with Tyco Electronics (parent of M/A-COM). Could this be a forgotten part of the old statewide system that failed?

I also noticed that the modulation type keeps switching between C4FM and CQPSK, but there's been no calls logged.

The Metro-25 system only has about 5 towers in the NYC area, so if this is an active system build out, there's 14 more towers somewhere. .

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That frequency is a state license channel under WPTZ779. Each state is licensed a block of 700 MHz channels to use without further site-specific licensing. One agency in the state holds the license, but they can be used by other agencies or local governments by agreement.
It is not an interoperability channel.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
"The MTA Police Department is the law enforcement agency for the Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and the Staten Island Railway, which together serve nearly 170 million passengers annually. The MTAPD’s jurisdiction extends across 14 counties in two states, covering approximately 5,000 square miles.

As part of its daily operations, MTA PD police officers require the use of a two-way radio system as the primary method of receiving dispatch orders, reporting information back to headquarters, and to call for emergency aid and assistance. Through this contract, the existing MTA police radio system will be upgraded and enhanced to modern specifications, improving communications throughout the MTA PD’s entire service territory.

The project involves strategic partnerships with local and state agencies, and includes the installation of modernized equipment at 69 sites throughout 14 counties"

MTA | Press Release | MTA Headquarters | MTA Awards 20-Year, $70 Million Contract to Rochester-Based Firm

diver

"The MTA Police Department is the law enforcement agency for the Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and the Staten Island Railway, which together serve nearly 170 million passengers annually. The MTAPD’s jurisdiction extends across 14 counties in two states, covering approximately 5,000 square miles.

MTA | Press Release | MTA Headquarters | MTA Awards 20-Year, $70 Million Contract to Rochester-Based Firm

The call sign being broadcast on the system, WNNU667, comes back to NYSP, so I doubt this has anything to do with the MTA system.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you're right. I'm incorrect.

Mods can kill my posts to eliminate confusion..

D

DaveNF2G

I did a search in the ULS for any state frequencies between 700 and 900 MHz and all of the hits (there weren't many) came back to the State Police.

BTW, there is still a license for two 800 MHz channels at the Agency 3 building.

medic190

Metro 25

There were plans to add a site in Albany to utilize the Metro25 system back a few years ago. Makes sense in the 'continuity of Government' aspect...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
While the licenses seem to be to New York State, some time ago the state gave up ownership so as not lose the channels due to non construction. They handed most if not all to the MTA which does have the money to do the build out. There are numerous agencies that want to piggyback on to their system including Putnam County, and Palisades Parkway Police. I was working with both of those agencies to get them to the right people.

Don't know about in the Albany area, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.