NC State Police Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitdude22

Hello! I am traveling down to the Outer Banks this weekend for vacation. I was wondering what frequencies the NC State Police use (and have a decent amount of traffic). I saw a whole bunch on the database, but I wasn't sure which ones were actually used pretty often or used at all.

N8IAA

Looking at the database, under the VIPER system, there is a link to a map of the different troop areas and the frequencies that they use. It appears that lo-band vhf is still used in that area. I know that the NC people on this list know better than me;)
Larry

CCHLLM

Well, since we don't have a state police system here, we'll go with the Highway Patrol if that's what you're looking for. Those freqs are low band and 800 mHz VIPER, and all are listed in the database here. Currituck, Dare, and Hyde Counties are the tthree that you'll zero in on, but a lot of the routine traffic is handled on the mobile data system, and VIPER traffic isn't exactly crowded. The troopers seem to have Currituck, Dare, and Hyde County radios, too, and you'll hear more traffic there than on the patrol side unless something goes down. They use their state radio numbers, so picking them out of the Sheriff's traffic isn't too difficult. Just don't want you to think your radio's broken when you don't hear much on the low band or the 800 side. When trying to monitor the SHP down that way, ya kinda have to put it all together to get a picture of the SHP radio traffic in that portion of the state. Oh, and if you don't have a good low band antenna, it's going to be even more sparse on the low band side.

Last edited:

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Well, since we don't have a state police system here, we'll go with the Highway Patrol if that's what you're looking for. Those freqs are low band and 800 mHz VIPER, and all are listed in the database here. Currituck and Dare Counties are the two that you'll zero in on, but a lot of the routine traffic is handled on the mobile data system, and VIPER traffic isn't exactly crowded. The troopers seem to have Dare and Currituck County radios, too, and you'll hear more traffic there than on the patrol side unless something goes down. They use their state radio numbers, so picking them out of the Sheriff's traffic isn't too difficult. Just don't want you to think your radio's broken when you don't hear much on the low band or the 800 side. When trying to monitor the SHP down that way, ya kinda have to put it all together to get a picture of the SHP radio traffic in that portion of the state. Oh, and if you don't have a good low band antenna, it's going to be even more sparse on the low band side.

To amplify on this statement and (hopefully) assist:

State Police is refered to as the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI). They conduct criminal investigations within the state. They have VHF frequencies as well as a presence on VIPER which is both Analog and Digital. I know they do not transmit much on radio to begin with.

As for NC SHP, their domain is Traffic law enforcement within unincorporated areas (if they have their own police department, SHP does not patrol unless assistance is asked for). They predominantly are doing Speeding and other traffic enforcement, as such this weekend will likely be a hotbed of activity with substantial DWI checkpoints being conducted. They utilize lo band and depending on the area VIPER. Dispatch is done predominately via MDT with backup on radio.

If you can advise where you are going, I would also recommend that you use the FCC Licences tab and program in frequencies that are not listed in the database to assist us in identifying as many frequencies as possible. There are 3 counties that cover the outer banks and that is Hyde, Dare, and Currituck. I am reviewing the counties right now to ensure that you have as much information as possible.

Remember, just because the frequencies are not in the database does not mean they are not active, utilize the FCC Licences tab to help us find other frequencies that are not identified!

Your mileage may vary of course!

Cheers

rabbitdude22

Thanks

Hey thanks everyone! I understand now that not every state has an actual state police, but it varies on how much of an higher authority cop everyone wants. I'll be sure to keep your comments in mind! I'm going to be around Duck, NC, but to get there I will also be passing through Currituck County.

Last edited:

tim-obx

OBX Scanner Freqs

Hello! I am traveling down to the Outer Banks this weekend for vacation. I was wondering what frequencies the NC State Police use (and have a decent amount of traffic). I saw a whole bunch on the database, but I wasn't sure which ones were actually used pretty often or used at all.

If you come to the Outer Banks you won't need to hear the State police since they don't do much on the OBX. I see them here now and then but very little. The other freqs are MUCH more active. Not much is on Viper so missing it makes you miss very little. State might still have 47 mhz listed but they don't use it much. there is a repeater on the 1000' tower in Mamie that does receive a 47mhz signal and then converts it to a different system, but I hear it being used almost zero these days.

http://obra.aginet.com/scanner-freqs.html

Above is a list I came up with years ago but is still good.
Tim
k4jar

CCHLLM

In regard to the list, I can confirm that the freqs listed are still good, but Dare Fire South is 155.775 PL 107.2, not 154.13. 154.13 is a simplex tactical freq, Tac 2, I think.

In real estate, it's "location, location, location." In radio, it's "update, update, update."

Last edited:

jthorpe

If you come to the Outer Banks you won't need to hear the State police since they don't do much on the OBX. I see them here now and then but very little. The other freqs are MUCH more active. Not much is on Viper so missing it makes you miss very little. State might still have 47 mhz listed but they don't use it much. there is a repeater on the 1000' tower in Mamie that does receive a 47mhz signal and then converts it to a different system, but I hear it being used almost zero these days.

http://obra.aginet.com/scanner-freqs.html

Above is a list I came up with years ago but is still good.
Tim
k4jar

The Highway Patrol still uses low band VHF down there all the time as it's the primary system down there, even though VIPER is working. They use low band in the car and 800mhz portables when out of the car. In addition, they tend to work on the county system a lot down there, too.

Keep in mind that there are no repeaters on the SHP lowband radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.