MTA Police Portables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Listening to the MTA channels, the Police Portables always come up as digital hash.
NOT encrypted (I think).
Using a 325P2 so not Phase 2
Any idea? Is it DMR or some other protocol?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Listening to the MTA channels, the Police Portables always come up as digital hash.
NOT encrypted (I think).

Where are you located and what freqs are you tuned to?

Danny37

Are you sure it's not P25, I could've sworn they were using Harris portables last time I was in grand central station.

scosgt

It is listed on the database as conventional channels. Grand Central might also be Amtrak, that would be a different system. This is MTA, and they are listed as Police Portables, but all I get is hash.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
NOT encrypted (I think).

What frequency are you monitoring, and were are you monitoring from?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You are a premium subscriber. If you search those 5 freqs, you will see that 3 out of those 5 freqs labeled portables are registered to other entities as well as Mta. 2 of them are Onevoice and 1 is St Johns University in NYC. All digital. That's for the whole state so you have to see what freq comes back to what site and figure out if that's what your getting. Do you have a digital scanner?

Last edited:

scosgt

You are a premium subscriber. If you search those 5 freqs, you will see that 3 out of those 5 freqs labeled portables are registered to other entities as well as Mta. 2 of them are Onevoice and 1 is St Johns University in NYC. All digital. That's for the whole state so you have to see what freq comes back to what site and figure out if that's what your getting. Do you have a digital scanner?

That is interesting. I have a 325 that is not upgraded to DMR but I am really close to St. Johns when I hear them. Will have to try with my PRO-668 upgraded. I may well be hearing St. Johns. Which of course raises the question - where are the MTA portables hiding?

scosgt

Just programmed the 668. On portable 5 (452.8625) still getting digital noise. Have the modulation set to "auto". Going to change to DMR just for laughs.

4-crime

MTA Police use Motorola APX7000’s. From what I understand they all use VHF/7-800Mhz model 3.5’s.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Grand Central might also be Amtrak, that would be a different system.

Amtrak Police do not patrol or have rights to Patrol GCT. Just MTA Police. Not even for this summer while Empire Service trains are being diverted to GCT during the CP-Inwood/Sputyen Duyvil Movable Bridge overhaul. MTA Police have APX7000's in VHF/700-800MHz. Depending on their assignment they have access to Metro-25 and Connecticut State Police.

mastrIII

They also have Harris Portables in their vehicles in the UHF range (to use with the vehicle's mobile repeater) that they take with them when they need to get out of the car and use a portable but the coverage is not good in that area. For people who don't understand: mobile radios have more power so when they are in an area with bad coverage and need to use a portable radio they use a mobile repeater which will repeat anything coming in on the mobile radio in the car to those uhf freqs on the portable (on low power-so you would have to be near a vehicle to hear anything on those freq.) and when they talk on the portable (low power) the mobile repeater transmits the signal over the mobile radio (high power). If you're in the city I don't think you will hear much use on those freqs, maybe eastern Long Island or up North where the base stations are more spread out.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Which MTA Police Pct. and where. Most if not all the current radios both mobile and portable are APX series ( I helped with the planned reprogramming/corrections last spring). In GCT they use the VHF channel of 160.22 C.S., and there is a repeater for the terminal that only goes about a block around it. They also use the P-25 system on the Chrysler building a lot and that is P-25 Phase I. As I mentioned in a post last spring after the reprogramming that there ARE encrypted channels in the radios, and everything that they have right now as digital is P-25 Phase I. When they go on the updated Ct State Police system I believe they will go Phase II as the APX series supports it.
LIRR and Amtrak I have no idea as I never had any dealings with them directly, but maybe they still have the old UHF vehicle repeaters, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.