Problems with Winston-Salem Forsyth County 800 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Hello all,

Am I the only one having problems with the W-S/FC 800 MHz System? I primarily monitor with my 396XT and just recently (approx 1 week ago) it has been doing some crazy stuff.

First of all the system is set for scan and not search. I have the system broken down into groups for the different agencies. FC Fire, FC EMS, FC Sheriff, W-S Fire, W-S PD, Public Works, MISC, etc.... I scan all talkgroups for each agency in their respective group. 99.9%of the time I only scan the groups for FC Fire, FC EMS and W-S Fire.

The problem is this. The scanner will stop on random talkgroups (digital and analog, it doesn't matter) and while stopped it sounds like someone has a "dead key" on an analog TG. This "dead key" sound lasts for approx 30 secs and then random traffic is heard on that same TG. When I say random traffic, I mean I'll hear traffic from all agencies on the system. Sheriff, WSPD, EVERYONE, digital and analog traffic. When the transmission is over, the "dead key" sounds starts over and the whole process begins again. It is like the scanner locks up and starts recieving all traffic on the whole system. Eventually after the scanner decides to, it goes back to scanning normally and recieves traffic normally. Then it will start the process over.

It is totally random as to which TG it stops on when this crap starts. Sometimes it stops on a digital TG and sometimes it is analog. While it is "locked up" and doing this, you can turn the channel knob and it will go back to scanning as normal.

I have not made any programming changes so i do not believe there is a problem there.

In addition, I also scan several VIPER systems with the same scanner at the same time and haven't had any problems with anything except the W-S/FC System.

Just for record, when I am listening on the XTS2500 everything sounds fine and I don't know of any field units that a reporting trouble.

Wes

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Wes,
If you want, email me a Freescan file of your radio setup and I double check how everything is setup. Never hurts to have a second pair of eyes double checking how the radio is configured.
Marshall KE4ZNR

fcfd988

Feed Provider
I am using Butel ARC XT, not Free Scan. And like I said, I feel like the programming is correct I have been using the same programming in the scanner since I purchased it about 2 months ago and it just now started doing this.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am using Butel ARC XT, not Free Scan. And like I said, I feel like the programming is correct I have been using the same programming in the scanner since I purchased it about 2 months ago and it just now started doing this.

Perhaps W/S did some reconfiguring of their system layout?
Either way I hope ya get it figured out.
Marshall KE4ZNR

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Kendrick,

Are you using a 396XT?

Also they are in the process of re-banding, but are only re-programming the field radios currently. The Infastructure has not been touched yet.

I am not aware of any other changes. I work for Forsyth Co Fire and EMS Communications and we are kept up to date on the goings on within the system.

Wes

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
No im using a 106,
Like i said it appears to be working just fine for me. When did the rebanding started? Guilford just started rebanding but they are just in negoations. I will listen to it a little more tonight and see what happens. I have a limited signal but i am able to monitor them.

pboy

Hello all,

Am I the only one having problems with the W-S/FC 800 MHz System? I primarily monitor with my 396XT and just recently (approx 1 week ago) it has been doing some crazy stuff.

First of all the system is set for scan and not search. I have the system broken down into groups for the different agencies. FC Fire, FC EMS, FC Sheriff, W-S Fire, W-S PD, Public Works, MISC, etc.... I scan all talkgroups for each agency in their respective group. 99.9%of the time I only scan the groups for FC Fire, FC EMS and W-S Fire.

The problem is this. The scanner will stop on random talkgroups (digital and analog, it doesn't matter) and while stopped it sounds like someone has a "dead key" on an analog TG. This "dead key" sound lasts for approx 30 secs and then random traffic is heard on that same TG. When I say random traffic, I mean I'll hear traffic from all agencies on the system. Sheriff, WSPD, EVERYONE, digital and analog traffic. When the transmission is over, the "dead key" sounds starts over and the whole process begins again. It is like the scanner locks up and starts recieving all traffic on the whole system. Eventually after the scanner decides to, it goes back to scanning normally and recieves traffic normally. Then it will start the process over.

It is totally random as to which TG it stops on when this crap starts. Sometimes it stops on a digital TG and sometimes it is analog. While it is "locked up" and doing this, you can turn the channel knob and it will go back to scanning as normal.

I have not made any programming changes so i do not believe there is a problem there.

In addition, I also scan several VIPER systems with the same scanner at the same time and haven't had any problems with anything except the W-S/FC System.

Just for record, when I am listening on the XTS2500 everything sounds fine and I don't know of any field units that a reporting trouble.

Wes

Sounds like an interfering signal (on the scanner end of things) is hanging one or more of the voice channels . The scanner doesn't release the VC and whatever random talkgroups get assigned that channel are what you hear. Sometimes an unsquelched setting can trigger this too.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Did you make sure that the Motorola end code was turned on? This has happened to me on the Char/Meck system a few times; interference on a voice channel keeps it open so you hear traffic from the next random TG assigned to it, like pboy said. The end code solved my problem, maybe it'll work for you?

fcfd988

Feed Provider
The end code was not turned on. I changed the setting to analog and digital on and so far, so good. It is interesting that this had not happened previously since this had obviously not been turned on from the start.

Thanks to trumpetman for this fix!!!

Wes

dow35

I have been having similiar problems with guildford co.I am using a pro 2096 and sometime when scanning it stops on a id and just sits the for a minute and then scans even though know one is talking.Been doing it for three or four days

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I have been having similiar problems with guildford co.I am using a pro 2096 and sometime when scanning it stops on a id and just sits the for a minute and then scans even though know one is talking.Been doing it for three or four days

I have also noticed that mostly on Greensboro Police on my pro-106. After a dispatcher talks it sometimes reset and continues as normal. I thought it was my scanner but i guess not(big relief:D).

Last edited:

dow35

my pro2096 mostly does it on greenboro dispatch-3,ems dispatch and sheriff dispatch i also thought it was my scanner.Wonder what is causing it?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
my pro2096 mostly does it on greenboro dispatch-3,ems dispatch and sheriff dispatch i also thought it was my scanner.Wonder what is causing it?

Sat.night, within an hour it did it on GPD disp, 3,2,1 and it does it one at a time. I have not really checked on it for sheriff and ems but i will now that you brought it up. Sat night they did take the burlington site down for about 30min and i have noticed they have been doing a lot of radio testing. So who knows but i wish it would stop, its very frustrating.

randyK

I noticed this also, one time GPD Disp 2 switched all radios over to Tac 27 for dispatch. I heard the radio tech guys doing some system upgrades today, so maybe they will straighten it out. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.