Port Authority Police NY/NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyland2300

Anyone know if port authority police went back to their conventional channels or switched from EDACS to P25? Saw a port authority officer carrying a Motorola APX at JFK the other day.

CqDx

PANYNJ is supposedly migrating to a P25 network, all FCC licenses now show P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2 emission designators.

If someone is near JFK airport may be they can scan around the 800 bands and see if a P25 system is online.

Harris is sunsetting EDACS. The next progression is P25. Might be getting phased in. Recent subscriber equipment (HTs and car radios) should have it in them.

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
Being it was being carried at JFK it is possible it was used as a NYPD/FDNY/EMS inter-ops radio I still hear PA loud and clear on there EDACS system just because EDACS is end of life does not mean it can not be used and a system that works as well as there's I won't see it
Changed anytime soon if you look at cost wise it is crazy they will need to out fit a small army with new equipment from officers all the way down to the maintenance guy.

K2NEC

Being it was being carried at JFK it is possible it was used as a NYPD/FDNY/EMS inter-ops radio I still hear PA loud and clear on there EDACS system just because EDACS is end of life does not mean it can not be used and a system that works as well as there's I won't see it
Changed anytime soon if you look at cost wise it is crazy they will need to out fit a small army with new equipment from officers all the way down to the maintenance guy.

From what I heard the company told PANYNJ that if one of their radio's breaks to just throw it away because they refuse to repair/service old EDACS radio's. They are pushing P25 and it looks like finally they might be switching over.

ansky

From what I heard the company told PANYNJ that if one of their radio's breaks to just throw it away because they refuse to repair/service old EDACS radio's. They are pushing P25 and it looks like finally they might be switching over.

Interesting. West Orange, NJ is one of the only other EDACS systems left in the tri-state area. I wonder if they will be making any changes. Union Township, NJ was also using an EDACS system but recently switched over to the NJICS state system.

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
West Orange is not only one South Brunswick, Cherry Hill, and & I believe Atlantic county is still using theirs and Database shows Essex county still has there's.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
The Essex County EDACS was never really used as much as it could of been. Don’t really understand why because it has a very strong signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NParkNJ

On the Road
Only a matter of time before Cherry Hill vacates EDACS, as they already have a TG on the TRS for interops with surrounding towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Where did you hear that?

We were told the same thing by our repair company too. Granted, we were using MRK 2 portables that were 17 years old, but they told us the same thing. “Buy something new, these are not worth fixing”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Well considering an APX portable will not work on EDACS, you can buy all you want to replace that subscriber, but when it doesn’t work on the actual system it’s a very expensive paperweight. PAPD is still load and clear on EDACS. They have NOT migrated to a P25 trunked system as of yet with plans to do so in the future.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes they are using one frequency on off hours as a P25 control channel and another as a voice channel. This doesn’t mean that they migrated. The control goes off the air. EDACS will be chugging along for a while.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Got sidetracked when making the post. Was just pointing out that testing was noted. Did not imply migration was taking place..

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Between EWR, LGA, JFK and all the bridges and tunnels I’m interested in seeing where they will be building out all the sites.

K2NEC

Quote"
From what I heard the company told PANYNJ that if one of their radio's breaks to just throw it away because they refuse to repair/service old EDACS radio's.

What company, since interestingly enough they have their own radio shop that does all the maintenence.

Harris, actually.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Then that's a change from when I applied to THEIR OWN in house radio repair shop. Located at LGA Marine Air Terminal the old WTC and other places. There is no Harris shop per se it's all subcontracted, Eastern Comm is the closest in Long Island City, I know of them since I have to sometimes have to deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.