FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Is there any update as to them going Tetra or P-25

FCC was against Tetra mode

Any word?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The FCC only said that you couldn't put Tetra on PS bands, NYC is using Business bands.

Well no, not exactly. The FCC ordered that TETRA was not permitted in the NPSPAC portion of the 800 MHz band, which is 851-854 MHz, as well as the 700 MHz band. It is permitted, however, in the 854-860 portion of the band, which includes public safety as well as B/ILT and SMR.

In fact NJ Transit's TETRA licenses are YE (PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked), which clearly dispels the idea that TETRA is not permitted in a public safety band.

It's an important distinction.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I did a bit more research, and it turns out that the FCC did indeed type accept TETRA equipment for use in the 700 MHz band last year (Part 90 compliant, generally speaking).

NYCTA, which operates the MTA buses, currently has 7 active SY (Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz) licenses with TETRA emission designators, with 25 more in the pipeline.

So we now have two clear examples of TETRA systems that are licensed in public safety bands, as well as type acceptance of the equipment.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
So Boo Hoo for mother M, they were not happy it went this way, they tried to use the FCC to prevent the Tetra systems, but lost. My info goes back 2 years, and I havn't spoke to the principles since then,so I am a little out of date.
It's not the old days where M is King, they tried to wangle back in by saying they would build a radio just for NYCTA, but were turned down, and I don't blame NYCTA either.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Agreed, however I do find it amusing that Power Trunk's equipment was not yet Part 90 type accepted at the time of the bid. So yes, the hardware already existed, but wasn't compliant. It just goes to show that when it comes right down to it, all of these corporations will play whatever games necessary to make a buck. Motorola is perceived as being the worst offender because they've been the largest public safety RF manufacturer in the US for decades, however they're hardly alone when it comes to these sort of things.

What's more interesting is the fact that apparently the FCC has quietly allowed TETRA to operate in the 700 band without much fuss made over it. I haven't gone crazy researching it, however my cursory searches don't reveal any formal R&O that would rescind the 2012 ruling that TETRA wasn't permitted in the 700 band. And yet they type accepted the hardware for 700/800, go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.